stylus retipping

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
what would one expect to pay to have a moving coil cartridge re tipped? i've been offered a turntable with an ortofon rondo red on it and i want to know what i am getting myself into as regards to future cost.(exchange at the mo is £225)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Cartridge Man quotes from £375 for a complete rebuild/re-tip of a moving coil cartridge, while Audio Dynamics in Melbourne, Australia, who took over the Garrott Brothers' business after the death of the famous brothers, will charge you from AU$200, or about £90, for a retip.

The Australian price is also subject to an inspection fee, and of course shipping, and the service takes about 4-6 weeks.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
the cartridge man price is more than the cartridge would cost new.
why such a big difference between their price and the aussie company?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, I guess you'd only have the cartridge rebuilt if it wasn't still possible to buy the same model new, or if you had a cartridge worth considerably more.

But bear in mind that price is for a complete cartridge rebuild, not just a retipping, which is what the Australian price covers.

As the Cartridge Man site says, "A rebuild will typically comprise stylus
replacement or re-tip and overhaul/replacement of cantilever, suspension
and coils as necessary."

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
thanks for your help.
might sell the rondo red and buy something i can afford to maintain like a Denon 110 or a Goldring 1042.
Not sure the phono stage on my alpha 9 would get the best out of the rondo anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts