Suggested Hi-Fi system for a near-midlife crisis!

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys i believe the ART speakers are to retail at £6k which is over budget of £5k but the dealer may be prepared to do a deal. I will wait and see how they sound.

Re the Kefs i have read so much good about the R series (only heard the R100 which surprised me with how full they sound) that they do tempt me as i could use the remains of the budget towards essentials plus the signature sound of these R series sounds to my taste. However i fell i would want R700 as minimum or R900 for the bass :twisted:

The 205/2 reference are indeed well specced CNO but at £6k i cannot afford unless i find ex-demo/2nd hand.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Also considering Spendor A9 ex-demo at £3k with a decent 8inch sub with speaker level connections . Well regarded speakers it seems and work well with valve amps.

Still toying with the PB1i but worried the Icons wont drive them. Suppose i can try get a home demo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Hey guys i believe the ART speakers are to retail at £6k which is over budget of £5k but the dealer may be prepared to do a deal. I will wait and see how they sound.

Re the Kefs i have read so much good about the R series (only heard the R100 which surprised me with how full they sound) that they do tempt me as i could use the remains of the budget towards essentials plus the signature sound of these R series sounds to my taste. However i fell i would want R700 as minimum or R900 for the bass :twisted:

The 205/2 reference are indeed well specced CNO but at £6k i cannot afford unless i find ex-demo/2nd hand.

Kef may still be doing the trade in offer as listed here: http://www.lyrichifi.com/special-offers/special-offers.html

That would leave the 205/2s costing £4700 (and the 203/2s £3199)

FWIW. I think the R700s are the sweetspot of that range.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Also considering Spendor A9 ex-demo at £3k with a decent 8inch sub with speaker level connections . Well regarded speakers it seems and work well with valve amps.

Still toying with the PB1i but worried the Icons wont drive them. Suppose i can try get a home demo.

I think they will drive them fine, but always better to check.

The only criticism of the Icon, is a slightly looser bass than you would get from a SS amp, so bear this in mind when speaker matching.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Have to say that trade in looks mighty good value for a pair of 205's.

Need to move on my MA BX2's!

Will ring them tomorrow. Hope that i qualify.

It's a Kef offer, so your nearest Kef dealer should be able to do it (you really need to hear them with the Icon)............I used that link as an example (but Michael of Lyric is excellent).

Edit. Any luck?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. You've chosen some of the most musical amps and speakers out there, in their price range........so I think you will be delighted.

The Sugden will sound more powerful than it looks on paper.....I think it gives 45W into 4 Ohms.

I think the Kef R Series would certainly be good enough to go with these amps......all these speakers should work nicely.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
megatombomb said:
Have to say that trade in looks mighty good value for a pair of 205's.

Need to move on my MA BX2's!

Will ring them tomorrow. Hope that i qualify.

It's a Kef offer, so your nearest Kef dealer should be able to do it (you really need to hear them with the Icon)............I used that link as an example (but Michael of Lyric is excellent).

Edit. Any luck?

Hey CNO it is about 2 weeks until i will have the amps and CDP. I will first hear the ART speakers that the dealer will let me try at home, then i will look into the Kef 205, Tannoy Kens SE and Spendor A9.

Looking forward to the outcome!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Hey CNO it is about 2 weeks until i will have the amps and CDP. I will first hear the ART speakers that the dealer will let me try at home, then i will look into the Kef 205, Tannoy Kens SE and Spendor A9.

I look forward to how you get on.

It is vital that you hear them all on the end of your new amp.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
megatombomb said:

I look forward to how you get on.

It is vital that you hear them all on the end of your new amp.

Still waiting megatombomb!

Any news?

Mac

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey hey!

Just to let you know guys all i now have all the goodies.

Just got to find a place to put them all. The power amps are 33kg each, the speakers 30kg each, even the battleship build CDP feels like about 15kg - i am knackered. It may be not until the weekend until i get to hear them due to work etc but i am damned excited. Having fun placing the valves in the amps at the mo.

I really need to find a proper support rack for the amps/CDp now.

Just a reminder the system consists of Marantz SA15S2le CDP into Icon Audio LA4 mk3 pre into 2 x Icon Audio MB845mk2 power amps. The speakers i have on home demo are a brand new model (not even on the company website yet!) by ART called the 'prestige 8'.

I am drooling at the prospect of hearing it all!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Hey hey!

Just to let you know guys all i now have all the goodies.

Just got to find a place to put them all. The power amps are 33kg each, the speakers 30kg each, even the battleship build CDP feels like about 15kg - i am knackered. It may be not until the weekend until i get to hear them due to work etc but i am damned excited. Having fun placing the valves in the amps at the mo.

I really need to find a proper support rack for the amps/CDp now.

Just a reminder the system consists of Marantz SA15S2le CDP into Icon Audio LA4 mk3 pre into 2 x Icon Audio MB845mk2 power amps. The speakers i have on home demo are a brand new model (not even on the company website yet!) by ART called the 'prestige 8'.

I am drooling at the prospect of hearing it all!

I bet!

Look forward to your thoughts once set up.

Mac

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello all.

Its been awhile since i posted here as i have been quite busy and not been able to let you know about the speaker hunt. Sadly i have ran into a bit of a financial dead end with regards the system due to investments in the home cinema system comprising a Sony W905 55'' tv and a lovely handbuilt real oak wood rack to place everything upon. I have also made purchases of half decent cables and mains supplies for all my toys. Lastly i have also purchased two plinths to place the Icon power amps onto. I still cant get over how insanely heavy they are.

It has sadly meant i havent had the chance to listen to speakers on the end of the system yet as i am waiting on creating a dedicated hifi/home cinema room which i intend to start on at the end of july, mainly as space is getting to be a premium in the current room.

All this has forced me as mentioned to reduce my budget for speakers. I spent 20mins listening (Rush - Hemispheres) to a pair of Kef R700's on the end of a top of the range 2013 Yamaha AV amp and even though this isnt technically ideal they did sound very good. I certainly thought the bass power and depth was excellent and it reminded me exactly why no reasonably sized standmounters can deliver scale in music. The speakers were literally flat in the corners of the demo room but i was surpised the bass wasnt overly boomy or out of control in stark contrast to what ive read. I have no hi-fi phrases to descibe the speakers performance lets just say that they did make me grin and laugh inside abit! They are indeed musical.

However i have decided on two things. I am still desperate to hear a pair of Tannoy Kens SE's as these would be a perfect match for my system in terms of synergy and i am determined to get a pair of these speakers to complete the hifi system side as i have convinced myself they would be musically awesome. This has led to do something i didnt think i would do. I found a pair of MA GX300 brand new for £1485 and have bought them. They will serve two purposes. I will use them on my hi-fi setup and if i like them then i have sorted myself out for what i consider to be good value for money but if they dont thrill me they will be used as an upgrade to replace the MA RX6's in the hometheatre setup.

So thats it for now my next posts will hopefully be to give an assessment of a complete and finished dream hifi system. At least until the Tannoy's get to me!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's great to hear how you are getting on.....and keep us in the loop on further developments. Make sure you listen to all the speakers on your list before fully making up your mind.

How do the RX6s compare to the R700s, as you could have had the R500s for the same money?

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The Kef R700 is a superior speaker but its near three times the RX6 RRP. Honestly i think the RX6's are pretty decent but they are tonally quite lean and lack some warmth, they seem to have a fast roll off. But theyre main use is as FRL channels in the home theatre setup. Blu rays and games sound plenty good enough and the leaness doesnt matter when theres a sub taking care of the LF. Its music where they do come abit undone. I have added some warmth through positioning and tweaking the Amps EQ but i rarely enjoy it for music except punk rock which seems more visceral through a forward and attacking setup albeit not harsh. The thinking behind the GX300 was a better treble and extra low end oomph and driven by the Icon/marantz i hope i can get a good mix of musicality and something that works for all genres. If i dont i will put them in place of the RX6 in the HT setup, sell the RX6 and save up asap for Kef R700 or better. The R700/R500 wouldnt fit in the HT setup due to all other speakers being MA hence again the GX300 gamble. I have a dealer happy to lend me a pair of R700 to try at home when im ready which i fully intend to try.

The heart still says Tannoy Kens though :roll:

In demoing speakers for the little Marantz MCR603 i own, i came across a stunning little speaker for the money in the shape of a Wharfdale Diamond 121. It matched the kef R300, MA RX2 and Q Acoustics concept 20, giving up only a little bass to the first two, though i guess the Marantz cant make them sing properly with its small power supply. Still there was little audible benefit to the spending £1000 on the kef instead of £220 on these Wharfedales imho. Even the dealer confessed it saying he'd buy the cheaper speakers which is most unorthodox for a salesman.

Speaking of which richer sounds in stockport are run by total amateurs who havent a clue.... when i asked about the input lag on a TV i was told to sit closer to the TV to reduce it :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
The Kef R700 is a superior speaker but its near three times the RX6 RRP. Honestly i think the RX6's are pretty decent but they are tonally quite lean and lack some warmth, they seem to have a fast roll off.

Sorry, I meant to say GX300s, not RX6s.

69biscuit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Mr Megabomb, would be interested in your rx6's if you decide upgrade? Currently have Castle Chester's with Arcam 10's and definitely do not have enough mid or bass, from what I've read the Monitor's are quite bassy?!

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
For music I'd seriously suggest listening to a pair of the new Wharfedale Diamond 157's before you buy MA RX6. The RX6 are lean and forward sounding the Wharfedale are still very clear but have more warmth and bass depth. I think the MA is better in terms of build and style.

Dont get me wrong the RX6 is a decent speaker and exciting to listen too but it suits a certain taste and styles in music imo.

I am not selling my RX6 at the moment as they make fine HT speakers, unless the new GX300 end up replacing them in the HT setup.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Early impressions of the new GX300 speakers...

First of all as mentioned i am yet unable to hook them upto the Icon audio amps and Marantz cdp (until late July) and i have for 24hrs had them running off a Pioneer SCLX85 av amp and Marantz UD7007 BDP. The speakers are renowned to take well over 100hrs to loosen up and sound their best and i am told these ex demos have only about 15 hrs on them so i will see if they improve some. If i'm honest having run MA Rx6's upto now and having read some suggestions about the GX300 being too forward, bright, analytical and clinical sounding i wasnt expecting much from them when hooked upto lean sounding electronics esp in the case of the Pioneer amp. These are all traits i dont look for in pure 2 channel music but value more highly in movies where dialogue and clarity in general really bring a movie to life. My listening has so far been limited to two CDs.... 'The Tall Ships' by It Bites and 'The Whirlwind' by Transatlantic.

Without getting carried away i have so far been very pleasantly surpised but it has helped to have middling expectations i guess. First off these speakers are clearly Monitor Audios - tonally lean and forward and bright sounding in nature. With many speakers this could be considered hugely negative but what strikes me is that although the speakers are quite bright they are inherently very, very clean sounding! It is actually really nice to be able to hear everything going on but not suffer from any noticable fatigue. The benefits of this kind of speaker makes the opening track of the Whirwind album ridiculously entertaining and impossible not to go crazy on the air drums too i have never felt so part of a band in my own living room and the RX6's just couldnt bring the scale which these speakers can :rockout: ! They are clearly very exciting to listen too but i havent yet found them to be fatiguing. When listening to the It bites CD album on the RX6 i was always aware that even for a modern production the sound in the treble seemed somewhat unclean, unnatural and compressed abit like a slightly sibilant MP3 file. The GX300 make the album much more organic and real sounding and even though they are even brighter sounding it is still cleaner sounding and i feel the cleanliness far outweights the brightness which i typically dont go for.

As for the Bass side of things. Well again it clearly has much better extension than the RX6 as one would expect and it has a real speed and tightness especially notable on the more energetic tracks on the Whirlwind album. The speed does appear to come at the cost of ultimate extension.... theres no 25hz to be found here but enough depth to manage without a subwoofer. I havent found the need to turn the sub on yet which i find almost essentailly with the RX6.

So far so good then i am going to do alot more listening and run them in some more but as you can tell i have actually really enjoyed listening to the new found clarity and cleanliness in the CD's ive played so far. From what little ive heard so far i would actually be quite happy to run this setup permanently so it fills me with huge excitement to get these beauties on the end of the Icon audio amps. In my head i cant help but think they will give me an excellent balance to the sound and i might not be surprised if these MA's end up permanently on the dedicated 2 channel music system. I certainly will have saved myself a packet.

The true test is to come then and i will be playing some of my not soo great recordings to really see if i can find anything to truly bother me about them!

I will understand if people label me a pessimist after this post but i'm not expecting many to actually read it all......... oh i'm at it again lol!:wall:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All sounding promising then! and can only get better when paired up with the ICons.

smiley-cool.gif

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
megatombomb said:
From what little ive heard so far i would actually be quite happy to run this setup permanently so it fills me with huge excitement to get these beauties on the end of the Icon audio amps. In my head i cant help but think they will give me an excellent balance to the sound and i might not be surprised if these MA's end up permanently on the dedicated 2 channel music system. I certainly will have saved myself a packet.

Clean sounding speakers often sound great on the end of Valve amps.

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Mac... especially for putting up with my poorly written and grammatically useless posts like the last one!

If the Icons/Marantz combo tames some of the brightness while maintaining the detail and clarity i think i will have unexpectedly found what i was looking for!

Will still save up regardless as i will always be thinking what the Tannoy Kens could be like... in my head they must sound divine! Only the deepest bass notes are missing on the GX but i have had good results in the past with small 8in 'subwoofers' with the pace to keep up. I certainly dont think i could listen to small standmount speakers without one now and perhaps i will try my little AE sub to see if if adds or subtracts anything to the overall sound of the GX300's. I am sure the Pioneer isnt helping with the low bass and even though i have played around with its EQ to boost the 60hz it cannot surely match the ability of the Icons.

Did i ever say how monstrously big and heavy the icon power amps are... i can barely understand how they are 33kg each!? To look at them it doesnt seem possible, but with the sheer size and weight comes a certain reassurance that despite the not exactly massive spec of 100watts RMS at 8ohms, they are going to bring the noise :twisted:

Roll on august 8)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
megatombomb said:
Thanks Mac... especially for putting up with my poorly written and grammatically useless posts like the last one!

If the Icons/Marantz combo tames some of the brightness while maintaining the detail and clarity i think i will have unexpectedly found what i was looking for!

Will still save up regardless as i will always be thinking what the Tannoy Kens could be like... in my head they must sound divine! Only the deepest bass notes are missing on the GX but i have had good results in the past with small 8in 'subwoofers' with the pace to keep up. I certainly dont think i could listen to small standmount speakers without one now and perhaps i will try my little AE sub to see if if adds or subtracts anything to the overall sound of the GX300's. I am sure the Pioneer isnt helping with the low bass and even though i have played around with its EQ to boost the 60hz it cannot surely match the ability of the Icons.

Did i ever say how monstrously big and heavy the icon power amps are... i can barely understand how they are 33kg each!? To look at them it doesnt seem possible, but with the sheer size and weight comes a certain reassurance that despite the not exactly massive spec of 100watts RMS at 8ohms, they are going to bring the noise :twisted:

Roll on august 8)

No need for apologies, your posts are pretty articulate and erudite to me.

33KG each! my word hope you've got a strong enough stand to put them on!

As for the Kensingtons, I've never heard them myself, but it's always nice to have a dream piece of kit to aim for.

I look forward to further reports once everything is in place.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts