Sub £500 subs???

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Looking to upgrade my sub, and wondered what others have (up to £500) which they would recommend. BK xxls400 is tempting, but demoing could be an issue. Was thinking also of the AE Neo V2 sub, from theWHF review it sounds like what I am after. I would much rather a good quality bass and lose a bit of low end. So before I go demoing and arranging the trips, thought I would see what others have and are happy with to help me draw up my list of potential candidates.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally I'd go with BK.....you should be able to send it back in the unlikely event it's not suitable (give them a ring).

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BK Very good sub, clean articulate bass when setup properly / room permitting. It does do quite deep bass, depending how much you have it turned up / your room and seating position. It doesn't do proper low rumble with enough spl output to rival some bigger subs but what it does do it does very clean

will cost a lot more to better it so is VGVM

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Also consider the Tannoy TS2.12, reviewed here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/tannoy-ts212-subwoofer-review/12593. Home Cinema Choice liked it rather more than What Hi-Fi did, here http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-ts212. I have the Tannoy subwoofer two generations older than this one (I have the TS12), and I quite like mine, so if this one is Tannoy's best ever it must be really rather good!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've just taken delivery of my first sub, the XXLS400DF - so it's early days but I'm very pleased so far. It's connected to both HIFI and HC set-ups. It was a compromise, the Monolith is better for HC, and the 400 better for music, but the 400 was still a much higher spec for the money, than the MA Bronze sub that would have matched my HC speakers.

So apart from the SQ, I will say that I found BK very good to deal with. They quickly answered my initial email enquiry, and then gave me some very helpful and unbiased advice to help me decide which sub to purchase. Lead-times were 2-4 days and I was able to choose a delivery day. Delivery and the packaging was excellent, and the finish on the sub is superb.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanrebecca said:
I've just taken delivery of my first sub, the XXLS400DF - so it's early days but I'm very pleased so far. It's connected to both HIFI and HC set-ups. It was a compromise, the Monolith is better for HC, and the 400 better for music, but the 400 was still a much higher spec for the money, than the MA Bronze sub that would have matched my HC speakers.

So apart from the SQ, I will say that I found BK very good to deal with. They quickly answered my initial email enquiry, and then gave me some very helpful and unbiased advice to help me decide which sub to purchase. Lead-times were 2-4 days and I was able to choose a delivery day. Delivery and the packaging was excellent, and the finish on the sub is superb.

FWIW. I think you made the correct choice. :cheer:

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your input. Have emailed BK for some recommendations and just Found a second hand one (XXLS400 df, 8 months old and colour of choice) on a used hifi website for £330. So will keep tabs on that. Gut feeling from all comments I have read on various forums is that with the BK I won't be disappointed. Fingers crossed will have something sorted in the next few weeks :)

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This is an interesting thread.

I run a velodyne CHT8-Q sub and find it pretty good. Only thing it seems to struggle with is really deep bass. I would like to know if the bk stuff is considerably better than my current sub for music? I really do want the moon on a stick though, with fast articulate and powerful bass!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The BK XXLS400DF is my first sub, so I cannot compare with other subs. It was immediately obvious the difference it made to watching films but I am gradually starting to really appreciate it's talents with music - connected via it's high level input to my hifi components.

For £425 spec wise - it is a 400w amp with a 12" drive unit in a sealed 50 litre enclosure weighing 27kg - which from what I can see compares very favourably against the Velodyne CHT-8Q.

BK said to me that if I was 80% music / 20% films choose the XXLS400 (or if the other way around choose the Monolith). For the money - spec wise - they both far exceeded the MA sub option to go with my MA Bronze HC speakers (the MA sub is £450).

One of the pointers for me in deciding was that I could not find any negative comments about the XXLS400.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts