Suitable replacement of 25y/o Audiolab 8000A Integrated Stereo Amp

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I replaced mine, some while ago, with a Roksan Kandy LIII which I bought second hand on eBay. It was a very good move. I got much more detail out of the music. I'm now beginning to think about replacing the Roksan.

A

Anonymous

Yeah v.strange ref post going AWOL but thanks for replying guys all the same.

8000A now pretty long in the tooth & over the years has needed several running repairs mainly i/p posts disintegrating. It runs hot &living in Cooktown FNQ Australia probably doesn’t help but as a result some of the pcb tracks have started lifting around where I’ve had to make repairs & has meant soldering in bridging wires to keep it going. Sounds lovely still but 25 years between amps isn’t bad going.

Main source is a Marantz CR603 which I render 16bit 44KHZ bit for bit copies of my CD’s as well as a growing 24bit 96Khz hi res file collection. Aux out from CR603 feeds 8000A biwired to & a pair of Mission 753 floorstanding speakers. I also have a Marantz CD94 with a Meridian 203 DAC but that pair is also great but doesn’t get much use now my whole cd collection is bit for bit digitised.

I’ve been eyeing the Marantz PM6004 for a while but my shortlist also includes the Rega Brio-R, Cyrus 6A & now the Rotel RA-10 (although not yet available here in Australia).

I like the Rega for it’s simplicity as I never utilised the tone circuit or headphone input on the 8000A so not having those on the Rega kind of seems right. I’m a big Marantz fan so negating what I’ve just said I do hanker towards the PM6004.

I just wondered what people thought of those amps mentioned, which would be best for my Mission 753’s & if there is any other more suitable amps that maybe I’ve neglected.

Someone mentioned a Denon PMA 1510 but I’ve not heard anything of this as such.

Hope there is plenty views – Thanks all

Hi FNQ_chris and welcome to the forum.

Can you actually listen to any of the amps listed or are you going to buy on spec?

If you do not intend looking at a newer Audiolab model then my money would definitely be on the Brio-R, a stunning little amp for the money. Obviously I have not heard the Rotel as its only just become available but again this seems to have the unnecessary controls you were on about. Keep it simple I say! If you don't need them then why pay good money for them.

I, personally, do not like Denon amps but that's just me but I do think they make decent AV receivers.

A

Anonymous

What about the Rotel RA-12 more powerful than RA-10 and has a new built in DAC ?

A

Anonymous

Chris i found my first posts missing until i changed internet explorer to compatibility mode....

FNQ_Chris said:
Yeah v.strange ref post going AWOL but thanks for replying guys all the same.

8000A now pretty long in the tooth & over the years has needed several running repairs mainly i/p posts disintegrating. It runs hot &living in Cooktown FNQ Australia probably doesn’t help but as a result some of the pcb tracks have started lifting around where I’ve had to make repairs & has meant soldering in bridging wires to keep it going. Sounds lovely still but 25 years between amps isn’t bad going.

Main source is a Marantz CR603 which I render 16bit 44KHZ bit for bit copies of my CD’s as well as a growing 24bit 96Khz hi res file collection. Aux out from CR603 feeds 8000A biwired to & a pair of Mission 753 floorstanding speakers. I also have a Marantz CD94 with a Meridian 203 DAC but that pair is also great but doesn’t get much use now my whole cd collection is bit for bit digitised.

I’ve been eyeing the Marantz PM6004 for a while but my shortlist also includes the Rega Brio-R, Cyrus 6A & now the Rotel RA-10 (although not yet available here in Australia).

I like the Rega for it’s simplicity as I never utilised the tone circuit or headphone input on the 8000A so not having those on the Rega kind of seems right. I’m a big Marantz fan so negating what I’ve just said I do hanker towards the PM6004.

I just wondered what people thought of those amps mentioned, which would be best for my Mission 753’s & if there is any other more suitable amps that maybe I’ve neglected.

Someone mentioned a Denon PMA 1510 but I’ve not heard anything of this as such.

Hope there is plenty views – Thanks all

Have you tried the CR603 on its own merits? If so, how does it compare to the Audiolab?

Given your speakers (and budget allowing) the Rega springs out at me. I'd also consider Nad, Arcam and perhaps Creek Evo, depending on availability.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
replaced my 8000a + 8000px with a musical fidelity m6i and its the best upgrade going if its a bit exspensive you could try the m3i If you listen to one you will love it loads of power and control what sort of music do you listen to ?:) :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the input folks much appreciated, especially as I have no choice but to buy on spec. (Alears)

Nearest hi-fi shop is a 9hr return drive & they would have to order in the PM6004 with an expectation I would be buying it!

TBH that’s why I’ve shortlisted the highly regarded units by the hi-fi fraternity – it kind of lessens my risk of purchasing an unknown & regretting it! Even with my shortlist, like us all, I’d prefer to end up with the unit best for my system, albeit any of them are unlikely to be ‘bad’!

Pennypot – RA-12 I’m sure would be great but at this stage not really requiring an additional DAC so would prefer to put the money into the amp itself. Thanks for the i/p though.

Plastic Penguin – The CR603 has a fabulous amp for the money let alone what else the unit itself provides, it’s amazing value for money. It sounds great straight but even better set up Bi-Amped the downside to this is the drop to 25W RMS but in general that’s ample for majority of cases. The Audiolab deffo has the edge & effortlessly drives the M753’s whereas the 603 whilst ok just lacks something in comparison. To that end I did buy a set of MA BX2’s that I use connected to the 603 for general listening & making the TV sound pretty good! When I really want music, like I said I feed the Aux out to my 8000A & 753’s for a fuller deeper experience.

Toyota Man – M6i I bet is a bute but unfortunately well outside of my range it’s about $4300 out here (likely GBP much reduced) Hi Fi gear is heavily inflated out here as an example I was able to purchase the 603 when visiting my parents for GBP380 (no VAT) so about AUD600, at the time the best price here was $1495!! Yeah I got no guarantee but for that saving what else would u do!!! M3i likely at my top end here $1900 but still an unknown as such so a little worried about buying on spec a high outlay unit.

I have varied music taste but enjoy rock of many types as well as many alternative types & lots of female vocalists so the requirement would be a unit that is deadly across all genres rather than one that stands out in one particular area.

Keep up the advice though guys as it’s deffo appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts