Sub Woofer through Hi Fi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Look on ebay there are decent REL, velodyne, B&W subs on there at decent prices also look For Miller and Kreisel (M&K) subs they all have high level inputs. They can integrate well with many stereo's as some of them are very musical.

A

Anonymous

Surely the question arises: Save the money, sell the standmounts and then buy some more expensive floorstanders?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Surely the question arises: Save the money, sell the standmounts and then buy some more expensive floorstanders?[/quote]
I still use my small sub on £900 floorstanders... It takes a rather big floorstander to reproduce the frequencies that a decent sub can.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Drummerdave"]No, haven't heard them both, just done a lot of research and found comments like:-

"Whilst the design and build quality of the PV1 are beyond reproach, unless you have the need for a sub with exceptionally clean upper bass because you have very small satellite speakers, then the PV1 is actually bettered (unfortunately, by quite a margin) by the likes of the BK-XLS-200 for £290.
.[/quote] Are you saying that the cabinet is too small for it to be decent? My sub has a 12" driver housed in a 34cmx34cmx37cm box. It is superb. I've read in hifi only magazines that the PV1 is astonishing. Clare has raved over it on a few occasions on here also. I think you should listen to it. I would be very surprised if it wasn't more musical than a £300 woofer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the comments. I have to say Gerrardasnails you're
really winding me up. Didn't you say that you haven't tried either PV1 or
Monolith? Why are you even commenting on either then, or is an ego thing? I
have observed from the sidelines and you do criticise a lot other peoples
opinions yet it appears that you are relying on the opinions of others rather than
your own experience. I would really appreciate it if I could have the opinions
of those in the know, rather than those that brown-nose those in the know.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FamilyMan"]

opinions yet it appears that you are relying on the opinions of others rather than

[/quote]

There's some tests here. http://www.subwoofertests.com/testresults.html

Regards Ed

Sorry, I can't seem to make it clickable.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FamilyMan"]

[/quote] What are you going on about? I suggested to the guy who slammed the PV1 that surely he couldn't if he hasn't listened to both. I have not slammed either subwoofer. I have only mentioned my one as I have listened to that. Where are you getting these allegations of me criticising people?? Proof please. "Brown-nose those in the know"? Get back to the family if I'm winding you up or at least come up with something concrete.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I suggested to the guy who slammed the PV1 that surely he couldn't if he hasn't listened to both.[/quote]

All are in the subwoofer tests link I posted above. I'll be kind to the PV1 and say the BKs give it stiff competition even without the price difference.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Eddy Current"]
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I suggested to the guy who slammed the PV1 that surely he couldn't if he hasn't listened to both.[/quote]

All are in the subwoofer tests link I posted above. I'll be kind to the PV1 and say the BKs give it stiff competition even without the price difference.

[/quote] Fair enough. That is one review on a number of different subs. I've read reviews at HFC and this magazine and they raved over the PV1 - now please take note (especially Family Man) that I am not saying you are wrong, just that one online review does not make or break the reputation of a piece of kit.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"][quote user="Eddy Current"]

[/quote] Fair enough. That is one review on a number of different subs. I've read reviews at HFC and this magazine and they raved over the PV1 - now please take note (especially Family Man) that I am not saying you are wrong, just that one online review does not make or break the reputation of a piece of kit.[/quote]

It wasn't just a review, it was a comprehensive comparative test under controlled conditions. A level playing field (ground
emotion-1.gif
) where there was nowhere for the under performers to hide.

TRENDING THREADS