admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
is there any chance of a subwoofer supertest? would need to include real sub brands like Rel, Sunfire, SVS, BK etc. might even show the PV1 to be the faker it really is. why are some of these products never mentioned in the mag? they are true sub bass components

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah yes, we never mention Sunfire, Velodyne, Martin Logan or other subwoofer brands....

Sure we'll be doing a subwoofer test shortly, with so many new models out - including the new RELs previewed at the Bristol Show.

And if they're better than the fast, agile, and immensely accurate bass of the PV1 - as opposed to merely louder and over-obvious like a boy racer's bootful of bass - then of course they'll be the new champions.

A

Anonymous

thanks for that. will look forward to that dropping through the letter box!! i owned a pv1 until last week as it was great for music but lacking impact for movies. my friends bk at 300 quid sounds better ut looks rubbish! pays your money, takes your choice. also, did you ever review my XT4's and XTC? would order a back issue if you did. lastly any advice on the M&K's? tell mr Everard, no offence intended

A

Anonymous

take it you are not a XT fan then Andrew. i must admit that i wanted 805's standmounts but my partner would not have them in the house. i though they were great looking speakers, but she refused to have them in the house!! any advice re the M&K's? plan on making a purchase tomorrow. have thought about MA dipoles are well.
thanks in advance, robert

A

Anonymous

[quote user="quasibongo"]is there any chance of a subwoofer supertest? would need to include real sub brands like Rel, Sunfire, SVS, BK etc. might even show the PV1 to be the faker it really is. why are some of these products never mentioned in the mag? they are true sub bass components[/quote]

I think that is a really good point Robert. Subs like SVS, BK and Sunfire are not readily available in your local hifi shop, yet are available online and have their own community of supporters who rave about them over the likes of B&W. I am also a subscriber to What Hi-fi, and the nearest I have ever seen is a review for a REL quite someime ago! - Lets have a proper spectrum of a sub review please What Hi-fi and sooner rather than later as I am about to buy one! :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Ah yes, we never mention Sunfire, Velodyne, Martin Logan or other subwoofer brands....

Sure we'll be doing a subwoofer test shortly, with so many new models out - including the new RELs previewed at the Bristol Show.

And if they're better than the fast, agile, and immensely accurate bass of the PV1 - as opposed to merely louder and over-obvious like a boy racer's bootful of bass - then of course they'll be the new champions.
[/quote]

I think the time has come for me to end my subscription to 'What Hi-fi'

Two magazines later from this quote still no differentiation in the type of reviews. The promise of a style speaker review is in the June 2008 issue but no inclusion of the B&W style speakers and specifically no mention at all about alternative subs.

To top it all the issues seem to be getting thinner and thinner every month............?

Think I will go back to buying on a adhoc basis.

Wake up 'What Hi-fi'!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts