Streaming options

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

im sure there’s previous threads on this in which case please link me to them so not needlessly duplicated...

I’ve got Arcam A29, DV79, MA RS6. Listen to CDs, but also stream a lot of Spotify premium 360kbs ‘extreme’ mode to my rBlink. Probably 80% of the time I stream.

The rBlink is excellent. However... I’ve been reading up and seriously wondering about getting a bluesound node dedicated for the purpose.

The node reviews excellently - has anyone experience of hi-end BT vs direct streaming?

Cheers folks.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a bluesound powernode gen1, as well as the yamaha wxc-50. I stream to both via bluetooth, and both sound very good. Since the yamaha is placed in a better setup, I feel bluetooth streaming sounds superior on that. But that could just be becuase of the superior amp and external DAC in the loop.

So, the biggest difference to me between the bluesound node 2 & the yamaha wxc-50 will be tidal MQA streaming. The bluesound has this at the moment, and the yamaha doesnt. So unless this is important to you, you can easily go for the yamaha and save some money in the bargain. All the best :)

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
A year or so ago, I moved from my Logitech Squeeze Box Duet to Bluesound Node 2. The main reason being unreliable indexing of the tracks, artists or albums by Logitech software. I had a number of "unknown artist" or "unknown album" files and that was really annoying. Since the sound of the Squeezebox was fairly decent, I did not expect much change in that area. When my Node arrived, two things bacame apparent: the sound was far superior to what I was used to and all the background operations (indexing, song/album selection..) was much faster and almost always 100% accurate. Just for fun I connected my Oppo using optical out to the Node and the sound improvement was quite sigtnificant. The BT sound is fairly decent and it is based on aptx codec, if I remember correctly. I am not big on phone or tablet, so most of my listening is through the USB flash drive connected directly to the player. My main library is stored on the USB HDD connected to my desktop. You can also connect a USB HD to the USB port of the player since it is powerful enough for that purpose.

After a year of enjoying the Node 2, I decided to go for a single box solution and ordered a Powernode 2. The Powernode replaced a highly regarded 2X50W amplifier which I would characterize as impotent. The amp will remain anonymous since my flame suit has been sent for dry cleaning. That amp was supposed to be highly musical, engaing and all that... The only problem was that it could not play the lower end of my Aria 905 properly. The Powernode is doing that with apparent ease and clarity with the same degree of musicality and engagement.

I read a couple of complaints that Bluesound is having a constant updates but they are simple and quick to do and they usually offer better management of your library and other functionality.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
ivavcr said:
After a year of enjoying the Node 2, I decided to go for a single box solution and ordered a Powernode 2. The Powernode replaced a highly regarded 2X50W amplifier which I would characterize as impotent. The amp will remain anonymous since my flame suit has been sent for dry cleaning. That amp was supposed to be highly musical, engaing and all that... The only problem was that it could not play the lower end of my Aria 905 properly. The Powernode is doing that with apparent ease and clarity with the same degree of musicality and engagement.

I read a couple of complaints that Bluesound is having a constant updates but they are simple and quick to do and they usually offer better management of your library and other functionality.

I have always been interested in the Powernode 2. But info on this unit is so scarce on the interwebs. Hardly any reviews, quility of the DAC, technical info, etc. Also the lack of multiple inputs it whats keeping me from further looking into it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The powernode is a good all in one unit, similar to the denon micro hifi's. And would have recommended same, had you been using high sensitivity speakers. But compared to a pairing of the arcam 29 + MA RS6, the powernode would be a backwards step. Thus, a blesound node 2 will serve your situation better.

The bluesound powernode for all its merits, cant extract the best from your speakers. So, best to pair a streamer going into the arcam. All the best.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I have a bluesound powernode gen1, as well as the yamaha wxc-50. I stream to both via bluetooth, and both sound very good. Since the yamaha is placed in a better setup, I feel bluetooth streaming sounds superior on that. But that could just be becuase of the superior amp and external DAC in the loop.

So, the biggest difference to me between the bluesound node 2 & the yamaha wxc-50 will be tidal MQA streaming. The bluesound has this at the moment, and the yamaha doesnt. So unless this is important to you, you can easily go for the yamaha and save some money in the bargain. All the best :)
The Yamaha WXC-50 does have TIDAL you need to downloaded the music cast app to see it this way you can control anything to do with the Yamaha WXC-50 including updating the WXC-50. .

I’ve just connected mine back into my setup because the AVs music cast is not has good quality sound wise and I use my CD players onboard Dac which is better then the Yamaha WXC-50 Dac .

Bluesound use a fairly high spec processor, which translates to faster processing which has already alluded to earlier. Streamers may stream the same services, but the speed at which some of these processors work can vary, as will the sound quality based on the DAC used.

iMark

Streaming via Bluetooth is not the best option. Bluetooth uses lossy standards. I don't see the point in buying expensive streamers for bluetooth.

I have tried both Bluetooth and AirPlay streaming with our Yamaha R-N602. AirPlay offers far superior sound to Bluetooth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts