Sub suggestions, please?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I now have a CDP, amp and speakers that i'm more than happy with.

To finish everything off, i'm after a sub, as I hear that a good sub that's well integrated gives an effortless air to the low end.

This sub will be for hi-fi use only, so i'm after no 'Boom Boom' box. Finesse, and speed are key qualities.

I'd like to spend between £300-£400. £500 at a push.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, all.

EDIT: I see the Tannoy TS-10 got a great review and has a nice price. Is it geared towards home-cinema use only? Is it a viable choice for me?

A

Anonymous

I use a Velodyne SPL 1000ii and love it ....... a little over your budget, but I suggest you try models they offer that are to your budget .... they rock!

A

Anonymous

An exdemo or used REL R Series sub would be a good buy. I've seen one on ebay for about £450 and nearly bought it my self. I think it was from Peter Tyson or something similar.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Many people think MK subs are designed for home cinema, which they are, but because they're a sealed sub and not ported, and are designed to crossover at higher crossover points than many other subs in order to match in better with their own speakers, they do actually work extremely well for music too. The KX12 is available for just over £400 (normally £600), and is worth considering.

T

the record spot

Along with the Storm, I think these are two of REL's more well known models. Very highly rated from memory (roughly a decade or so back, but hardly going to be shoddy now).

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Along with the Storm, I think these are two of REL's more well known models. Very highly rated from memory (roughly a decade or so back, but hardly going to be shoddy now).

Thank you. The sub market is new territory for me, so all help gratefully received.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've just bought a BK XLS300/PR which replaced my REL Q150E. I'm very impressed with it and although it was bought for home cinema use, I've found it fast enough to keep pace with my Proac's with music. Although the Proac's are rated as low as 24hz, I've set the sub to do everything below 60hz, the result is a lot cleaner bass, which is punchy and deep. This had had the effect of opening up the sound from my Proac's, I guess they are an easier load to drive with some of the low stuff going to the sub. If you have a search on Google for the BK XLS300/PR, you'll find a useful review, plus the benefits of the passive radiator it employs.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Any opinions of the Rel Strata?

I have a REL Strata 5 and am very happy with it, both for hi-fi and home cinema. I bought it ex-dem at a very good price so didn't do any comparisons at the time, so can't say it's better or worse than other makes/models. But for hi-fi it does for me what they say a good sub should do - you can't hear it. It does literally sound like the extra bass is coming from the stereo speakers - only when you turn it off do you then appreciate what it's doing. Which, btw, isn't just extra bass - there is a definite sense of improved mid-range and trebble - not sure if that's an electrical thing, acoustics, or just my hearing!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
margetti:
bretty:Any opinions of the Rel Strata?

I have a REL Strata 5 and am very happy with it, both for hi-fi and home cinema. I bought it ex-dem at a very good price so didn't do any comparisons at the time, so can't say it's better or worse than other makes/models. But for hi-fi it does for me what they say a good sub should do - you can't hear it. It does literally sound like the extra bass is coming from the stereo speakers - only when you turn it off do you then appreciate what it's doing. Which, btw, isn't just extra bass - there is a definite sense of improved mid-range and trebble - not sure if that's an electrical thing, acoustics, or just my hearing!

That's exactly what I want, subtle bass re-inforcement.

Sounds like the REL could be a winner!

Thank you.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Sounds like the REL could be a winner!

Guess who used to supply parts and make subs for REL (plus quite a few other manufacturers), save some money and cut out the middle man.

A

Anonymous

I don't have the Strata but the Stampede integrates well in my set up and the Strata would likely be even better as it is the next one up in the range. I assume you are buying 2nd hand.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the same sub as Pete and am equally impressed with it,it`s quite a large beast though but there are smaller subs in the BK range if needed.Agree as well that they are good value for money and have excellent build quality plus plenty of grunt.Must point out that I have no connection with BK other than as a satisfied customer!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Trilobite:I don't have the Strata but the Stampede integrates well in my set up and the Strata would likely be even better as it is the next one up in the range. I assume you are buying 2nd hand.

Yes, it's second hand. In great nick, a steal of a price (£150) and it's only round the corner.

Do you use your Stampede for hi-fi duties?

A

Anonymous

I just bought a Martin Logan Dynamo sub. Not sure about availability in the UK though. Great price, it seems they are being discounted on my side of the world. A 10 inch driver in a sealed box, that goes down to 25Hz, and a strong reputation as a musical sub. I haven't been able to try it out yet personally.

Might be worth looking into.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The Rel Strata I was going for was all but mine until the last ten seconds of the auction, when it shot up to over the £200 mark. I think it was worth the money, but i've oulaid so much cash in the last 3 months, that I had to stick to my budget and let it go. I was gutted.

However, everything happens for a reason, and yesterday I picked up a Rel Strata II for £160. From the wee bit of research that i've done, it seems to be better than the mk I model. All the online reviews I have read have said that it is brilliant for music. I can't wait to get it.

Anyone own one, or had one in past and would like to pass on your views?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts