Sub Woofer through Hi Fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is a stupid question but is there any way of connecting a sub woofer to a "normal" hi fi amp or CD player? For instance can the co ax out on the CDP be connected to the sub? I have Roksan Caspian CDP and amp. Cheers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FamilyMan"]

This is a stupid question but is there any way of connecting a sub woofer to a "normal" hi fi amp or CD player? For instance can the co ax out on the CDP be connected to the sub? I have Roksan Caspian CDP and amp. Cheers

[/quote]

The easiest way is to use the high level input to the sub wired directly to the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Eddy are you saying it can be done by using two runs of cables from the sub to the speakers?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]Eddy are you saying it can be done by using two runs of cables from the sub to the speakers?[/quote]

Yes.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mrbungle"]Why would you want a sub :p[/quote]

If you want to hear proper bass while retaining your small neat stand mounts (such as 601s) it's the only way to do it.
emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed

A

Anonymous

Is that only with a sub with speaker wire connections? I have a KEF sub with a coax input only. Is it still possible somehow?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddy Current"]

If you want to hear proper bass while retaining your small neat stand mounts (such as 601s) it's the only way to do it.
emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed
[/quote]

In your opinion, not mine or many others.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]Is that only with a sub with speaker wire connections? I have a KEF sub with a coax input only. Is it still possible somehow?[/quote]It's still possible but it involves Y-cables and splitters... yuck. I'd say you should flog the Kef and get a proper sub with high-levels.

A

Anonymous

That's a bold statement. And how much of my money would you have me spend before I could buy a proper sub?

A

Anonymous

I'm not saying Kef isn't proper. I just don't like the sound of this 'no high levels' business. As for how much... no idea I haven't ever bought a new sub.

Anyway, buy an phono cable that goes from stereo to mono (Y), then plug that sucker into your pre-out and sub. If it sounds good stick with it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FamilyMan"]

[/quote]

Why not look up your sub's manual? I have connected mine with cables from the amp's pre-outs, simple enough. Buy good interconnects!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="mrbungle"][quote user="Eddy Current"]

emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed
[/quote]

In your opinion, not mine or many others.[/quote]

If you want the lower bass reproduction of your music, you need a sub, or full range speakers. Certainly if you have standmounts. If you are happy missing part of the range that is on the CD or LP then fine.

* A PV1 would transform your system. Although you could get the same effect for a lot less money :)

T

the record spot

REL Strata and Storm woofties did the business for many and I think they still manufacture them (they just add another Roman numeral!). Not sure of price, but you must be looking somewhere in the £500+ bracket.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The PV1 has speaker level inputs and even comes with the cable for the job. Just wire it into your amp speaker terminals, plug the cable into the sub and you're set. Also, even though the PV1 gets wildly mixed reviews, IMO it's a great sub and looks the bo***cks too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]Is that only with a sub with speaker wire connections? I have a KEF sub with a coax input only. Is it still possible somehow?[/quote]

Yes, using resistors to attenuate the signal it could be done. I would suggest two 100Kohm in series with the positive speaker connection of each channel and 10kohm across the coax input, and two 220 ohm to connect from each speaker negative to the coax outer. You can use thin wires from the speakers.

Regards Ed

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed

[/quote]

I can only say that since I bought a sub my system is transformed. Have you tried one?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site

Surely, unless you have Wilson Benesch-type budget, the only way to come close to replicating the often extreme top- to low-end range of classical music - eg Bach's Toccata & Fugue, Holst's Planets or Elgar's Cello Concerto - is with a sub? Even solo piano, such as Bach's Partitas, benefits from more natural-sounding low-end timbre with a sub.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddy Current"]

emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed

[/quote]

I can only say that since I bought a sub my system is transformed. Have you tried one?

[/quote]

You've spent money and the outcome is enjoyable. That's really the only thing that matters. Enjoy..

A

Anonymous

[quote user="sivanessen"][quote user="Eddy Current"]

emotion-1.gif

Regards Ed

[/quote]

[/quote]

You've spent money and the outcome is enjoyable. That's really the only thing that matters. Enjoy..[/quote]

Exactly. I think with a sub it's a case of what you've never had you don't miss, or at least that's how it was for me. I was happy with the sound I had for many years and have only had a sub for six months, but wouldn't want to have to do without it now.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Drummerdave"]Surely a BK Monolith will slay a PV1 at less than half the price and it doesn't look like a giant ballbearing which is near impossible to integrate into most living rooms[/quote] Have you tried both? I've not listened to either and so I wouldn't say one was better than the other. However, just because the PV1 doesn't look like a big bland rectangular box, doesn't mean it won't be good. I've just bought the MA RSW12 - the noise it generates is hard to comprehend considering it's size - only the weight (over 25kg) gives the game away.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
No, haven't heard them both, just done a lot of research and found comments like:-

"Whilst the design and build quality of the PV1 are beyond reproach, unless you have the need for a sub with exceptionally clean upper bass because you have very small satellite speakers, then the PV1 is actually bettered (unfortunately, by quite a margin) by the likes of the BK-XLS-200 for £290.

The PV1's main problems are that it was designed to answer a number of engineering problems that aren't actually an issue in subs of a comparable size or performance.

Opposed drivers to cancel vibration? A well made sub is quite capable of providing enough mass to render the moving mass of it's driver an irrelevance.

Spherical cabinet to cope pressure induced resonance? Any well engineered sub of a similar size has cabinet dimensions too small to resonate within the sub bass frequencies.

If it were twice the volume and sported 10" drivers, then we'd have something worth talking about, but in reality, it doesn't actually offer anything other than a style based argument over B&W's own ASW-675 for considerably less money."

I know the aesthetics are subjective but I'd much prefer to have a beautifully made timber cabinet sitting in my living room than a look-at-me metal sphere.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Drummerdave"]Surely a BK Monolith will slay a PV1 at less than half the price and it doesn't look like a giant ballbearing which is near impossible to integrate into most living rooms[/quote]

I wanted a Monolith because my friend has one and its sound is just awesome but the boss lady said no. Something to do with it being huge.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts