Sub rattling/distortion

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have a Monitor Audio RSW12 sub about 2 years old and I've noticed with some films from blu-ray a sort of rattling almost electrical distortion with low lfe.. it happens at the start of 'Bolt' and it happened as I was watching Tron Legacy last night... i wonder is it the sub needs to be turned down? I have it at half volume on the sub.. and the receiver (using audessey) is set at -9db. I am using a Denon 3310.

Any advice appreciated.. my description of the problem isnt great.. but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Cheers,
Mick

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The bit at start of Bolt you are referring to i presume is about two & a half minutes in & lasts about a minute, there is a lot of bass in that section of the film.

I've had a similar problem with my Paradigm PDR-10 in the past ( set at half volume ), it just needed some of the screws tightening up on it, i now check all my speakers every six months.

I have to add that when i set mine up on the Denon 1910 using Audessey & found it a bit wanting, until i used an SPL meter, it made a lot of difference.

Hope that helps.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
f1only said:
The bit at start of Bolt you are referring to i presume is about two & a half minutes in & lasts about a minute, there is a lot of bass in that section of the film.

I've had a similar problem with my Paradigm PDR-10 in the past ( set at half volume ), it just needed some of the screws tightening up on it, i now check all my speakers every six months.

I have to add that when i set mine up on the Denon 1910 using Audessey & found it a bit wanting, until i used an SPL meter, it made a lot of difference.

Hope that helps.

+1 for the SPL set up, tis the only way to be sure!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I would advise doing all of your speakers at the same time.

Put the SPL meter at your main listening point ( preferably on a tripod ), or half way between that & your 2nd listening point.

Using the test tones out of the amp, making sure you are not standing in the way of the speaker you are testing.

Turn each of the individual speakers up or down using the test tone until you get a reading of around 75db +/- of around 0.5db.

Leave the sub own volume as you have it, at about half volume & inrease or decrease as necessary on the amp.

It is a bit fiddely, took me around half an hour or so. It's importand that you try to keep any other background noise to an absolute bare minimum. Last time i did it i had a background noise between 38-45db.

Regards..

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
f1only said:
I would advise doing all of your speakers at the same time.

Put the SPL meter at your main listening point ( preferably on a tripod ), or half way between that & your 2nd listening point.

Using the test tones out of the amp, making sure you are not standing in the way of the speaker you are testing.

Turn each of the individual speakers up or down using the test tone until you get a reading of around 75db +/- of around 0.5db.

Leave the sub own volume as you have it, at about half volume & inrease or decrease as necessary on the amp.

It is a bit fiddely, took me around half an hour or so. It's importand that you try to keep any other background noise to an absolute bare minimum. Last time i did it i had a background noise between 38-45db.

Regards..

Spot on, the only thing I would add is to ensure that the spl meter is pointing upwards at your centre listening point at the heigh of your ears, so that it receives sound as we would, don't point the spl meter at the speakers the levels will be all to pot....

A

Anonymous

Hi Mick

I had this exact same sub and problem and all you need to is tighten everything all the bolts on the woofer and I even tightened all the screws on the back. Sometimes ths spikes can become loose and can cause a rattle so make sure all the feet are nice and tight.

I take it this rattling noise only happens on the lowest of notes mine used to happen with iron man and some other including inception so try those things ive stated above. If give the guy at monitor audio a ring I think Dan in the service department really gave some good advice and will do what he can to help.

But if it was alright before the rattle I would not worry about re-running Audyssey really, something has probably shaken loose a little

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

just to follow up with this - i took off the front grill and tightened up all the allen key screws.. they were actually quite loose..also levelled the sub properly using the adjustable feet.. there's still a little rattle there.. but it goesnt when i turn the receiver db down to -10.. i guess it was just being driven to hard? i contacted the shop where i bought it and they said its rare anything ever goes wrong with a rsw12.. but that they'd collect and check it out free of charge for me.. i'd be without it for a few days though.. i wonder should i get them to check it?

Cheers,
Mick

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything has it's limits. As long as it's been set up properly (room EQ set up etc), it should be the correct level in relation to the other channels. As long as it is, you're free to give it a good roasting. If you do come across any abnormal noises, and the screws are tight enough, then it is the sub begging for a bit of mercy! You could add a second sub, which won't give you more bass, but will give you a more even in-room response, less distortion, and 'share the load'. It might thank you for it :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks Frank, so you think i might have been driving it to hard? what would you recommend as an alternative to the RSW12? I have MA speakers all round.. Radius HD 225 for left/centre/right r90hs for surrounds

Cheers,
Mick

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Everything has it's limits. As long as it's been set up properly (room EQ set up etc), it should be the correct level in relation to the other channels. As long as it is, you're free to give it a good roasting. If you do come across any abnormal noises, and the screws are tight enough, then it is the sub begging for a bit of mercy! You could add a second sub, which won't give you more bass, but will give you a more even in-room response, less distortion, and 'share the load'. It might thank you for it :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RSW12 is fairly powerful, and there's many subs out there with 12" drivers. I think you'd need to be looking at a dual 12" sub, or a 15" driver - something like the Monitor Audio GXW15.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
micks_address said:
i contacted the shop where i bought it and they said its rare anything ever goes wrong with a rsw12.. but that they'd collect and check it out free of charge for me.. i'd be without it for a few days though.. i wonder should i get them to check it? Cheers, Mick

Looking at your setup levels of -9db & volume at half level on the back of the sub, it sounds like your not driving it that hard & should be reasonably intergrated with your other speakers.

Ok i havn't got the same sub, but mine is set around that level & was on my previous amps, hence my previous statement.

I would get the shop to check it out if they are picking it up & doing it free of charge, it'll certainly not do any harm. Possibly there may be some internal parts that have come a bit loose that you didn't check?

Or as david says

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You could add a second sub, which won't give you more bass, but will give you a more even in-room response, less distortion, and 'share the load'. It might thank you for it :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the advice guys,

i'll give the guys a shout in the shop and organise for collect.. be interesting to have to live without a sub for a while.. i wont bother rerunnign audessy.. its probably only going to be for a few days.. will let you know what they say when its back

f1only said:
micks_address said:
i contacted the shop where i bought it and they said its rare anything ever goes wrong with a rsw12.. but that they'd collect and check it out free of charge for me.. i'd be without it for a few days though.. i wonder should i get them to check it? Cheers, Mick

Looking at your setup levels of -9db & volume at half level on the back of the sub, it sounds like your not driving it that hard & should be reasonably intergrated with your other speakers.

Ok i havn't got the same sub, but mine is set around that level & was on my previous amps, hence my previous statement.

I would get the shop to check it out if they are picking it up & doing it free of charge, it'll certainly not do any harm. Possibly there may be some internal parts that have come a bit loose that you didn't check?

Or as david says

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You could add a second sub, which won't give you more bass, but will give you a more even in-room response, less distortion, and 'share the load'. It might thank you for it :)

TRENDING THREADS