Subwoofer dilemma

Newbie50

Nov 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys (and girls, who knows),

I'm currently running my HT/Hifi equipment with dual Paradigm Defiance X10 and find that bass is not as full as I'd like. My room is about 13 X 18. Wondering if I should trade my two X10s against one SVS SB4000 or SB16 Ultra. Am I harming myself by going single from dual? Are the SVSs overkill for my room? Are SVSs tight enough for hifi ? My system is currently 7.2.4, all Paradigm. Towers are Premier 700F but currently awaiting a pair of Founder 100F. All is diven by Yamaha RX-A3080 with external Anthem MCA225 taking care of the 2 towers. Thanks in advance for your good advices.

abacus

Try moving the subs around to see if you get a fuller sound. (2 subs incorrectly placed can cancel each other out)
You can also use the facilities on the Yamaha room correction software to get the subs to your personal liking.
SVS subs are great for music providing you go for the NONE ported versions and place them optimally in the room. (2 can be better but sometimes it can make things worse depending on the room, so if you do change try 1 first and add a 2nd if needed)

Bill

Newbie50

Nov 4, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Bill. I'll try to fiddle with the room correction software. Not much choice on the placement of the subs though as the room is already wired. Only option would be to place one in the back of the room -- they are now below the screen between the 2 towers -- as I should be able to bring a wire there. The two SVS I'm considering are bot non-ported. Good idea to start with one and see. Might do just that.

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
I had a Polk12” Sub that I thought was pretty great. It developed the heart beat issue and needed replacement. I have a similar sized room and went with the SVS PB1000. What a difference!! I honestly couldn’t believe how much more range the bass achieved and how much it punched. I can’t even imagine what the 4000 or 16ultra would sound like! From all my research SVS is a solid choice. An enclosed unit has punchier response for music, BUT you can also get free port plugs from SVS if you choose the ported model - which gives you the best of both worlds imo. I am extremely happy with my SVS PB1000 and anything I put through it sounds great! The goal is to add a second one now as my Denon supports dual sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts