Suggestions for a 2nd system CD player??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a budget 2nd system using the likes of ebay and the classifieds etc.I'm now looking at the CD player and have come across the Marantz CD5400 which can be got pretty cheaply these days.Does anyone have any views on this player and how it would compare with say the Cambridge 340C??

Thanks for any opinions and sorry if this has all been done before

machinehead:
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a budget 2nd system using the likes of ebay and the classifieds etc.I'm now looking at the CD player and have come across the Marantz CD5400 which can be got pretty cheaply these days.Does anyone have any views on this player and how it would compare with say the Cambridge 340C??

Thanks for any opinions and sorry if this has all been done before

I'm not a big fan of Cambridge Audio (just a personal preference) and although I haven't heard the recent marantz gear, I am a big fan of their older components.

What is your maximum budget? If you could stretch it a little more look at Arcam stuff which is going at bargain prices at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies - I'm in the early stages of looking right now so am open to suggestions for amps/speakers.What Arcam bits would you recommend?

Green Home Electronics has some Kef Cresta 3's at the moment but as this will go in a small room (3.5m x 3.5m) I think they are out of the question!

machinehead:
Thanks for the replies - I'm in the early stages of looking right now so am open to suggestions for amps/speakers.What Arcam bits would you recommend?

Green Home Electronics has some Kef Cresta 3's at the moment but as this will go in a small room (3.5m x 3.5m) I think they are out of the question!

I've just checked on ebay and there's Arcam A80 & CD73T. As far as speakers are concerned, I'd look for Mordaunt Short 902I or Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1. These are small bookshelf speakers & would work well with Arcam equipment.

John Duncan

If eBay specials are your thing, you can get Diamond 9.1s for 65 quid (very good call) and something like a matching PM4400 for sixty - are those the kinds of prices you were thinking of?

Alternatively, you may wish to consider something like Superfi's NAD deal - 315BEE, 515BEE and Tannoy Mercury F1s for £350 (or a Richer Sounds equivalent).

A

Anonymous

I had a 5400 for a while thinking that it might offer somthing over my old PD703, it was pretty woeful imo didnt come close to the old Pioneer so i got rid.

Unless you like really soft sounding decks I wouldn't recomend one personally.

A

Anonymous

I saw the Wharfedales on ebay.Thinking that might be the way to go for speakers.How do they match up against the Tannoy's?I must say,purely on looks I'd go for the Wharfedales.

Thanks again

John Duncan

machinehead:
I saw the Wharfedales on ebay.Thinking that might be the way to go for speakers.How do they match up against the Tannoy's?I must say,purely on looks I'd go for the Wharfedales.

Thanks again

Better without a doubt, and easier to find on eBay, probably.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't get either of those decks. Neither sound too good, the Marantz is mushy and the CA has all of CA's brightness without the detail. Try the 525bee. cd6002 or 640c. It's a rung up on the budget ladder but takes you out of the entry level junk field and into some more proper cd decks.

TRENDING THREADS