Subjective/objective testing /AB / AB/X, thoughts.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I want some discussion on testing, whether it be purely subjective, purely objective or a mixture of the two.

I did try to have this discussion on another forum, but my posts were “moderated away” and the topic locked. Seemed there was to be no doubt at all cast on AB AB/X testing. Shame, it had stayed sensible and unheated, just some difference in opinion and misunderstanding of what was being said (IMO).

I'll start with where I stand. Many will have a clue already, but I fully approve of, and endorse the idea of blind testing, especially AB/X testing. AB/X is the only truly scientific method of comparing 2 similar sounding components (whether it be hardware, or software (in the case of codecs)).

My feeling is that if enough people do the same test, and can find no statistically meaningful difference between 2 components, then they are to all intents and purposes, the same (in terms of audibility).

With these tests I have proven (to myself) that it is worthless changing cables (of any description) beyond ensuring they are fit for the purpose...i.e. they aren't far too thin and high in resistance and they are well built and not prone to failure. I have also proven to myself that 256 Kbps and above, done properly in lossy MP3, AAC, OGG is more than enough to be transparent to the original and that anything over 16 /44.1 is pointless. Any changes in quality here are down to the original mastering.

So, while I think it is a small percentage of people, I believe AB/X testing results can be affected by the very fact that we “know” we are trying to test something, rather than simply sitting and enjoying the music.

However, I also think that single tests, or tests where there are not many participants can be flawed, flawed for the very same reasons as I think that non-blind AB testing is flawed, i.e. our brain plays tricks on us, and our ears hear things differently in different circumstances. Tests done with wine have shown that 2 identical wines, labelled differently, one cheap, one expensive, will receive different opinions by the same person. People will claim that the expensive one “tastes better”. But they are the same...However, the “expensive labelled version” does indeed taste better, as brain scans have shown more activity in the brain's pleasure centres whilst drinking it. So not only is the brain being fooled, it is reacting physically differently to 2 identical yet differently labelled bottles.

I think it's quite fair to extrapolate this to audio and say that 2 cables, one a super expensive one, one a cheap one can physically sound different to a person listening, even if they produce an identical result.

And example I gave (or tried to) was that my mother herself did not pass any exams at school, yet she was and is a clever person, however she was terrified of exams, and froze. Worry about "the future" I feel is no issue here as in those days, it wasn't so important for women to actually succeed in school either as most were expected to get married, have kids and stay at home.

Yes, this is an anecdotal case, and I have no idea if it is applicable, but it feels like it may be, at least to me.

So, on the one hand, I embrace blind testing, especially AB/X, but on the other say that they are rarely conclusive, and only begin to be with a large pool of participants.

Not only that, I can understand why some people don't bother. I reported a pass for 320 Kbps MP3, (which I think is remarkable myself), but the first response I got was “I would suspect the testing method” . I think it's responses such as that that make people think “why bother?”.

So, what do you people reckon?

Are they worth it to you?

Do you really trust your ears in a sighted test?

Do you think that the act of testing and knowing you are testing can alter the results?

Anything else?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
There's long threads about this on a couple of other forums, many still going strong.

Do we need another of these stifling, and ultimately pointless in that consensus is never reached, threads?

T

the record spot

SNN3129A---682_1399517a.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What you are proposing is near impossible for most people without a stockroom full of gear, test equipment, volunteers and the time to do all the tests in a properly controlled fashion.

I think this should be a debate between you and professional testers / reviewers / manufacturers etc. and not the the average consumer or enthusiast.

I can't even stand auditioning gear in shops any more. (Headaches and 'ennui' set in rapidly so it's a hopeless task.) The only way I can 'test' new equipment is to get an item home, decide if I like it and either buy it or return it.

Good luck if you do have the time, equipment, personnel, room and scientific rigour to do all this. I got weary just imagining it all when reading your post.

When / if I get to change my system next time around, I will ensure that the new system has absolutely everything I need in terms of functions and connectivity, make sure it is affordable, make sure it looks right and then try it at home. I will not be ABX'ing it against shelves full of alternatives (blind or otherwise) or involving listening panels of people who won't have to live with it like I do.

As I said before. This is a question for the industry and the reviewers.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Seems like people are not reading the whole post.

I am trying to say that while ABX is very useful, it is not 100% infallible. And I'd like to see opinions of where it is most useful, how it is most usefully implemented, etc.

No arguing or nastiness, simply discussion. Is it possible?

T

the record spot

Wasn't suggesting argument or nastiness fr0g, but it's been done to death. Those that believe in it, have need of it or use it in their reviewing, buying or product development will use it, others trust their ears (see the Steve Hoffman forum for views on that for one example) and go down that route.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:

Probably not on this forum. Try somewhere more science based. This is predominantly a place for the 'audiophile' not the engineer. You won't be able to have a rational debate. There are some nice people posting on the headphone section though.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Wasn't suggesting argument or nastiness fr0g, but it's been done to death. Those that believe in it, have need of it or use it in their reviewing, buying or product development will use it, others trust their ears (see the Steve Hoffman forum for views on that for one example) and go down that route.

The thing is, only the "My dad is bigger than yours" nastiness has been done to death. The "yes, no" tennis, the "you're dumb, no you are" nonsense.

There is no doubt that blind AB ABX can be useful, but I wanted a more philosophical (almost) take on it.

Asking too much ?

T

the record spot

pauln said:
fr0g said:

Probably not on this forum. Try somewhere more science based. This is predominantly a place for the 'audiophile' not the engineer. You won't be able to have a rational debate. There are some nice people posting on the headphone section though.

The kind of dismissive comment about this place's membership that just serves to wind people up Paul. You're welcome to your views, but there are several qualified people on here. Some even tertiary qualified. Others are regular guys who just want to chat about hifi or technology and others are new to the game. Your problem is? That we're not all scientists or bandy around the phrase "science" enough? Such is life.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
fr0g said:

I did first, posts were removed by an over-protective moderator with a rather fixed view on life.

T

the record spot

fr0g said:
the record spot said:

The thing is, only the "My dad is bigger than yours" nastiness has been done to death. The "yes, no" tennis, the "you're dumb, no you are" nonsense.

There is no doubt that blind AB ABX can be useful, but I wanted a more philosophical (almost) take on it.

Asking too much ?

Probably not mate, but I'm with Chebby on this one.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
pauln said:
fr0g said:

The kind of dismissive comment about this place's membership that just serves to wind people up Paul. You're welcome to your views, but there are several qualified people on here. Some even tertiary qualified. Others are regular guys who just want to chat about hifi or technology and others are new to the game. Your problem is? That we're not all scientists or bandy around the phrase "science" enough? Such is life.

It is unnecessary, but then if we could get beyond that, I'd love to hear opinions on the subject in hand. Anyway, time to cook. Will my food be nicer than yesterday? Maybe I should start to save some and do a blind test each day :)

Paul.

The biggest problem I would find is practicality. When something new gets plugged in, it pretty much always sound good. Subtle negatives don't show their head for a little while, it take a prolonged listening to notice. People on here regularly point out how crap our auditory memory is, I assume this is why. I don't know how prolonged blind AB/Xing can occur?

Thats what I used to find anyway, before my vinyl fettling illness was cured. Now I just tend to turn it up a little bit if something displeases me ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Reading through your post again, it is clear that you have proved to yourself (or had proved by others to your satisfaction) all the discussion points like differences (or lack of) between codecs, cables, levels of compression. wines, amplifiers etc.

Therefore any debate or disagreement (or differences in our experience) is going to go no-where because you've already been convinced. Your conviction in such matters are bound to lead to challenge and this will lead to arguments.

I don't drink wine and I don't believe in the efficacy of very expensive 'boutique' cables and my own (limited and entirely sighted) tests of compression rates have convinced me that 320K AAC VBR is the point where I struggle to tell the difference from Apple Lossless so that's what I use.

I can also tell the difference between 256K iTunes downloads and my own 256K AAC rips from CDs of the same tracks. (Rips are so obviously superior to my ears.)

I have no desire to prove or disprove this to others (or even discuss it). So if someone tells me I am wrong on all counts then good luck to you whoever you are. (£5 says it'll be Cnoevil anyway.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I have no desire to prove or disprove this to others (or even discuss it). So if someone tells me I am wrong on all counts then good luck to you whoever you are. (£5 says it'll be Cnoevil anyway.)

Hmmm!

I don't tell people they are wrong (though I'll pass on what I've heard), but to go and listen and then make up their own mind.....which you have done.

Can I have the £5? :p

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I did qualify my statement by using the word "predominantly".

I do remember that when I first posted here, looking for advice on a couple of things, I received very little. I note that many first timers posts go unanswered.

It is time I stopped coming here though - it's become a habit. Weird.

Full praise to Dalethorn and Quadpatch in the headphone section - two really helpful and knowledgeable guys.

T

the record spot

pauln said:
I did qualify my statement by using the word "predominantly".

I do remember that when I first posted here, looking for advice on a couple of things, I received very little. I note that many first timers posts go unanswered.

It is time I stopped coming here though - it's become a habit. Weird.

Full praise to Dalethorn and Quadpatch in the headphone section - two really helpful and knowledgeable guys.

Paul, it's a forum, not a surgery. People come and go and sometimes questions will go unanswered. Posts sometimes get few replies, some get hundreds. It's forum life the internet over. I get the impression your question went down the quieter funnel. People around here are fine, pretty respectful of others and tolerant of others views in the main, with a very few exceptions. But there's really nothing here that isn't replicated elsewhere on fora of other interests or subject matters.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Reading through your post again, it is clear that you have proved to yourself (or had proved by others to your satisfaction) all the discussion points like differences (or lack of) between codecs, cables, levels of compression. wines, amplifiers etc.

Therefore any debate or disagreement (or differences in our experience) is going to go no-where because you've already been convinced. Your conviction in such matters are bound to lead to challenge and this will lead to arguments.

I don't drink wine and I don't believe in the efficacy of very expensive 'boutique' cables and my own (limited and entirely sighted) tests of compression rates have convinced me that 320K AAC VBR is the point where I struggle to tell the difference from Apple Lossless so that's what I use.

I can also tell the difference between 256K iTunes downloads and my own 256K AAC rips from CDs of the same tracks. (Rips are so obviously superior to my ears.)

You're missing the point. I need no backup or challenge for what I have "proven" to myself, it was merely there to state my overriding feeling on the subject. The second (and more important in this context) part was to garner discussion. How much can we guarantee that such a test is valid. I feel it can never be 100% (albeit not far off given enough people), and that the change in environment can be a factor.

I am merely interested in non-agressive opinions. Fighting (as you know) is pointless. Hearing other people's reasoning is not.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If the difference is so small that it's only a possibility that it might be identified in an ABX test is the difference really worth worrying about?

Are you speakers/room measuring near-flat across the frequency range? If the answer is no or you don't know then you are wasting your time worrying about which amp or CD player will sound better because you'll never hear what its capable of anyway.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
If the difference is so small that it's only a possibility that it might be identified in an ABX test is the difference really worth worrying about?

Are you speakers/room measuring near-flat across the frequency range? If the answer is no or you don't know then you are wasting your time worrying about which amp or CD player will sound better because you'll never hear what its capable of anyway.

Surely that is what the pursuit of Hi-fi nirvana is all about though?

I agree, the speakers are the most important link by a considerable margin, but given you have speakers, and not actives, then is it not worth trying to get the best out of them? I'm not saying it is, it's just a thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts