Streamer with Coaxial Digital Output

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I am looking to buy a Streamer to use with my Synology Diskstation, I have a Cyrus XP, and both the optical inputs are used so need a streamer with a digital SPDIF Output and also I would think there maybe a sound advantage to the coaxial connection.

I have done some reaserch and the only options I can see are a squeezebox or sonos connect... Does anyone know if any more are due to come out soon? Seems such a lack on the market with coaxial out. Is sonos connect really worth £280? I can pick up a new Squeezebox duet for £100.

My hesitancy to just buy the duet is all my music is apple lossless so I guess the transcoding to flac will have some effect on the sound, I can afford the sonos but I can't understand why its so expensive just for a box. I'm not interested in internet radio, spotify or any of that just want to listen to my music in good quality but can't stretch to a cyrus streamer

cheers, Rob

Speaking as an owner who has recently acquired a used Squeezebox Touch, I do think it is a very high quality product and rather overlooked. Unsurprising now, perhaps, as it was discontinued late last year, though there were a few rave reviews in 2010 and 2011, particularly in the US.

I found it works very well, out of the box, assuming you have a wireless network at home. There are some issues about connecting a NAS device, but no more than any product it seems. The key one is not to connect a USB powered device direct. I can hear no difference between ALAC and FLAC, via USB pen or wireless (I use MacBook and iTunes).

Although they were regularly priced 'new' at under £200 last year, sometimes even down to £150-ish, it is now next to impossible to get one cheaper than £200 on eBay, unless it has missing bits or is scratched. I reckon it is well worth its original RRP of £259.

There are a couple of lively forums too, if you are interested, and quite a few users here. And it is also tweakable, if that appeals. This was the best WHF thread I reckon, though there are several others:-

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/squeezebox-touch-dumbed-down-by-hifi-dealers

TRENDING THREADS