Struggling to find the right amp for Q ACOUSTICS 2020I

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys very new to this but looking for some help.
Basically what I'm looking to do is invest in a pair of Q ACOUSTICS 2020I and have one in each room, connected via the attic with the amp in the attic.
Now I have searched around but cannot seem to find a suitable amp that fits my bill, I want one powerful enough to give enough to the speakers but as it will be placed in the attic I do not need nor want the features of the average receiver that I see to come across (radio networking etc) .
Everything without the features seems to be too little in power or a car amp, and everything that is high enough has unnecessary extras (plus large price difference).
Any input on this is greatly welcomed thanks!

Hi Ciaran. Not sure where to start. This is one of the more outre posts I've read in a long while. Nonetheless, it'll take it on face value.

Could you give us a little more insight as to why the amp is located in the loft and the speakers split into different rooms?

Are you looking for a receiver (amplifier and tuner in one) or an integrated amp? What are your sources, and where are they located?

And some idea on budget for an amp would be good.

(All amps come with basic features such as CD, tuner and AV/Aux inputs.)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
To give a bit more info if you youtube or google "Sonos alternative using Chromecast" this will give you the idea of what I'm trying to do but only on a larger more elaborate scale. Whereby the Chromecast and amp be in the loft and controllable via WiFi.
I wouldn't need the tuner of a receiver so would an integrated amp be of better choice / cheaper? And to save money vs buying a sonos it would need to be sub £200. Would a second hand suit better as all I really need is the amplification to power the speakers and basic input/ output.
Cheers again!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
First thing there is no such thing as 'unnecessary extras'.

You have the option to use or not use. You also never know If you'll change your mind ref some features.

For your budget you will struggle though.

A multi-zone receiver would fit the bill, which will allow separate sources to be played in separate rooms - some come with apps that allow control from a phone, tablet or pc from anywhere in the home. Provided the amp is connected to the internet. (WI-FI usually an optional extra)

The 2nd hand market may be the place to search for that budget.

Just curious - Are you buying 2pairs of speakers to run 2 zones though or are you splitting 1 pair for each room?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_577393762 said:
Thanks for the reply. To give a bit more info if you youtube or google "Sonos alternative using Chromecast" this will give you the idea of what I'm trying to do but only on a larger more elaborate scale.

Nice idea.

But using one stereo speaker in each room is not the same as using single 'stereo mixed into mono' speaker in each room. Basically one room will have the left channel and the other room will have the right channel which isn't to same as have two mono speakers.

As an example have a listen to a few Beatles songs on YouTube. The sound coming out of left speaker is often totally different to the sound coming out of the right speaker. With the setup you'll be using you'll be missing some of the audio by using just one speaker in each room.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
How do you suppose you will wire up the speakers?
Wired through the ceiling with speaker wire?

steve_1979 said:
Nice idea.

But using one stereo speaker in each room is not the same as using single 'stereo mixed into mono' speaker in each room. Basically one room will have the left channel and the other room will have the right channel which isn't to same as have two mono speakers.
That's a good point that I never even thought about, that changes the whole idea of my plan lol.

And I have looked at the idea of multizone receivers but for the price I would rather go with the simpleness of Sonos so that is why I am trying to stick to the budget, to see if I can make a sort of home made Sonos for a smaller price.
And the idea I had was to split one pair in to two rooms but as noted it would create the left and right speakers which wouldn't be suitable for two different rooms. Unless there was a work around on how to make each a separate speaker from each other?

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10470-pioneer-a30-amplifier.aspx

in budget and allows you to connect two pairs of speakers so you can have left + right channels in both rooms?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Most receivers have a mono setting .

Try looking at old receivers from the 00's.

They do not have internet function so will have no apps to control them.

The Yamaha Dsp ax-620 is a very good sounding amp (I still use one) driving a pair of Mission 782's - for the sound I'm getting I cannot justify upgrading any part of this system as I'll only achieve different.

2pairs of front speakers, TT stage, no radio as a stereo amp it's superb.

Will set you back about 50quid, if that in today's money.

Or look at other options in that age range.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
the thing with proper hifi amps is you'll find they are quoted has having much less power than some "boombox" style hifis. In fact this is not the case, most mid range amps will be 40-90 watts which is more than enough to drive pretty much any speakers.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all, one more thing, what amount of watts or RMS in total or per channel am I to look for, for it to be sufficient for the q acoustics 2020i?
They are 75w 8 ohm speakers so would 60 watt per channel be sufficient to power or would they be significantly underpowered then?
Is something such as this sufficient.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121448771793?nav=SEARCH
I know it is only 40w per channel but at 8ohms is that enough? Or should I be aiming for double that?
Cheers

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
stavvy said:
the thing with proper hifi amps is you'll find they are quoted has having much less power than some "boombox" style hifis. In fact this is not the case, most mid range amps will be 40-90 watts which is more than enough to drive pretty much any speakers.
So an old technics SUV-55A with 60w per channel will be more than ample?

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i would imagine so. the only real way to tell though is to arrange a demo with your nearest hifi store. give them a call, take along your amp and connect it up to the 2020i's and see if you like the sound. I can't speak from experience but from what i've read before hand they're not the most demanding of speakers so shouldn't need much power.

where were you thinking of purchasing the speakers?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to get this straight, you plan to use a Chromecast box of some sort that you can control on your network....

Is that correct? If so you will be controlling your music, volume etc on a computerand streaming from the box in the attic, do I have that right?

If I do then the answer is simple, a pair of small powered or active speakers in each room. You will have some degree of local control so that you can set the volume to suit each room and turn them on and off as required. Choose wisely and you can get great sound in both rooms for about £300, less if your budget is really tight.

Remember this includes amplifiers and speakers, stunning value.

Where are you based and where will you be shopping?

davedotco said:
I am trying to get this straight, you plan to use a Chromecast box of some sort that you can control on your network....

Is that correct? If so you will be controlling your music, volume etc on a computerand streaming from the box in the attic, do I have that right?

If I do then the answer is simple, a pair of small powered or active speakers in each room. You will have some degree of local control so that you can set the volume to suit each room and turn them on and off as required. Choose wisely and you can get great sound in both rooms for about £300, less if your budget is really tight.

Remember this includes amplifiers and speakers, stunning value.

Where are you based and where will you be shopping?

Haha. When I first read the OP's opening gambit actives spung to mind, but didn't want to show any bias of course. *smile*

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Cheers, I'm based in northern Ireland, County Down but will be purchasing online. Anywhere that I can get a good deal basically.
Yes the Chromecast does the streaming, put through a hdmi to rca conversion and my phone or computer is the controller.
So would the active speakers give as good of sound quality, and how are the active speakers to be connected to the one source?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_577393762 said:
Cheers, I'm based in northern Ireland, County Down but will be purchasing online. Anywhere that I can get a good deal basically. Yes the Chromecast does the streaming, put through a hdmi to rca conversion and my phone or computer is the controller. So would the active speakers give as good of sound quality, and how are the active speakers to be connected to the one source?

At this kind of price point they make a lot of sense. If I am reading this right you are looking at £160+ for the 2020i and about £200 for an amplifier and of course that is for just one pair of speakers.

I am thinking of something like these,

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitors/studiospares-seiwin-5a-pair-powered-monitors/invt/248040?source=215_74&gclid=CO-txa-Ch8ECFSTMtAodVzEATg

Just £250 for two pairs of speakers, each one a stand alone active design with 60 + 30 watts per speaker. Sure they are very utilitarian in their looks but if it is the performance/price ratio that is important that may be acceptable.

There are dozens of alternatives, just take a look through the Studiospares site at models like the Fostex which are rather prettier, though more expensive. Be aware though, some models are priced each, some as a pair, be careful.

I use a pair of their smaller 'cousins', the Seiwin SN4 as desktop speakers, superb for the money.

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I read this and it is an intersting way to do multi room.

Another option would be to use an AV amp such as a Yam rx v 673 (or similar).

There are a couple of advantages:

HDMI is standard so no need for a HDMI to audio break out box

The 2 zones can be controlled independantly (with seperate volume, or source if you wished). You could use multiple chrome casts?

If you wanted to extend further you could use the zone 1 rear channels to play the same as the zone 1 fronts (using the 7 channel stereo option). You may have to balance the volumes manually through the setup, but that is more than possible.

On top of this you would get Internet radio, DLNA streaming, oprions for other audio and video sources.

Maybe this particular model is overkill (in terms of features) and maybe a lower cost multizone reciever will do, but it is what i have and it is how I would set it up if I was after reproducing what you were after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts