Streaming Advice

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I currently have a A-s701 Yamaha amp. I am very happy with my setup sound quality from vinyl and CDs , but streaming music is really lacking - sounds flat, muddled, and dull.

I stream from my IPad with a dragonfly red DAC connected to the analog inputs on the amp. I have looked at dedicated streamers with built in DACs as well as better table top DACs - I bought the dragonfly mostly for my outside music setup.

When looking at streamers and table top DACs I really do not know what to look for. Prices are all over the place from low $100s USD to a couple of thousand USD. Any advice would be appreciated. Would really like to improve the streaming sound quality of my setup.

jjbomber

I'd try sending a digital signal from the ipad and using the DAC that is built into the Yamaha amp. You may not need an external DAC at all.

Secondly, what is the CD player? You are happy with that sound. If you connect it digitally via coaxial or optical, then you already use the Yamaha DAC and like the sound. If you send an analogue signal from the CD player, find out what DAC is used internally with the CD player and buy a similar one.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Yes, happy with the amp DAC - I connect the CD via coaxial input on the amp.

I don't think I can connect the ipad digitally. There is coax and optical input, the rest are analog. Right now I use the camera adapter and plug the dragonfly into the USB. I don't know of a USB/optical or coaxial connection option. The amp does not have a usb connection.

jjbomber

Is this a good option? Can pick one up at a discounted price since it is several years old

Marantz HD-DAC1
That is certainly one way. You can use the camera adaptor to get a digital USB output. The USB to Marantz USB. If you pick it up cheap you can easily sell it on at the same price if you don't like it. That would be my preferred method.

Another option is the Behringer UCA222 or the UCA202 that it has replaced. The only thing that seems to have changed is the colour. Again, that is a USB converter from the camera adaptor to an optical input on the Yamaha.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Arrived today. Sounds great!! I do have one issue outlined below.

My iphone connected via the usb 3.0 camera lightning works great streaming music. My ipad, on the other hand when connected the same way, returns "device requires too much power". If I plug the Arcam into a usb multi hub connector and then into the 3.0 camera lightning dongle everything works. Anyone have thoughts on this? Strange that works for iphone and not for ipad.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Here is an update.

Overall, excellent dac. Arcam discontinued it about a year ago so you kind find a great deal.

Apple limited power output of adapters from 100mA to 20mA through a software update. Easy work around is to connect through an unpowered usb hub to trick the Ipad into thinking it is connected to something different. Works like a charm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts