Sub in understairs cupboard?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My TV is mounted on a wall which houses the understairs cupboard. Either side of the front left right speakers there are two doors, one to the cupboard and the other to the hallway where the stairs are located.

Currently I don't have a sub so am running a B&W 5.0 system which is great but lacking that little bit of umph that a sub gives. Question is: can I locate a B&W ASW600 in the understairs cupbaord or will the sound quality be too diminshed? There is literally nowhere else I can put it without getting a divorce. I think I can stop the cupboard door rattling but will the bass lose to much definition or due to the low frequency will the pine door in the way not make too much difference? I'm still hunting for one off ebay so can't just try it without spending a wad of cash - and don't want to do that if it wil be a waste of time.

I've seen a forum on this subject elsewhere but it didn't really reach a conclusion.

daveh75

I wouldn't bother with a sub if your only option is to put it in cupboard....Or get the divorce and put the sub wherever you like
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I tossed a coin and the wife won unfortunately. I think i'll give it a go and see what happens. The bloke in the other forum said it sounded fine. If I can't find an ASW600 does anyone know of a good alternative bearing in mind that i'm looking second hand off ebay? I don't know much about subs but there is a Vibe Alpha 1 on there but can't find reviews anywhere which I generally take as a negative. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

A

Anonymous

I should add that i'm using all B&W 602 s3 fronts, LCR60 centre and 600 s3 surrounds so don't know how much difference this makes.

A

Anonymous

ive got one of these and it's great, b stock, only a 1 month guarantee but it's mechanically perfect. rrp is £500..

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Theres a Rel quake going at a really good price with a day and a half left on ...., great sub(i used to have one) with plenty of punch and very small .

A

Anonymous

Is a Rel Quake any good with the set-up i've got? Would it be complimentary or just boomy?

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey, i have not seen your cupboard !!!

There is always a chance of boom in those type of surroundings but you will struggle to get a better sub for the money that is compact enough to fit the cupboard..

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have my sub in a unit with a sliding door and just open it when it's in use. It sounds fine, better than when I had it out of a unit I reckon.

Could you have the door open when the sub's ib use, or alter the door so it's possible? It might help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts