Sub for 2 channel AND home theater?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Cyrus 8XPD Pre amp and cyrus monoblock power amps for hifi, and B&W CM9 loudspeakers.

As part of my home theatre setup, I have a B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. If I wanted to experiment with using a sub for hifi, what is the easiest way to connect a sub like this to my Cyrus kit?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If the sub has high level/speaker level inputs, run speaker cable from the back of your power amps to the sub.

That's how I've got my sub connected. Low level from my Onkyo, high level from my Arcam. Just be sure you don't run music and movie sound simultaneously.

I do however question the need for a sub when you're using CM9s! I wouldn't have thought 'lack of bass' would have been particularly high on a list of the CM9s deficiencies.:)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Big Chris,

Im pretty sure that even much higher quality speakers than CM9s can be improved with the correct use of a decent subwoofer, even if its not essential.

Although my sub has line out and speaker level connections, Cyrus amps have BFU connections, I wouldnt know exactly how to connect them. Also complicated by the fact that I use the amp for home theatre duties using the HT bypass (called AV Direct by Cyrus).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
In this instance I guess you could run speaker cable from the back of the CM9s to the sub, lose the low level connection to your A/V amp altogether and use the controls on the sub for level/crossover/etc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion Big Chris but as movies have a dedicated LFE channel, I am not prepared to sacrifice this.

However, if i want to spend an evening listening to hi fi i would be happy enough to switch things over temporarily.... in that case.... If i wanted to unplug the line level input cable from my AVR and plug it into the Cyrus pre, would that be possible? How would i connect it to the Cyrus, anyone?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Do the Cyrus powers have a pair of switched speaker outs? You could connect high level off of these and switch them out when watching movies and switch on when the A/V amp is off and you're listening to music.

You can buy BFA connectors on eBay for the speaker cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts