Subwoofer purchase query

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Having been an avid reader of What Hifi, I've wondered why they've infrequently reviewed subwoofers as I imagine many would be interested in adopting one into their set-up, as I am now.

Recently they've reviewed the new Q acoustics QB12 subwoofer - wanted some thoughts & opinions on integration into my current set-up consisting of Kef Q350 fronts with Kef R50 atmos speakers on top. Rear's are Bose 791 in-ceiling speakers with (oddly), an AE307 centre.

So it's a mixed bag - With a Denon X3500h powering the set-up, would a supplemental 2 Q acoustic QB12's be a good shout worth implementing or would I be better off investing else where.

Any advice/ info would be great as there isn't much to go off on subwoofer wise from this site - it's slim pickings. Budget sits approx £1k.

Under the thousand pound mark really belongs to SVS at the moment. The new SB2000 Pro is about as good as you’ll get. If you’re happy to sacrifice a little depth for a little more detail/upper bass performance, have a look at REL.

These are subwoofer manufacturers first and foremost, not a speaker manufacturer making subs to complete a range.

Generally, two subs are better than one, but when you’re comparing one from a manufacturer that made its name producing high quality, high value subwoofers against two subs from a speaker manufacturer who has made its name from producing budget loudspeakers, well, I think you get the picture. There is no substitute for outright quality - sacrificing quality for more of anything isn’t the way forward in any type of system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts