Streaming Devices to add to Roksan Caspian.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick question regarding streaming devices........

Not being able to sell the Roksan Caspian Pre / Power Amplifier for what I think it's worth...I have decided to hold on to these for the time being and will just be selling the Caspian CD Player.

I want to replace the CD Player with a streaming device....that will connect to the Pre/Power Amp and will allow me to stream iTunes / Radio and Spotify from my laptop.

I also assume I would be looking at having to add a DAC between the laptop and pre amp to obtain best sound.

Can anybody recommend a decent streamer (new or second hand) that will meet this criteria?

Cheers :cheers:

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would wait for just a little bit longer.....Leema Acoustics are due to release their Elements Streamer soon, which will have their Quattro Infinity DAC in it which should perform exceptionally well, having listened to their Antila CD Players with similar DACs. This I believe should also be complimented with an Asynchronous and Adaptive USB input for the best laptop connection. If it doesn't then a 99 pound V-Link will do the job nicely.

Regards

Phil

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If you just want to dip a toe in the water without committing to large outlay initially, you could do a lot worse than have a look at Logitech's Squeezebox Touch. With their server software installed on the laptop, there's no need for any USB interface as it streams directly across the network, be that WiFi or ethernet.

Start off with analogue & then maybe try an external DAC. But the DAC built into the Touch is quite decent.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sonos ZP90 and control it via the free iphone or android app.

If you cant run an ethernet cable to your ZP90/Hi-Fi you would also need a BR100 plugged into your router to create the Sonos mesh network.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
So the CD Player has definately gone and I am therefore looking to move on the change of system. If I sell the Power and Pre Amplifier in the next few days...then I will be purchasing the Marantz MC-R603 and building a streaming system around this. However if the amps dont sell I have decided to keep these and use them as part of a Sonos based streaming system.

Just looking for some clarification on how this will work together...

My understanding is the Sonos Bridge will connect to my wireless router via an ethernet cable and the Sonos ZP90 will connect into my pre-amplifier via RCA. I can control these with either an Android or iPhone app that will give me access to Spotify Premium and god knows how many radio stations amongst other things.

How would I access my music on itunes? would this have to be controlled via the laptop and therefore require the laptop to be switched on at all times? Would a better bet be to add an external hard drive with the Apple Lossless files on it to the ZP90 directly (Can this be done....and if so does this mean that the android / Iphone app would then read the hard drive?)

I also take it that in the future I could add a DAC between the ZP90 and Pre amplifier to improve the sound of music.

I like the idea of the Sonos system because it means I can add either an S3 or S5 speaker for another room.....i.e. lounge or bedroom or even outside in the garden.

Look forward to the advice.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Just looking for some clarification on how this will work together...

My understanding is the Sonos Bridge will connect to my wireless router via an ethernet cable and the Sonos ZP90 will connect into my pre-amplifier via RCA. I can control these with either an Android or iPhone app that will give me access to Spotify Premium and god knows how many radio stations amongst other things.
That is correct.

Jason36 said:
How would I access my music on itunes? would this have to be controlled via the laptop and therefore require the laptop to be switched on at all times?
If your music is on your laptop it would have to be on all the time

Jason36 said:
Would a better bet be to add an external hard drive with the Apple Lossless files on it to the ZP90 directly (Can this be done....and if so does this mean that the android / Iphone app would then read the hard drive?)
The best solution IMO is to get a NAS and connect it to your router. the ZP90 will then pull the music straight off it. The iPhone/android app connects to your wireless network and controls the ZP90, it gets all its info from it playlists, artist etc it is purely a controller.

Jason36 said:
I also take it that in the future I could add a DAC between the ZP90 and Pre amplifier to improve the sound of music.
yes

Jason36 said:
I like the idea of the Sonos system because it means I can add either an S3 or S5 speaker for another room.....i.e. lounge or bedroom or even outside in the garden.
Ideal for when you need a bit of Luther Vandross in the love sack :)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there jason, another idea could be the Chordette by Chord. this works via a bluetooth adaptor from your computer, but the best feature is that it can send lossless audio. rather than sending music over a wavey bluetooth signal the Chordette manages to send bluetooth in a straight line meaning you can send high Quality audio files such as FLAC without any loss of quality at all, meaning a dac wouldnt be nessacery

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers AudiAffair,

Thanks for the recommendation, however I think that the Sonos actually offers more functionality... especially seeing as I don't really want to have my laptop turned on all the time. Therefore I like the idea of the Sonos Bridge and ZP90 with a NAS attached and controlled via Android / iPhone / iPad

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts