Sub woofer placement please

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My sub is currently slightly behind and to one side of the seating. I could with some trouble move it to the front between the main speakers. Is its present position fundamentally wrong or is it maybe ok?

Thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Each house is different acoustically; mine is set off to the side of the sofa between the front right & right surround speaker & fires across the front of 2 sofas. It was set up using the YPAO mike set up on my Yamaha & then redone with all of the other speakers using an SPL meter. It sounds good to me.

Regards ..Paul

pmarb

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
As Paul says, each room is different. Quickest method i've found for helping friends set up their subs is put the sub in the listening position, place some bass heavy music and then walk around the room identifying 'spots' where the bass is neither lacking or boomy. Then decide on one of these which suits use of the room the best and then place sub there and start fiddling with settings to get integration satisfactory, cheers, Tony

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The best place for a sub is usually in a corner, particularly a corner comprising of two outside walls (these are generally thicker and more rigid than a single brick wall). You can get quite a lift from a sub placed in a corner - usually in the region of 3-6dB. This means that the sub can sound at least twice as loud at the same volume, so it doesn't have to be pushed as hard. In some rooms this can boom a little though, and can give its position away, but it's worth trying. I can usually hear where the sub is (not the subs fault, but I can usually tell), so I always try and place mine as central as possible, and always at the front. I will usually recommend placing the sub anywhere along the front wall with the front speakers. I usually go further and say that I'd recommend putting it between the front left and right speaker somewhere, but as many people have to compromise with the placement of speakers in one way or another, I'll say anywhere along the front wall, corner to corner.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Mmmm - not quite the answer I wanted david but thanks very much for a detailed response. I will do some weight lifting and give the front a go. I cant manage a corner but I can experiment a little further.

Many thanks again for a valued opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts