Stylus upgrade on Ortofon red

Papa Shark

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
I am sure they have. However it might be better in the long run to replace the cartridge entirely.
The replacement of the stylus takes your cartridge up a level but, ultimately, that's as far as you can go.
thanks although from what i understand the blue stylus will be a significant upgrade as the present stylus limits what this cartridge is capable of. and for lazy me a plug & play upgrade.

D

Deleted member 108165

A not so common upgrade is mounting a 2M Bronze stylus in the cartridge, no one recommends it but it is a straight swap :) and a significant upgrade.

D

Deleted member 108165

that's something to think about, wonder why no one recommends it? must a reason.
Because the Bronze and Black share an upgraded cartridge, mounting these on a Red/Blue cart you will only achieve about 80% of their potential, but that is far more than the upgrade from Red to Blue will ever give you. It's a cheapskate upgrade that no dealer or Ortofon would ever agree with... not recommended, or words to that effect.
To my ears the Bronze is the best stylus in the 2M range.

D

Deleted member 108165

OM stylus can be made to Fit elliptical , fine line , shibata & line contact
2M Bronze/black have a different body/generator

.View attachment 1499
The cart internals may be different but the bodies are identical so the stylus fitment is common to both bodies. I do speak from experience as I've owned the entire range of 2M carts and bodies.

Reactions: Gray

iMark

I bought an Orfofon 2M Blue stylus in October last year when there was a discount for 100 years of Ortofon. It's even got a fancy "100" on the stylus. The stylus is definitely nicer sounding than the decent 2M Red. I would recommend the upgrade. I ordered it in the UK and paid GBP 110 including shipping to NL. Quite a bit cheaper than the EUR 159 (without shipping) they charge in NL.

Our player is a ProJect 1Xpression III Comfort which came with the 2M Red. Best sounding record player I have ever owned.

Reactions: Greenwich_Man

gfong

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
Did this back in 2011 on a Project table and really liked the upgrade from Red to Blue. Whatever you liked about the Red, the Blue does better and also has a lower noise floor which helps out a great deal while listening to softer music. The Blue tracks well and no inner groove distortion.

As some others have stated, just get the Blue stylus and save some bucks as the Red/Blue bodies are the same, unless you can get a great deal on the entire cart, which would make selling the Red easier with a body. Good luck on your choice.

Reactions: Greenwich_Man

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi. My first post here. I was about to ask this question. I’m upgrading from red to blue. The cartridges are identical (apart from the colour of the lettering) so I’ve just ordered the stylus by its self.
If I go any further than blue , bronze I’ll order the whole thing.

But for now. Blue stylus is in the post !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts