Subwoofer or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Atoll IN30 amp, a Vincent CD-S3 cd-player, B&W 601s3 speakers and Supra Rondo (bi-wire) speaker cables and a simple Qed Qunex interlink.

Just a quite simple HIFI-system, but for me it's enough. [:)]

The only thing I'm struggling with is the lack of a deep bass. There's just not enough body and sense of acoustic. Replacing my speakers by other and better mini-monitors (I don't have the space for bigger speakers) would cost me a lot and I don't think it would solve the bass-problem... So I thought, maybe I just have to invest in a small subwoofer (between 200 and 300£), what do you people think?

I was thinking of buying the B&W ASW610, to stay with the same brand as my speakers. And oh yes, I don't have the best acoustic in my small room...

(My Atoll amp has only two positive and negative poles for the two speakers, that's it...)

Others ideas to deal with the bass-problem???

P.S.: Sorry if I make a lot of spelling-mistakes, I'm from Belgium [;)]

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot you all. :)

Any idea wich sub would be satisfying with my B&W 601s3? Tannoy T10 is not that expencive...

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I posted recently on this subject and received some helpful advice. My project is in the air at the moment because of possible house move but i would warn you most subs are not musical and could really spoil your sound.

When and if i proceed , im going for a Bk xls200 after reading so many positive reviews for stereo sound. Good luck.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I echo the other view points here. Definitely get a sub. The key thing to remember is that using a sub for stereo is very different to using one for home cinema. With hi-fi, it's about speed, texture and subtley underpinning the sound, not rumbling the sofa. If you set the gain too high and/or the crossover too high, it will sound terrible. It will take a little bit of work to get the sub settings right, but, once you have, you'll never want to listen to music without a sub again.

If you want new, The BK's are great value. If you want to go second hand, to get more bang for your buck, I would recommend any of the REL STRATA series. I have a STRATA II, which I got second hand for £160 from e-bay, and is really superb for music, but may be too big for some peoples tastes. The newer STRATAs got progessively smaller. The last one I saw was the STRATA V, which is a beautiful little box, with a remote, which is useful, and it got really deep for a small box. Steve's Hi Fi are selling it for £395. E-bay usually has a fair selection of RELs.

A

Anonymous

i had a similar predicament in the bass deparment, and finally resorted to buying a sub. I decided on the MJ Acoustics Pro-50 Mk II and have been really happy with them. They took a few days to set right, especially for music and my room has minimum acoustic treatment - but once done, it was quite a treat. The good thing about the sub application is that you can always alter the gain to suit your music, or turn it off when it is not needed.

A

Anonymous

Again, thanks a lot. I will look out for all your tips. The problem with hifi is that Belgium is not as developted England. Most shops don't have much choise in brands and a lot of brands that you can find in England you just can't find over here.

So I'll keep all your advise in minds and begin my search. :)

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
J.G.:I made my decision, today I will order my Bk xls200 DF!

Excellent choice
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS