Streaming HD Movies

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm keen to digitise my media and use my home network to stream content to appropriate devices. I'm already using a Sonos set-up successfully to stream music and now I'm interested in doing the same with TV and movie content - but mainly HD movies.

Having now done some research however I'm not sure if its possible to stream full 1080p HD content from computer to my TV yet. I've checked the service provided by LoveFilm and Apple TV but neither provide the full HD quality I'm looking for.

Is it the case a service like this is just not out there yet?

The only alternative I can think of is buying a new Blu-Ray player (which I'm happy to do) and connect to my home network and stream contentI that way. Is this possible and if yes, where to you access "movies on demand" content?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you want to play HD movies (Blu-rays that u've ripped - I imagine) then u need a mediaplayer like a playon!hd, wdlive, popcorn hour etc. To watch Full-HD you will need a wired connection.

If you also want to access "on demand" as well - then something like the acryan Fluxx due out shortly might be just the ticket.

I have my blu-rays and dvds ripped onto a NAS, and stream them to my tv/amp using the playon!hd mini2

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Though it's worth pointing out that ripping DVDs and Blu-rays - even if you own them - is currently illegal in the UK
emotion-40.gif

Going back to the OP - there's no current UK movies-on-demand service that matches Blu-ray for quality (1080p picture or HD audio). There's some 1080p content you can stream from YouTube, but I don't imagine that's what you were after...

Again, all this is different (including the legality of ripping your own discs) elsewhere....

A

Anonymous

Thanks. It would be mainly be on demand movies. Someone else mentioned the Acryan Fluxx...I'll check it out...but are there any companies out there offering full HD movies to buy or rent and can be streamed to your computer?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Claire. You've just answered the fundamental question: There currently is no on-demand-service to rent or buy full HD movies yet

Out of interest why do you think this is? Is to do with broadband speed - I thought the UK had one of the fastest broadband speeds in the world, or are there other issues that go beyond just the technology?

A

Anonymous

Its still illegal to rip cds as well is it not?

You can get hd movies on demand via Virgin Media (only standard 5.1 sound though i believe)..and not that many to choose from yet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
TechMad:
Its still illegal to rip cds as well is it not?

Technically yes, but the IFPI, which represents the recording industry, is on record as saying it wouldn't take action against individuals making copies of their own CDs for their own use.

But DVDs and Blu-rays is a different matter, as you're breaking additional laws by circumventing the copy protection on the discs to rip them.

The US has recently seen sense with this and does allow back-ups of DVD and Blu-rays for personal use; here's hoping we follow suit in the UK.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Music.Man:I thought the UK had one of the SLOWest broadband speeds in the world, or are there other issues that go beyond just the technology?

I FIXED YOUR POST FOR YOU!!! HTH HAND!!1!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed. UK is positively Stone Age for (actual) broadband speeds compared to many other countries. Some interesting figures here from the latest OFCOM report on the issue, published just before Christmas.

The availability of super-fast broadband is particularly pertinent when you're talking about streaming HD video content....

A

Anonymous

Okay, so what you're saying is broadband speed in the UK is NOT fast....but it's faster than in the US....I know because I work for a US organisation.

A

Anonymous

I used Sony's Qriocity service the other night to watch the A-Team, via my BDS570. I have a upto 30Mbps service from virgin (averaging at about 23 Mbps) and had no problem streaming it's 1280x720 HD film, with 5.1 PCM audio. The picture was very good and the audio seemed to have enough punch. Not full HD but good quality.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Music.Man:Okay, so what you're saying is broadband speed in the UK is NOT fast....but it's faster than in the US....I know because I work for a US organisation.

Well that US company is not representative of US consumer experience - where typically households can get double the average speed of UK ones. Hence there being plenty of Blu-ray quality streaming available in US!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts