Streaming issue with wired Apple TV3

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Hi, I stream my iTunes music from my iMac in the study to my Hi Fi in the sitting room. I tried doing this wirelessly using Airport Express, but due to the thick walls in the house the stream suffered very frequent dropouts. To rectify this I invested in Devolo Homeplugs and Ethernet connections, turned Airport Express WiFi off and turned Airport off on the iMac. Toslink connection to DAC. Brilliant. So as to be able to view my iPhoto library on my Samsung TV I decided to get an ATV3, thinking I could use it in place of the Airport Express for the music. Problem: even though connected by Ethernet the ATV does not appear in iTunes if AirPlay is turned off. If I turn the ATV's AirPlay on, still with Ethernet connection, I get frequent dropouts of the stream. Any suggestions?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
Hi, I stream my iTunes music from my iMac in the study to my Hi Fi in the sitting room. I tried doing this wirelessly using Airport Express, but due to the thick walls in the house the stream suffered very frequent dropouts. To rectify this I invested in Devolo Homeplugs and Ethernet connections, turned Airport Express WiFi off and turned Airport off on the iMac. Toslink connection to DAC. Brilliant. So as to be able to view my iPhoto library on my Samsung TV I decided to get an ATV3, thinking I could use it in place of the Airport Express for the music. Problem: even though connected by Ethernet the ATV does not appear in iTunes if AirPlay is turned off. If I turn the ATV's AirPlay on, still with Ethernet connection, I get frequent dropouts of the stream. Any suggestions?

ATV3s have issues with their optical port. Apple told me it was unlikely to get sorted before a replacement model is launched which was an exremely frank answer I got from their TS in Ireland. I found this all out when I tried replacing my ATV2 with the 3rd gen model to get 1080p into my TV - audio drop-outs - the same with a replacement. The other possible solution is only use the ATV3 for photos via HDMI into your Samsung. If your TV has optical out - you will find the ATV3's audio will work - it did with my Panasonic.

However, I'm not sure what I've stated above is the issue. Are you saying the ATV3 works OK if Airplay is switched off?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site

ATV3s have issues with their optical port. Apple told me it was unlikely to get sorted before a replacement model is launched which was an exremely frank answer I got from their TS in Ireland. I found this all out when I tried replacing my ATV2 with the 3rd gen model to get 1080p into my TV - audio drop-outs - the same with a replacement. The other possible solution is only use the ATV3 for photos via HDMI into your Samsung. If your TV has optical out - you will find the ATV3's audio will work - it did with my Panasonic.

However, I'm not sure what I've stated above is the issue. Are you saying the ATV3 works OK if Airplay is switched off?

[/quote]

Shocking they should sell it if this is the case, but it sounds like the problem. ATV is great for photos on the TV, but that is the secondary reason for purchase. Are you suggesting that if I send the audio to the ATV and then route it via HDMI to the TV and optical from the TV to the Arcam rDAC it will work? If so will it be without degradation?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
busb said:

Shocking they should sell it if this is the case, but it sounds like the problem. ATV is great for photos on the TV, but that is the secondary reason for purchase. Are you suggesting that if I send the audio to the ATV and then route it via HDMI to the TV and optical from the TV to the Arcam rDAC it will work? If so will it be without degradation?

Not everyone is having optical out issues as Juzzie Wuzzi points out but we have with the ATV3. I can compare the optical output from either my TV or ATV2 directly with the press of a button on my DAC's remote. The output from the ATV2 is 0.5m optical into the DAC or through a 3m HDMI into my TV then back out along a 3m optical cable into the other optical input of my DAC. The difference is tiny enough for me to not always remember to switch back to the ATV's optical out when listening to music streamed from iTunes. My DAC reads the same bit rate & depth for either route. Put another make of TV into the equation: who knows! Your audio problem would probably be solved by using an ATV2.

I'd guess that most ATV users use the HDMI output only. The fact that Apple acknowledge the issue but are unwilling to sort it out may mean the number of complaints is low &/or another model is going to be launched anyway.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I have just spoken with Apple Tech Support, and this guy didn't acknowledge that there is a problem with the ATV3. There is one difference between my AEx setup and ATV3 setup and that is the optical cable. With the AEx it's mini jack to toslink, with the ATV3 it's a double ended toslink. I need to buy and try a new cable, before I can be certain that the ATV3 is the problem.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
I have just spoken with Apple Tech Support, and this guy didn't acknowledge that there is a problem with the ATV3. There is one difference between my AEx setup and ATV3 setup and that is the optical cable. With the AEx it's mini jack to toslink, with the ATV3 it's a double ended toslink. I need to buy and try a new cable, before I can be certain that the ATV3 is the problem.

I eventually got put through to Apple's ATV expert who's name was Michael & the case number was 323326289. I took back the 2nd ATV3 to the Apple Shop for a refund rather than replacement. I borrowed another better quality optical cable beforehand - no difference. My ATV2 works perfectly. I'd say that a better quality optical cable ain't going to help.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site

I eventually got put through to Apple's ATV expert who's name was Michael & the case number was 323326289. I took back the 2nd ATV3 to the Apple Shop for a refund rather than replacement. I borrowed another better quality optical cable beforehand - no difference. My ATV2 works perfectly. I'd say that a better quality optical cable ain't going to help.

[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I spoke to Paulo Costa. Case ID 335252392. If I have to call him back I'll reference your Case ID.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site

I'd say that a better quality optical cable ain't going to help.

[/quote]

How right you are. I purchased a new toslink cable today and it has made no difference. I am now listening through the TV set (ATV to TV by HDMI, TV to Arcam rDAC by toslink and it isn't dropping out at all. Conclusive proof that the ATV's optical out is at fault.

I'll be on the phone to Apple again tomorrow. In the meantime, can anybody tell me whether the sound quality should be compromised or not by this round about route?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
busb said:

How right you are. I purchased a new toslink cable today and it has made no difference. I am now listening through the TV set (ATV to TV by HDMI, TV to Arcam rDAC by toslink and it isn't dropping out at all. Conclusive proof that the ATV's optical out is at fault.

I'll be on the phone to Apple again tomorrow. In the meantime, can anybody tell me whether the sound quality should be compromised or not by this round about route?

If you contact TS again, feel free to quote my case number. If you speak with Michael, it maybe worth asking if the problem applies to all ATV3s or just a batch. As for whether or not feeding the audio to your TV via HDMI then back out through your TV's optical will degrade or not is probably be for you to discover - it will depend on your TV.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
busb said:
ifor said:
busb said:

If you contact TS again, feel free to quote my case number. If you speak with Michael, it maybe worth asking if the problem applies to all ATV3s or just a batch. As for whether or not feeding the audio to your TV via HDMI then back out through your TV's optical will degrade or not is probably be for you to discover - it will depend on your TV.

This time I spoke to Peter and I quoted your case number. He will now "escalate" the case. He seemed to be genuinely unaware of a problem. Apparently I should expect to hear back from him in a couple days (Monday).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts