Sub settings

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Had a couple of posts now on this issue and thought I would try and get some clarification on settings after some testing.

Had my sub situated in the corner and was far too boomy. So I have moved it face front to see if it will better complement the sound.

Currently I have the volume set to roughly about half way the crossover on max (set in the amp to 80hz) and the dB level at -15 which is as low as it will go.

Movie on....and the bass is still absolutely booming. I try turning the crossover to 80Hz on the sub as well and this backs it off a little.

Is this ok to do. I understand that the volume should be set fairly high and then control from the amp. Only issue is that it won't go any lower in value.

Just need some advice on how to get the bass a little less boomy and have the sub set up so I am not damaging it with dodgy settings.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
michael_walkden:Movie on....and the bass is still absolutely booming. I try turning the crossover to 80Hz on the sub as well and this backs it off a little.

Errm, if the amp won't go any lower on the sub level and it's still booming then surely you need to turn the sub volume down a bit?

I mean really, is it that difficult?

A

Anonymous

You could also try lifting the settings for the other channels. Then turning down the master volume. Also try setting the sub crossover to max and the volume to half, and then has 'hammill' has said run the auto set up. Do the max number of readings with the first one being in the sweet spot where the main seating position is. The rest of the readings around and about various other potential listening positions.

A

Anonymous

Most people have their subs turned up far too high. I think there is a feeling that if i paid all this money for it, I'm going to get my moneys worth. Try re-running the auto calibration on your amp. Also try turning the sub volume level down.

Must admit when i ran the MCACC calibration on my amp it kep telling me to turn the volume down on my sub.

A sub shouldnt dominate the rest of your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thats exactly what I want, a sub that complements, not dominates the set up.

I'm sure Andrew E said the volume shouldn't be set less than half way as it may cause distortion. And to control the level via the amps menu's. But seeing as my onkyo doesn't go any lower than -15dB I am struggling that way.

Does the calibration work in the volume set on the sub at the time or does it set a standard volume while doing the test?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
michael_walkden:

I'm sure Andrew E said the volume shouldn't be set less than half way as it may cause distortion. And to control the level via the amps menu's. But seeing as my onkyo doesn't go any lower than -15dB I am struggling that way.

Does the calibration work in the volume set on the sub at the time or does it set a standard volume while doing the test?
Volume set on the sub at the time

A

Anonymous

Some more trail and error this eve.

Would it be a good idea to maybe try the bass extention on a lower setting to try calm the boomy feeling.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Try searching for subwoofer settings on this forum.

I'd also email B&W for their advice.

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

michael_walkden:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your amp or your sub. But I would imagine you have a volume switch on your sub. Adjusting the volume on your amp wont adjust the sub volume.

My sub volume level is set to slightly less than half way, but that's as loud as the auto calibration utility allowed me to set it. If I set it higher it overpowers the other speakers. When you say your Onyko doesnt go any lower than -15dB do you mean that's as loud or as quiet as it will go? (I'm assuming loud). If running the audio calibration on the amp doesn't sort it, try turning the sub volume level down as far as it will go (almost off), play something with some bass in it (war films with explosions, etc) and just keep turning the volume up on the sub in small increments. When it starts to get boomy, turn it back down a notch and thats your setting.

Another route would be to buy a sound level meter from maplins for under £20.

I must admit I struggled a lot with my first sub (a MS MS309i). There were too many variables and settings & nobody really seemed to know what to set to what.

A

Anonymous

The sub setting on the amp is at its lowest at -15dB, so it won't go any lower to make to sub reduce in volume.

I currently have it set to half but I guess I'll will have a play and find the sweet spot.

I'll give B&W a call see if they can offer any tips.

Sliced Bread

michael_walkden:I'm sure Andrew E said the volume shouldn't be set less than half way as it may cause distortion. And to control the level via the amps menu's. But seeing as my onkyo doesn't go any lower than -15dB I am struggling that way.
I interpreted what he said differently.

His first comment was to set the volume to

Andrew Everand:...about three-quarters.

But when asked if the sub should be set to maximum to allow the amp to fully control the subs level the response was:
Andrew Everard:
roger06:Could you not just turn the volume up full and let the amp adjust with its auto-set up?

You could do, but then you'd be outputting a very low-level signal from the receiver's sub out, which might be prone to noise and interference.

So it seems that a lower output from the amp is not a good thing...which makes sense. If your sub is too loud at a half way setting I would (based on the above) turn the sub down quite a bit until you get a reasonable level with the subs output on the amp set to about 0db, then fine tune it from there.

Hey Andrew,
Can you clarify if this is correct?
Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
michael_walkden:
The sub setting on the amp is at its lowest at -15dB, so it won't go any lower to make to sub reduce in volume.

I currently have it set to half but I guess I'll will have a play and find the sweet spot.

I'll give B&W a call see if they can offer any tips.

Try upping the individual speaker levels by say 7db each and leave the sub as it is. You then won't need to turn the receiver volume up so much and the sub might not be as loud.

A

Anonymous

Gerrard. Thats one thing I will try this eve. I thought If you level things out a bit more the sub should be knocked back.

On John's comment. I think the sub volume would be nearly at zero if the amp level was at 0dB. Otherwise I think I may bring my flat to the ground. I will try though and re run the auto set up.

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
When I set my sub up with the 876, I had my volume set at half way. This was way too loud! So I set it just below one quarter and it worked perfectly. Try that setting and see if it works? Mine runs at -3db from the amp.

A

Anonymous

The following is an extract from your user manual

Home Theatre Settings
Set the VOLUME (LINE or SPEAKER) control initially to
the 9 o'clock position.
Set the LOW-PASS FILTER switch to OUT.
Set the EQ switch initially to position A.
Set the PHASE switch initially to 0ø.
Set the LOW-PASS FREQ (frequency) control to 140 if
the speaker level inputs are used. The setting is
irrelevant if the line level inputs are used.

and in the fine tuning section

Surround sound processors normally have a calibrated
noise signal that can be used to set the relative levels
of all the speakers, making the task somewhat more
straightforward than for 2 channel audio. However, do
not be afraid to alter the settings to your personal
preference. It is all too easy to get carried away with
the capabilities of the subwoofer, especially with some
special low-frequency effects. Often a more realistic
portrayal, and one more satisfying in the long term, is
to be had by setting the subwoofer level lower than
the standard calibration level.

First of all I misunderstood what you meant when you said the amp was set at -15db. I now know you mean the channel level of the sub. Yes to be honest that does seem to low. I think its a good idea to have it a bit lower than the rest of your speakers so if your left front is set at 0 then your sub should be set at something like -5 (but your auto calibration should have a good stab at setting these). Then the volume switch on the sub itself - Turn it to 9 o clock like it says in your manual and re-test. As stack says above he has his set at one quarter (which is probably about 9 o clock)

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
"USE OF THE BYPASS SETTING "

If you have a THX , Dolby Digital , or DTS component with a built-in low-pass filter as part of it's subwoofer output or if you are using a separate electronic crossover , set the "LOW PASS FILTER" switch on the back of the subwoofer to "BYPASS" position. This bypasses the internal low-pass filter so that there is no interaction between the subwoofer's filter and your component filter.

High-Pass Filters: All Dolby Digital processors/receivers have built-in high-pass filters for the left,center, right, left surround and right surround channels. Always turn these filters ON by using the SMALL setting. If you have THX component , use THX setting. See the owner's manual of the processor/receiver for instructions.

THX Dolby Digital units have an adjustable limiter for the subwoofer feed called "Bass Peak level Management". Turn it off , or set it for the highest possible level. M&K subwoofers do not need this limiter.

Quote's from my sub manual. (i would class B&W in the same league as M&K)

I don't have your equipment but i would look at the following.

1) set sub low pass filter to bypass

2) set sub bass level to about quarter (starting point)

3) amp crossover to 80hz

4) amp DB level 0 (for subwoofer)

5) Run audyssey (note reference to small speaker settings above)

6) listen and tweek bass level from subwoofer.

Still no good reduce bass level further , move sub to different locations.

Keep trying.

I'm no expert but hope this is of use to you.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the replies guys.

Had a conversation with one of the sales reps from B&W (who I might add gave me an absolute brillantly deatiled answer) along the lines of what has been said.

I will go and test some bits out this eve and get back with my results.

One thing is I am not sure my Onkyo has the option to set the speakers as 'small'. maybe any Onkyo owners can confirm this for me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
michael_walkden:
Cheers for the replies guys.

Had a conversation with one of the sales reps from B&W (who I might add gave me an absolute brillantly deatiled answer) along the lines of what has been said.

I will go and test some bits out this eve and get back with my results.

One thing is I am not sure my Onkyo has the option to set the speakers as 'small'. maybe any Onkyo owners can confirm this for me.
>

I would be really surprised if you can't. For what it's worth, I have my floorstanders set as small and I let my receiver work the sub. My dub is at -15db, I think and it goes down to -20db. I have the crossover for my fronts set at 80hz.

A

Anonymous

With being at work I haven't got the manual. But I've been on Onkyo's set to get the PDF and the only thing I can find is a section on crossovers.

It says that if you have small speakers with a smaller woofer, increase the crossover. But there is nothing about a setting for small or large speakers.

Currently I have everything set to 80hz other than the fronts which are set to full band. BUt going to change them to as they are covering ground the sub is.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I have all my speakers (fronts, centre and rears) set to 60Hz.

The front speakers are set to 'small' (despite being floorstanders).

I think I'm correct in thinking I have the sub crossover at 120Hz currently too.

But with 2 channel (separate section for settings) I have the speakers set to 'full band', i think.

Hope that helps.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
I have all my speakers (fronts, centre and rears) set to 60Hz.

The front speakers are set to 'small' (despite being floorstanders).

I think I'm correct in thinking I have the sub crossover at 120Hz currently too.

But with 2 channel (separate section for settings) I have the speakers set to 'full band', i think.

Hope that helps.

Pistol, I would change your settings. Your rear speakers only go down to 68Hz, I would have your rear and centre crossovers set at 100Hz and your fronts 80Hz. Your 1030i speakers go down to 48Hz but your sub will do between 48Hz and 80Hz better than your speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts