Subjective/objective testing /AB / AB/X, thoughts.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

MakkaPakka said:
I don't consider myself in a particular camp but I question everything where someone is trying to make me part with my hard earned money.

At the very least I want some sort of logical explanation of how and why something will work so that I can make an informed choice. Such explanations usually seem to be lacking when it comes to hi-fi.

Well, that's not the problem though is it? It's being told one thing, by "experts" who've been adept with Google. Sorry, typed stuff in to a search engine, who then quote it, or spout it as if they're the expert. Oh and then they lambast anyone who holds a different view. It's like being preached at by a reformed smoker about the evils of tobacco. Please. I'm a grown-up, I can work stuff out for myself thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
My nemesis over on the Darkside

Does this mean me?

No, definitely not.

I can easily speak to you, and you don't generally take my name in vain on other sites.

It's not hard to figure out, as a statement of mine has been used to start a thread elsewhere, with the sole purpose of causing mischief and stirring. But to be fair, it was my opinions that were ridiculed, rather than me...and this was made quite clear.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
My nemesis over on the Darkside

Does this mean me?

No, definitely not.

Shame.

I always thought it would be cool to have an arch nemesis. :twisted: ;)

dr-evil_zpsa73c22d0.jpg

T

the record spot

CnoEvil said:
Cheers RS, but I suspect others won't think so......putting the kevlar vest on as we speak and running to the airport.

Rather naffed off with pseudo-experts barking away at others or ridiculing them, or just all the snidey, arrogant, self-congratulatory stuff that's out there. We know where it resides and we can avoid it. Folk can work stuff out for themselves without being "told" what's what.

EDIT: I just referred to the thread in question. Sole purpose to wind you up mate. It could've gone in their broom cupboard where they can really go to rip, but no, it goes on the public bit of the forum. Oh what a surprise.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Die? Oh no. I have far more evil plans for you than that.

I'll force you at laser point to take part in ABX speaker cable tests (which you'd fail to pass obviously).

MWAHAHAHAHA :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Die? Oh no. I have far more evil plans for you than that. :twisted:

I'd force you at laser point to take part in ABX speaker cable tests (which you'd fail to pass obviously).

Obviously! :twisted:

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
A right of reply.

My nemesis over on the Darkside has made some big assumptions about what, and how I think, and has somehow made "Listening, and making up one's own mind" sound like a ludicrous thing to do.....though I can see how encouraging this in certain circumstances, can have its advantages.

I'm intrigued that I'm seen as the one with the entrenched opinion, when it is others who lay down the law as to what is science, what is Foo and won't try for themselves, all while dogmatically telling others that disagree with them, that they are foolish and gullible......now I wonder where that approach comes from.

My history that lead to my position is as follows: I had read the arguments on both sides, and was in fact very sceptical. I decided to take a measured approach, and actually went about it in a fashion that was quite close to the method mentioned (despite the implication that I wouldn't). I took a bunch of cables at a variety of prices, waited till everyone was out and started messing about.

I had mains cables from Cardas, Audioquest, TCI, Clearer Audio and Atlas. I did a lot of swapping about, and what I found was that it made a worthwhile difference to my amps, and no difference to the Linn DS (some made it worse). I found this strange because I had always been told that it would have the biggest effect on the Source. I suspect that it was something to do with the fact that the Linn Dynamik power supply is doing a great job.

To confirm my findings, I went to my most sceptical friend, who was one of the few people I knew that was into hifi. He made all the same arguments that are played out ad infinitum, on most cable threads.

We played some music on the AVR600 with the standard lead, then changed to the Cardas one. The difference was so apparent, that he looked at me and accused me of making some underhand tweak. He wouldn't believe me until he personally changed the leads back and forth himself. He went away scratching his head as it flew in the face of everything he believed in (due to a science background). He now has made up his own cables, and can hear the benefit.

I know it's a cliché, but I also brought my daughter and Mrs. Cno into the fray, and they could tell when an after-market cable was put into the amp (without knowing), provided I didn't take too long to change it over.

I have also been to cable demos by TCI, Atlas, Vertere and TQ...and the result was the same.

I have never taken anybody's word for anything and always experiment. I have heard cables make no difference, and in some cases make things worse.....so this doesn't equate with the accusation that I'm simply hearing an improvement due to expectation bias.

Am I entrenched....possibly; though it's based on doing a lot of practical research...the results of which have been far from predictable. I feel it at least gives me the right to put my view across.

My position is this; imagine you are standing looking at an Aardvark, while typing so on a forum. Then people on the forum queue up to tell you that it's not possible, as they don't exist in your country. You reply that it is, as you are looking directly at it.

You ask if they have ever either been to your country, or even seen an Aardvark. To which they reply that they haven't (on both counts), but they don't need to, as they know it's not possible. The suggestion is that you need to get your eyes checked, and not to post any further comments, as it will mislead anyone who reads it (into believing such nonsense).

Now you don't need to tell me that the above example is a little OTT, but it makes the point from my perspective.

I know none of this amounts to proof, which is why I always state it as my opinion......and tell people to try for themselves.

The "Foo Fighters" make sure that they argue in such a dogmatic way, that they have an answer for every eventuality

- We are right, because Science says so

- We don't need to listen because there is no need, as science says it's impossible

- If you hear a difference, it is imaginary due to "expectation bias."

- Anyone recommending that you even try a cable is being irresponsible.

- Any proof you think you have isn't reliable

- Everything that a cable manufacturer is nonsense

- The people who say there is a benefit are brainwashing the reader, so anything they hear is unreliable.

Cno (absolute bastard) - over and out.

Oops, didn't mean to talk about cables again. :oops:

Is Hifi a religion? Is there any way a mains cable can find a magical or supernatural way of affecting sound quality? I'll accept the possibility of interconnects and speaker cables affecting performance, allbeit slightly, because at least they do carry the audio signal.

Unquestioning subjectivism gave us Zeus, Allah, ghosts and leprechauns, so i'll settle for a certan amount of scepticism and objectivity in the science of hifi reproduction, thanks.

That doesn't preclude my determining whether I like the sound of a pair of speakers in a system by listening to them, but it stops me wasting my time listening for differences where none can possibly exist. I like to be open minded, but I won't let my brain fall out.

It's served me well so far..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Is Hifi a religion? Is there any way a mains cable can find a magical or supernatural way of affecting sound quality? I'll accept the possibility of interconnects and speaker cables affecting performance, allbeit slightly, because at least they do carry the audio signal.

Unquestioning subjectivism gave us Zeus, Allah, ghosts and leprechauns, so i'll settle for a certan amount of objectivity in the science of hifi reproduction, thanks.

That doesn't preclude my determining whether I like the sound of a pair of speakers in a system by listening to them, but it stops me wasting my time listening for differences where none can possibly exist. I like to be open minded, but I won't let my brain fall out.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amoungst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms....."

manicm

TrevC said:
but it stops me wasting my time listening for differences where none can possibly exist. I like to be open minded, but I won't let my brain fall out.

And the corollary also holds true for me where I'd like to stop wasting time wishing there were no differences when I can find some, even if some may claim my ears are wrong.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

Unquestioning subjectivism gave us Zeus, Allah, ghosts and leprechauns, so i'll settle for a certan amount of objectivity in the science of hifi reproduction, thanks.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amoungst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms....."

The comfy chair works for me!

TrevC

manicm said:
TrevC said:
but it stops me wasting my time listening for differences where none can possibly exist. I like to be open minded, but I won't let my brain fall out.

And the corollary also holds true for me where I'd like to stop wasting time wishing there were no differences when I can find some, even if some may claim my ears are wrong.

My ears are often wrong. Do you have tone controls on your amp? Put the treble and bass to max and listen to a CD all the way through.. This may be torture at first. Then return them to the flat setting and listen to the CD again. Report your findings.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
I'm sorry to hear that, back pain can be extremely debilitating.

You don't know the half of it. (Only read if you have a hardy constitution [from post 13] )......I had a fusion of L3/L4: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/off-topic-and-miscellaneous/im-back-and-alivebut-only-just?page=1

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
The comfy chair works for me!

:rofl:

....and me......but not too comfy, with my back. :(

I recommend a Ekornes Stressless for back problems & relaxed listening (or for those who don't trust their hearing ever - pouring over graphs & specs in comfort) ;)

Although I don't always agree with your PoV, you've always struck me as someone who is thoughtful, courteous & willing to listen to others with differing views - something not always reciprocated.

There are also good & bad scientists & engineers. Good ones rarely use the word "impossible" - they prefer "unlikely"!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
I recommend a Ekornes Stressless for back problems & relaxed listening (or for those who don't trust their hearing ever - pouring over graphs & specs in comfort) ;)

Although I don't always agree with your PoV, you've always struck me as someone who is thoughtful, courteous & willing to listen to others with differing views - something not always reciprocated.

There are also good & bad scientists & engineers. Good ones rarely use the word "impossible" - they prefer "unlikely"!

Thank you for both the recommendation and the feedback......it's easy to start questioning one's sanity after a while......though TBF, I've always been a little on the Nutty side.

T

the record spot

I see Ashley's favourite lapdog's off on one again. Yes, Max, the Steve Hoffman forum is very good for info. Of course, you can be selective on its content. But I don't claim to be a mastering guru, just rehash what is on there already. I wouldn't claim it's a fact at all and disparage anyone's view to the contrary...but that's just me. Then again, seeing as that's a mastering forum which is one of the things you really need to get right in digital, I wonder why it's supposed to be foo? Oh dear... :poke:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
A right of reply.

My nemesis over on the Darkside has made some big assumptions about what, and how I think, and has somehow made "Listening, and making up one's own mind" sound like a ludicrous thing to do.....though I can see how encouraging this in certain circumstances, can have its advantages.

I'm intrigued that I'm seen as the one with the entrenched opinion, when it is others who lay down the law as to what is science, what is Foo and won't try for themselves, all while dogmatically telling others that disagree with them, that they are foolish and gullible......now I wonder where that approach comes from.

My history that lead to my position is as follows: I had read the arguments on both sides, and was in fact very sceptical. I decided to take a measured approach, and actually went about it in a fashion that was quite close to the method mentioned (despite the implication that I wouldn't). I took a bunch of cables at a variety of prices, waited till everyone was out and started messing about.

I had mains cables from Cardas, Audioquest, TCI, Clearer Audio and Atlas. I did a lot of swapping about, and what I found was that it made a worthwhile difference to my amps, and no difference to the Linn DS (some made it worse). I found this strange because I had always been told that it would have the biggest effect on the Source. I suspect that it was something to do with the fact that the Linn Dynamik power supply is doing a great job.

To confirm my findings, I went to my most sceptical friend, who was one of the few people I knew that was into hifi. He made all the same arguments that are played out ad infinitum, on most cable threads.

We played some music on the AVR600 with the standard lead, then changed to the Cardas one. The difference was so apparent, that he looked at me and accused me of making some underhand tweak. He wouldn't believe me until he personally changed the leads back and forth himself. He went away scratching his head as it flew in the face of everything he believed in (due to a science background). He now has made up his own cables, and can hear the benefit.

I know it's a cliché, but I also brought my daughter and Mrs. Cno into the fray, and they could tell when an after-market cable was put into the amp (without knowing), provided I didn't take too long to change it over.

I have also been to cable demos by TCI, Atlas, Vertere and TQ...and the result was the same.

I have never taken anybody's word for anything and always experiment. I have heard cables make no difference, and in some cases make things worse.....so this doesn't equate with the accusation that I'm simply hearing an improvement due to expectation bias.

Am I entrenched....possibly; though it's based on doing a lot of practical research...the results of which have been far from predictable. I feel it at least gives me the right to put my view across.

My position is this; imagine you are standing looking at an Aardvark, while typing so on a forum. Then people on the forum queue up to tell you that it's not possible, as they don't exist in your country. You reply that it is, as you are looking directly at it.

You ask if they have ever either been to your country, or even seen an Aardvark. To which they reply that they haven't (on both counts), but they don't need to, as they know it's not possible. The suggestion is that you need to get your eyes checked, and not to post any further comments, as it will mislead anyone who reads it (into believing such nonsense).

Now you don't need to tell me that the above example is a little OTT, but it makes the point from my perspective.

I know none of this amounts to proof, which is why I always state it as my opinion......and tell people to try for themselves.

The "Foo Fighters" make sure that they argue in such a dogmatic way, that they have an answer for every eventuality

- We are right, because Science says so

- We don't need to listen because there is no need, as science says it's impossible

- If you hear a difference, it is imaginary due to "expectation bias."

- Anyone recommending that you even try a cable is being irresponsible.

- Any proof you think you have isn't reliable

- Everything that a cable manufacturer is nonsense

- The people who say there is a benefit are brainwashing the reader, so anything they hear is unreliable.

Cno (absolute bastard) - over and out.

Oops, didn't mean to talk about cables again. :oops:

I think part the problem here is that the "only" response you get is disbelief.

I don't personally believe mains cables make any difference. However that is provided they meet minimum standards. And the fact that I needed to put ferrite cores on the 2 mains cables for my speakers to prevent inteference from my mobile phone leads me to believe that shielding may very well help.

The inteference however was very obvious and to my knowledge only caused crackles from the speaker amps every now and then rather than any subtle change in the presentation of the music. Although I could not say that with total certainty. The ferrites helped immediately.

And a couple of ferrite cores are a lot cheaper than an expensive upgrade :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Frog, I see no practical way of conducting a test without the participants being aware. Whether they consider ABX comparisons a 'test' or not doesn't change the outcome IMO as it influences either outcome the same. It's a tried and tested method and I'm not aware of any realistic alternatives.

Sadly, no I am not sure if it is easily doable with audio. Of course if my other half was remotely interested in Hi-fi, I could test her.

You could ask a trusted friend to make changes at a random future time, but it's clutching at straws somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts