admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
a while back i posted a question re sub set up due to mine sounding a little detached from the rest of the system (seems to ubruptly cut in a and out when it is needed to be a subtle and smooth. A great example of this is the night club scene in matrix revolution) Now i was told to play around with phase and crossover. Ive done this using the same scene from matrix and to me it makes no difference to the sound whatsoever. The sub still blurts in and out of the sound instead of being smooth and itegrated with the rest of teh system. Maybe my ears are dumb but i would have expected a much different sound / smoothness to the sub with by at least playing around with the crossover.

anyone got any comments?

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I don't know which sub you're using, but my PV1 would be a bit tardy when clicking on (i.e. Detecting a signal) out of 'auto' mode.

Leaving it on 'On' means I don't get this problem. Perhaps you're sub is behaving in a similar manner.

Also, could you let us know what settings it's currently using?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply chris,

its an m&k sb8, its on auto, the phase is set to + and the crossover is set to bypass. If i play around with these settings it seems to make zero difference.

Maybe if anyone has the matirx they coudl try their sytem during that scene? I know i dont ask for much eh
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

anyone got any further thoughts? to my mind / ears it reall doesnt sound right at all......

A

Anonymous

You mention that your crossover is set to bypass, in which case I assume your crossover point is set in your receiver? Would go there to start fiddling with things.

But that aside, need to know a little more info. What speakers are you using? And where is your sub located in relation to your seating position and the speakers?

In my experience if the sub sounds excessively 'boomy' or cutting in and out like you say, there could be a number of factors at play.

Firstly, make sure the sub is not too loud. A lot of people tend to get a little heavy fisted with the volume control to try and get massive bass but all it does is destroy the cohesion of the sound.

Secondly, positioning. There is no simple rule here, and different people have different opinions. If your sub is in a corner, try moving it a little further out. Your sub appears to be front firing, is it firing directly at you or is there something in between your ears and the driver?

Thirdly, to go full circle, is the crossover. Depending on what speakers you have, make sure the crossover is not set too high otherwise the sub could be trying too hard. Conversly do not set it too low... even if you have large floorstanding speakers I would always cross them over at around the 60Hz - 80Hz mark (unless of course you have some monstrous Rockports or something....).

Aside from that, try some other test material as well. Don't just rely on one scene from one film. Try a couple of others, preferably films that you know very well. Also try some music. Personally I find it easier to hear how a sub is performing with music than film. It should be a smooth cohesive transition between the speakers and the sub. I.e. the sub should just be an extension of the main speakers, you shouldn't be able to detect that there is a sub even present. I'm not familiar with your M&K but going by the fact that it is sealed and has an 8" driver, it should be fast and tight, ideal for music.ÿ

A

Anonymous

If you go to the your systems section and look under the "my toys2 thread you will see that i have neat motive 1's as fronts and the sub is in between them (to the left).

I have an onk 905 and the sub was set up using the audyssey eq set up. The LPF of LFE is set to 80hz and the fronts are set to full band. The centre and surrounds are set to 80hz. Even if i do trim the volume a little it still suffers from it and then when i trim it to the point that it doesnt seem to boom then it pretty mush seems pointless to have it.

I will try some other test material this evening and have a further play around.

Maybe i could try the sub with some music through the CD player, althogh in my current settings the sub is not used (i have no need for the sub to be on with the speakers for music as the neats have plenty of low end authority!). i will have to lok to see how to use it with stereo music.

Im striving for this smooth transition that you talk of!!

Thanks for your input mate

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts