Subwoofer upgrade question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to the forum but have been reading Whathifi reviews and forums for a long time. Only now do I need advice on the best option to take for an upgrade to my system.

Currently I own a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A and a pair of Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers. I am currently playing my music through my laptop into an external DAC. My stereo is in my bedroom, which is a big room with good acoustics. I feel I can get more out of my set up with a subwoofer. I like bass heavy music such as dance music, but punchy bass. The speakers I have just don't produce the bass that I like. Listening to music with more treble and mid I can't fault them. Also, I am a student so budget is a limiting factor. I would love to spend £5000 on a new system!!

So this is my dilema: My amp doesn't have the pre out for a sub, but it has aditional speaker terminals which I was considering attaching a sub to. Ideally I would like to use a pre out but I can not afford an amp upgrade. If I use the high level inputs will it effect the overall sound produced? Also, I couldn't find a detailed explaination on wiring and setting up the sub. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I know I could get better speakers and I do plan on getting a new set once I have saved up for some. Either way once I upgrade I will still look to attach a sub to the system. So second question is: Which sub would suit me? I would like a decent one that I can use with any future upgrade that won't break the bank. I will also be looking on ebay for some bargains.

Any help / advice will be greatly appreciated

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at the BK electrics range http://www.bkelec.com/index.htm You get a lot of sub for your money. With these subs (and others) the high level input is connected to the amps binding posts with the supplied cable and directions are included as well. As for setting up it needs a bit of trial and error regards best placement and settings etc. as a lot depends on your room,furnishings etc.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubt that adding a subwoofer will certainly extend the bass down to very low freq. but you need to adjust by trial and error unless you make a measurement by means of some software (which is more accurate). You may see the effect to the combined freq. response of my system in the link of my signature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts