Streaming and sound quality vs direct plug in

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Everything I read reckons digital sound is digital sound and its the final conversion to analog makes the difference in the end. Rubbish in equals rubbish out etc.

I have been using spotify through my chromecast a lot and am quite happy taking into account limitations of the source etc, but the sound drops regularly and I am turning bits on and off to get it going again. Last night I plugged my laptop directly into my dac and listened to |Spotify this way. The sound was better than my normal chromecast way (I have the optical out of chromecast into same DAC when it is in use).

Is there something I am missing, should it not matter (stability excluded) and sound the same either method. Thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
This is one of those topics that is up there with cable threads. Theoretically there should be no difference, or minimal difference (maybe differences in jitter levels, but then there are also arguments about whether or not that is audible), but many people hear differences (what Hi Fi reviews almost consistently say a wired connection sounds better).

So then we can move on to arguments about whether or not double blind testing would reveal audible differences, but people generally can't be bothered doing that and there are further arguments about whether double blind testing is valid or effective in for hi fi, and specious arguments about the fact that one doesn't listen to one's own hi fi blind...

Anyway, just go with whatever gives yourself the most peace of mind until you feel assured that you have the optimal setup practical for your needs, then relax and enjoy the music :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I didn't realise this was one of "THOSE" subjects :) .

I'll be plugging in when possible, but there are times when convenience overcomes the need for downright performance

insider9

That's certainly strange and with DAC in the middle I guess there shouldn't be any difference in the output as long as the input is the same.

By saying that I would just double check wheter Spotify setting on both your laptop and phone are set to highest possible quality. I don't think it's done by default and that would go a long way explaining why you can hear the difference. It would be High Quality streaming option that you're likely to have ticked on your laptop. Stranglely enough (at least on Androind) the same is called Extreme Quality (under Music Quality > Streaming) where High Quality preset is also available.

EDIT
Another reason I can think of is that your DAC "favours" usb input over toslink and processing is done differently.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Potentially there are a couple of factors at play before the signal even reaches your DAC.

One has been identified already: the setting of Spotify itself. The other is the Chromecast. Are you using this wirelessly or via the optional ethernet adaptor with a wired connection?

Does the Chromecast place emphasis on a dropout-free stream at the expense of the bitrate? Does it adjust the bitrate depending on the changeable abilities of your wifi?

Different subject but it is noticeable when I use BBC iPlayer through my Roku (with every HD setting ticked, in the Roku and on the BBC app) that the streaming quality is noticeably poorer then when I used to have BBC through my Virgin Media set-top box. Same signal coming down the same Virgin Media cable, different results.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
That's certainly strange and with DAC in the middle I guess there shouldn't be any difference in the output as long as the input is the same.

By saying that I would just double check wheter Spotify setting on both your laptop and phone are set to highest possible quality. I don't think it's done by default and that would go a long way explaining why you can hear the difference. It would be High Quality streaming option that you're likely to have ticked on your laptop. Stranglely enough (at least on Androind) the same is called Extreme Quality (under Music Quality > Streaming) where High Quality preset is also available.

EDIT Another reason I can think of is that your DAC "favours" usb input over toslink and processing is done differently.
A quick Google shows me that the USB connection is asynchronous, so in theory that should eliminate or reduce jitter and therefore sound better, so that might be one factor.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Ya, not sure why. Spotify sounded better than streamed flac files through BubleUpnP using my phone as the middle man also. This was more of a fuller sound with increased volume while direct.

As for the Chromecast, it is not wired, its a wifi connection.

Anyway, it is what it is, as said possibly the optical on the Dac or indeed the way the chromecast acts when signal is not great (and my wifi is questionable at the best of times)

Maybe it's because the radio alarm I use upstairs has the standard power chord ;) :) :) :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
muljao said:
As for the Chromecast, it is not wired, its a wifi connection.

You can buy an adaptor providing a direct ethernet cable connection with your router, providing your router is close enough of course. But it should reduce the propensity of drop-outs and could potentially increase quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts