Sunday Morning sounds

unlucki

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

First post so be gentle *pardon*

So house to self *bliss* listening to Pink Floyd discovery boxset on Tidal ;-) in anticipation of endless river vinyl arriving tomorrow !

Question/Advice ? I have a 2014 macbook air with audioquest dragonfly 1.2 feeding my amp (Pioneer A20) which so far all is good ! I also have Rega RP1 for my vinyl and Marantz cd6005 for my cd's. I believe my weak point maybe speakers ? I am running Cambridge Audio SX50's on pixel stands, I do a lot of varied listening from Slipknot to classical and everything inbetween at a generally 'below 9 'o clock' volume. My question would there be any mileage in a speaker upgrade maybe to the new Wharfedale 220's or Dali Zensor 1's ? My room/man cave/den is approx 4m by 5m ? Budget is no more than 250 gbp. To be honest quite like the overall sound but always seem to be striving for more ???

Many thanks in advance for advice or musings !

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't get too excited about the new pink Floyd album and make sure you have WYWH ready for afterwards..! Just googled your speakers and yes feel your system deserves better so get yourself to a shop and try......or get yourself onto a well known auction site and take at punt at some £500-£600 speakers secondhand.

Never have the speakers being the cheapest component in your set up, it's the hi fi law...!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Don't get too excited about the new pink Floyd album and make sure you have WYWH ready for afterwards..! Just googled your speakers and yes feel your system deserves better so get yourself to a shop and try......or get yourself onto a well known auction site and take at punt at some £500-£600 speakers secondhand.

Never have the speakers being the cheapest component in your set up, it's the hi fi law...!

This would be my advice too, especially since your man cave is a fairly big one! What I'm suggesting is you could pick up a pair of large vintage standmount speakers that would create a lovely sound in your man cave.

Matt

unlucki

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks ever so for advice thus far !*biggrin*

I am now looking at qacoustics concept 20's bit over my original budget though but I don't like buying used, remember the forum name *biggrin* Has anyone got thoughts on these as opposed to the wharfedale 220's or Dali Zensor 1's and how they would fit in with the rest of my system. The concept 20's will have to be good as they are nearly double the price !

Cheers

Trev

unlucki said:
Hi thanks ever so for advice thus far !*biggrin*

I am now looking at qacoustics concept 20's bit over my original budget though but I don't like buying used, remember the forum name *biggrin* Has anyone got thoughts on these as opposed to the wharfedale 220's or Dali Zensor 1's and how they would fit in with the rest of my system. The concept 20's will have to be good as they are nearly double the price !

Cheers

Trev

In my honest opinion the Concept 20's should not be considered. Good though they are they really step up a gear when used on the dedicated stands and to get this sound quality they should be bought as a pair, this puts them way outside your budget.

I think you should either buy the Wharfdales or, come away from your comfort zone, and buy some second-hand or even ex-demo floorstanders. These could be a better idea in the space you have.

Do not skimp on speakers as getting the best speakers for your room is often a difficult task but once you get it right they will take many an upgrade of your 'front end'.

You will definitely get a change of character if you change to one of the speakers you list. But I'd use the analogy that it will be a bit like adding a different filter to a modest lens. Only a finer lens will reveal much more, these will just change the colour.

You might prefer a change of speakers now, with a view to upgrading your amp. Can only repeat the obvious advice to listen to as many as possible before deciding. But also see if you can try a much better amp with modest speakers to appreciate the differences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts