Style Speakers

heavenlydoddy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello busy posting here !!. My new house build project is nearing completion. My budget is getting reduced by the day !!. I am on a style/size mission due to the duchess ! for a style package. I have tested alot of kit now but cant afford the apex's which were far better than anything else. B&W 685 quality sound but too biiiig !

The MT30 meet the required look for the other half but i have to be honest i was not over impressed. So have i missed anything out there around the 1000-1500 £ bracket ?. The room size is 4.2m2.. so not massive.

Also just to test you guys out, i have a set of MS 914s which will act as the front L/R which will also pre out for the cd player/nad amp. I did take these in & trial them with the MTs & it was ok ish. The plan was then to put the package L/R in the kitchen. Again input would be much appreciated. Will be posting the Tv help soon !!!.

Regards

Heavenly

Monitor Audio Radius HD.
emotion-21.gif

Check this, this & this. The RXW12 is a fabulous subwoofer in the 2nd option.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I had a similar problem earlier this year when I auditioned the MT-30's. I also felt a little underwhelmed. On advice from the guys at Sevenoaks I tried the MT-1's paired with Monitor Audio's RXW12 sub. I found it really filled in the midrange and left me feeling much happier. Have a listen, its worth a try and it could save you up to £200!

heavenlydoddy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys much appreciated, what do they look like on the wall, i know they look great on the stands, just seems all the pics & when ive seem them in the flesh are on the thin stand.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Bigboss the MA Radius are great speakers and a good price, but i would also consider the Kef 3005seif you like the egg shape.But im more interested in the the new Kef range as i believe into todays market people like to minimalise and have fewer boxes and cables everwhere. These new Kefs the T range look fab and to me look a cross between the Tannoy's and the older mission nxt prices range from £1200 to £1700 and i would think the T205's at £1500 would prove very popular. Pictures show them wall mounted and look very good next to a big Lcd or plasma, im sure you can standmount them but stands usually cost a fair bit.

http://www.kef.com/gb

heavenlydoddy:Thanks guys much appreciated, what do they look like on the wall, i know they look great on the stands, just seems all the pics & when ive seem them in the flesh are on the thin stand.

Hi heavenlydoddy

I'll also recommend Monitor Audio's Radius HD Series of speakers. We have our most of our Radius HD speakers on the wall in piano black finish and i feel they look great just as they do on their matching stands. The Radius HD speakers have class with a performance to match.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

heavenlydoddy:Thanks guys much appreciated, what do they look like on the wall, i know they look great on the stands, just seems all the pics & when ive seem them in the flesh are on the thin stand.

Check my home cinema pics. The rear R90HDs are mounted on a wall.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Another couple of suggestions would be new 'on wall' speakers from Monitor Audio and KEF.

The KEF T series use new technology like the Q series, which has filtered down from their Concept Blade loudspeakers. Detailed, lively, and very three dimensional sounding. There are three different packages.

The Monitor Audio SoundFrame models SF1 and SF2, are a little bigger on wall speakers, in the style of Artcoustic. Their new IDC dual concentric mid/treble driver works like KEF's UniQ in that treble and midrange come from a single point, helping imaging abilities. The grille itself can be had in a choice of five pastel shades, and you can also order artwork from a catalogue on Monitor Audio's website, and the 'frames' can be had in gloss black and gloss white, and can also be supplied primed so you can paint them any colour you like.

heavenlydoddy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Magic thanks again, some new options so i can go back to the boss.

Just a quick "lob in " how come the Mt 30 keeps winning all these awards when so many of us seem a little dissapointed. Is it maybe that the final purchase comes down to what the other half will except in there lounge !!!. Come on we can all be honest here !! i. Also can one of you have a look at my AV out Q, a little confused.

Thanks alot.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I never understood even based on the initial WHF review why the MT-30 was essentially touted as the only mid-range style speaker package worth considering. Glad people now seem to be demoing a bit more and deciding for themselves.

I found the MT-30 to be lacking at high frequency and in detail. Tannoy Arena was head and shoulders above it for films and music.

I also found the 3005SE very poor for music, mainly due to the sub, and less detailed. The KEF 5005s were very good, but again hampered by the sub for music.

I'm not sure about the new flat KEFs to be honest, but haven't heard them. Arcam did a good sub / sat system at one point, with a bias to music, but not sure if they still do them.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The Monitor Audio Radius R HD's are considered to be one of the best in this range. When i was looking to upgrade my Miller & Kreisel K7 system with the considered best (there are always differing opinions) i had three options from three different dealers.

The Question asked - What is the best small speaker package for max £2500....................

Dealer 1 (Audio T) - Focal Lab Sib & cub. This Dealer stocked both MA + Focal.

These are the choices now

Focal Sib & Cub 5.1

Focal Cinema Pack

Focal Dome Just coming onto the scene when i was looking.

Dealer 2 (Severn Oaks) - Monitor Audio Radius HD. This dealer stocked MA and didn't really do Focal and MK. This dealer said i had already moved past the B&W and Kef egg stage with my MK K's . You have links to these already.

Dealer 3 (Frank Harvey) - Miller & Kreisel M7 system. This dealer stocked both MA and MK. Unfortunately they don't do MK any more so no more recommendations for M&K from them i think. Always get great advise from FH.

M&K M5

You may be able to get this package in your budget if you replace the MK SB8 sub for an MK KX12 sub which according to my dealer is virtually the same performance as the MK SB12 if you can get a good price on it i think i paid just over £300 for mine but not sure if you could now maybe on ebay.

Mk Subwoofers

The MA Apex wasn't around when i was looking but i would be very surprised if the MK M's were not in Apex territory.

In the end i went with the MK's it was always going to be harder for the other choices as i already owned and loved my Mk K's but if there were better i would have got them.

Just thought i'd add some more into the mix for you LOL.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:v1c, I'm a little confused here. So, you actually chose a speaker package based on the dealers' recommendations and not demo them yourself for a direct comparison with other speakers?

I had a listen to the Focal's in the shop , i was very interested in the monitor Audio R HD as i have a pair of BR1's and was going to have a demo of them with some sunfire cinema ribbons CRM2's (a bit over my budget). When i went to FH and asked the question based on the info i told him and my listening preferences and history he reaffirmed what i already knew that the MK M's were what i was after, I didn't need to hear it to believe it. I already had a set of MK K's and loved them , so i knew i wouldn't be disappointed. I would have liked to have listened to the Radius and the Sunfire's but in the end i just didn't need to to be sure of what i wanted if MK are good enough for "20th Century Fox,Dolby Laboratories,Dreamworks,DTS,HBO Studio Productions,Lucasfilm,Paramount Studios,Sony Music,Sony Pictures,Skywalker Sound,Universal Studios,Walt Disney Pictures,Warner Bros." then in my mind they are good enough for me and i'm not in the slightest bit disappointed they sound fantastic to me.How many alternatives did you listen to ? , was MK one of them ? , I would still love a demo of the MA Radius if your offering BB ?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
heavenlydoddy:

Just a quick "lob in " how come the Mt 30 keeps winning all these awards when so many of us seem a little dissapointed.

Because for every person that's disappointed, there's someone who loves them.

The same can be said about virtually every thing you buy in life. Cars, beds, tools, food, music..... A/V and stereo equipment is no different.

v1c:
bigboss:v1c, I'm a little confused here. So, you actually chose a speaker package based on the dealers' recommendations and not demo them yourself for a direct comparison with other speakers?

I had a listen to the Focal's in the shop , i was very interested in the monitor Audio R HD as i have a pair of BR1's and was going to have a demo of them with some sunfire cinema ribbons CRM2's (a bit over my budget). When i went to FH and asked the question based on the info i told him and my listening preferences and history he reaffirmed what i already knew that the MK M's were what i was after, I didn't need to hear it to believe it. I already had a set of MK K's and loved them , so i knew i wouldn't be disappointed. I would have liked to have listened to the Radius and the Sunfire's but in the end i just didn't need to to be sure of what i wanted if MK are good enough for "20th Century Fox,Dolby Laboratories,Dreamworks,DTS,HBO Studio Productions,Lucasfilm,Paramount Studios,Sony Music,Sony Pictures,Skywalker Sound,Universal Studios,Walt Disney Pictures,Warner Bros." then in my mind they are good enough for me and i'm not in the slightest bit disappointed they sound fantastic to me.How many alternatives did you listen to ? , was MK one of them ? , I would still love a demo of the MA Radius if your offering BB ?

I wasn't impressed with the reviews of the M&K M5 speakers when I was hunting for my home cinema system, especially with their performance with music. To be honest, I never really fancied the looks of MK. I don't consider them as "style speakers". So I didn't bother to demo them. But we all have our own preferences on looks & sound. The studios you mention prefer the larger MK ones, although that doesn't mean that the smaller speakers are of the same quality. What's more important is that you're happy with your speakers.

I compared the MA Radius HD to B&W MT30, KEF 3005SE and Tannoy Arena. MA Radius HD was the best of the lot for me. I think it was the Apex AW12 subwoofer that also played a significant part in the performance.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough

"I wasn't impressed with the reviews of the M&K M5 speakers" :-What Hifi 5 star Review for MKM7.
"I never really fancied the looks of MK" :- It's not all about looks, performance matters. Not that i don't like the look of the MK's there speakers !! and a bit like people, especially me ,they look better in the flesh LOL.

"especially with their performance with music." :- you have heard them with music then ?

"I don't consider them as "style speakers" :- they are in what hifi style speaker section

"The studios you mention prefer the larger MK ones" :- MK Professional series is used by said studios according to MKSound MK M's are part of the professional series and as far as i am aware DTS signed up for an order to use the M's. I would also prefer the larger one's but i think they would be a bit big for my room LOL.

" although that doesn't mean that the smaller speakers are of the same quality" :- Not sure what you are inferring to here so i won't speculate.

"I compared the MA Radius HD to B&W MT30, KEF 3005SE and Tannoy Arena. MA Radius HD was the best of the lot for me" :- Great this confirms what i was informed by all three dealers.

Congratulations on your recent Nuptules, and your choice in speaker is superb LOL.

v1c:
"I wasn't impressed with the reviews of the M&K M5 speakers" :-What Hifi 5 star Review for MKM7.

There are other reviews if you check online. I specifically looked for the review of M5.

"I never really fancied the looks of MK" :- It's not all about looks it's, performance matters. Not that i don't like the look of the MK's there speakers !! and a bit like people, especially me ,they look better in the flesh LOL.

We all have our personal choice. I didn't like the looks of the speakers. If it was purely on performance, I would've considered the B&W 685, for exmple. But these speakers are not my cup of tea looks wise.

"especially with their performance with music." :- you have heard them with music then ?

Quote taken out of context. The reviews said that it was weaker with music. I didn't bother to demo them, because I didn't like their looks in the first place.

"I don't consider them as "style speakers" :- they are in what hifi style speaker section

I don't care what review section the speakers are in. I don't find them stylish.

"The studios you mention prefer the larger MK ones" :- MK Professional series is used by said studios according to MKSound MK M's are part of the professional series and as far as i am aware DTS signed up for an order to use the M's. I would also prefer the larger one's but i think they would be a bit big for my room LOL.

" although that doesn't mean that the smaller speakers are of the same quality" :- Not sure what you are inferring to here so i won't speculate.

The studios prefer larger speakers which doesn't necessarily mean that the smaller speakers in the range are the same. For example, I didn't like the sound of the Monitor Audio R45HD even though it belongs to the same range.

Congratulations on your recent Nuptules.

Thanks!
emotion-1.gif

At the end of the day, we all have our own preferences. That's why we have such a wide range of speakers to choose from. You prefer the MKs & I prefer the MAs.
emotion-5.gif

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
v1c:
The Monitor Audio Radius R HD's are considered to be one of the best in this range. When i was looking to upgrade my Miller & Kreisel K7 system with the considered best (there are always differing opinions) i had three options from three different dealers.

The Question asked - What is the best small speaker package for max £2500....................

Dealer 1 (Audio T) - Focal Lab Sib & cub. This Dealer stocked both MA + Focal.

These are the choices now

Focal Sib & Cub 5.1

Focal Cinema Pack

Focal Dome Just coming onto the scene when i was looking.

Dealer 2 (Severn Oaks) - Monitor Audio Radius HD. This dealer stocked MA and didn't really do Focal and MK. This dealer said i had already moved past the B&W and Kef egg stage with my MK K's . You have links to these already.

Dealer 3 (Frank Harvey) - Miller & Kreisel M7 system. This dealer stocked both MA and MK. Unfortunately they don't do MK any more so no more recommendations for M&K from them i think. Always get great advise from FH.

M&K M5

You may be able to get this package in your budget if you replace the MK SB8 sub for an MK KX12 sub which according to my dealer is virtually the same performance as the MK SB12 if you can get a good price on it i think i paid just over £300 for mine but not sure if you could now maybe on ebay.

Mk Subwoofers

The MA Apex wasn't around when i was looking but i would be very surprised if the MK M's were not in Apex territory.

In the end i went with the MK's it was always going to be harder for the other choices as i already owned and loved my Mk K's but if there were better i would have got them.

Just thought i'd add some more into the mix for you LOL.

Looks like the supplier in the MK link above is not doing MK any more. I think MK must be going elitist or bust one or the other.

Anyway i have come across this which is a fantastic offer i suspect they are not going to be doing MK for much longer either judging by the price. MK M5 . Must be clearing stock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts