Subwoofer woes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I recently splashed out on a Rotel RA05 and Quad 11L speakers. The system is good but lacked bass so I went back to the shop and bought a KEF HTB2 sub woofer. I did test it out in the shop and was convinced at the time. But now, after several weeks' listening I realise the sub is almost inaudiable on my system. Turning the speakers off I can hear a dull, distant rumble, but nothing approaching the sub 'roar' that I would have expected.

Being a mono, it's connected via one lead out. Am I missing something totally subtle here? Is the sub faulty, or is it unsuited to this setup? What have I done wrong?

Any views appreciated

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, if it's set up properly you won't hear a roar, just the very lowest frequencies - that rumble you mention. If the sub was clearly audible you'd have it set too loud and the crossover too high. But a bit concerned that you are only taking bass from one channel - are you using a Y-connector at the amp end? If not, you need one of these to combine the two channels into one output for the sub.

A

Anonymous

before using a Y cable I would check with your Amp manufacturer that this is compatible - I use such a cable , but one of the tech guys at arcam was a bit concerned on another forum that connecting both of the pre-outs together (effectively what this cable does) could cause some narrowing of the stereo image.

In my case it didnt, but I would check it out before using it. Alternatively I am curious as to why you would have gone for a subwoofer which is mainly used in a home theatre setup. My advice would be to buy a more "musical" sub with stereo inputs.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both. I have considered whether the single input was an issue. My simplistic reasoning is a second input will double the signal. If so, this may be just the ticket. I shall visit the shop once more...

Good observation Lazaroonie. The decision to go with the Kef was down to opportunity and quality. I really was only in the market for a £150 sub and tested a couple out. Even with my limited experience, the subs I tried at that price point seemed poorly matched to the Rotel/Quad. They were noticeably boomy and harsh seeming (albeit, with some capacity to modify frequency and volume settings). The Kef was on a dealer special an making it very affordable.

A

Anonymous

I have a REL Quake connected to my RA-05/MA RS1 system. When I was buying I wanted the RS6s but felt that there was no way for me to tune them to the room. Thus, with my room limitations I bought this sub.

I use a Speakon Neutrik connector that connects from the sub to the amp speaker-out terminals using two small wires. The idea is that the sub takes a slave feed from the speaker signal to determine the level of bass to supply. With a bit of careful tuning and placement I have come to really enjoy the sound I get. When my sub power supply broke some months ago and I found it hard to live without the rich bass!!

Maybe it would be worth holding out for a REL Quake at around £300!

TRENDING THREADS