Sugden A21a series 2 OR Roksan K3?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Alright, I have narrowed down my search to these two amps. They are very different from each other, both are good amps, but I assime they excel in different areas. I am using Proac Signature 2000's. Which amp do you think will give me better sound quality? Which one will I enjoy more? I listen to all types of music except metal. I mainly listen to a turntable, RP40. I don't have the chance to demo either one so I'll be buying one and taking a chance. So your input is valuable. Thanks.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I want that Sugden without thinking one second further. Gorgeous, with pedigree and Class A. All audiofoo bells ring happily, singing the Sugden name.

However, the dreaded left hemisphere turns on and I look at the 'specs.'

1) The benefits of Class A are lower crossover distortion. But you have to live with the heat and electric bill. You will have to place the amp on a high shelf to make it child proof. The heatsinks are an injury and fire hazard when they heat up.

2) Its maximum power is 24W at 1% THD. Any milliwatt beyond that is considered clipping, regardless what class the amplifier topology is. 24W is plenty with easy to drive speakers (95dB+ and minimum impedance drop of 6 ohms in lower frequencies).

So, if you can live with the heat, the electric bill and not play your 84dB efficient ProAcs too loud, the Sugden will be the more pleasing choice IMO. If you like to have effortless undistorted volume and performance, then the Roksan.

rainsoothe

Vladimir said:
So, if you can live with the heat, the electric bill and not play your 84dB efficient ProAcs too loud, the Sugden will be the more pleasing choice IMO. If you like to have effortless undistorted volume and performance, then the Roksan.

I haven't heard the K3, but I auditioned Sugden Masterclass IA-4 with Proac Response D18 and they sounded stunning. Yes, the Masterclass is in a different... class, and more powerful then the A21SE, and the Response D18 are more sensitive, but the sound they produced was awesome - especially for classical/jazz stuff. No muscles though, if you're looking for that sort of thing (that's why I ended up leaving with a Naim when I was set on buying Sugden).

If you don't mind second hand, there might be better value in geting a used Accuphase or even Sugden, but with more power. Class A does sound magical. The other day, someone linked a really tasty looking Accuphase 303 on the bay, and the listing had a link to a german 2nd hand shop that had some good looking stuff there. With warranty! And even money back guarantee if you don't like it, if i remember correctly. Might be worth serious consideration.

SteveR750

Vladimir said:
I want that Sugden without thinking one second further. Gorgeous, with pedigree and Class A. All audiofoo bells ring happily, singing the Sugden name.

However, the dreaded left hemisphere turns on and I look at the 'specs.'

1) The benefits of Class A are lower crossover distortion. But you have to live with the heat and electric bill. You will have to place the amp on a high shelf to make it child proof. The heatsinks are an injury and fire hazard when they heat up.

2) Its maximum power is 24W at 1% THD. Any milliwatt beyond that is considered clipping, regardless what class the amplifier topology is. 24W is plenty with easy to drive speakers (95dB+ and minimum impedance drop of 6 ohms in lower frequencies).

Pretty much this ^^ when I was looking for an amp upgrade, I considered the Sugdens and the AMS35i, but my heart kep saying no it won't work (for me). It wouldn't have been a ££ disaster, as it was alll used and therefore low/no loss to sell on, but the hassle....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I think all the comments above are fair. It's real heart vs head stuff here....but for me, music is always about the heart.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:

I haven't heard the K3, but I auditioned Sugden Masterclass IA-4 with Proac Response D18 and they sounded stunning. Yes, the Masterclass is in a different... class, and more powerful then the A21SE, and the Response D18 are more sensitive, but the sound they produced was awesome - especially for classical/jazz stuff. No muscles though, if you're looking for that sort of thing (that's why I ended up leaving with a Naim when I was set on buying Sugden).

If you don't mind second hand, there might be better value in geting a used Accuphase or even Sugden, but with more power. Class A does sound magical. The other day, someone linked a really tasty looking Accuphase 303 on the bay, and the listing had a link to a german 2nd hand shop that had some good looking stuff there. With warranty! And even money back guarantee if you don't like it, if i remember correctly. Might be worth serious consideration.

From one who used to own a Sugden Masterclass, I think this is good advice., never looked after changing to Accuphase.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts