Streamer prices going downstream?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

StanleyB said:
But the true discerning audiophile is more into audio reproduction quality than fast changing technology.

[/quote

I'd agree and audiophiles are more likely to gravitate towards the quality end of the spectrum and it's related higher prices, but streaming is heading mass market.

The same thing has happened to DACs - which used to be an expensive option - high quality DACs still command high prices but the technology is now mainstream and there are plenty of low costs DACs that do the job good enough for most users.

A

Anonymous

StanleyB said:
But the true discerning audiophile is more into audio reproduction quality than fast changing technology.

[/quote

I'd agree and audiophiles are more likely to gravitate towards the quality end of the spectrum and it's related higher prices, but streaming is heading mass market.

The same thing has happened to DACs - which used to be an expensive option - high quality DACs still command high prices but the technology is now mainstream and there are plenty of low costs DACs that do the job good enough for most users.

A

Anonymous

StanleyB said:

[/quote

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
tino said:
I've noticed some dramatic price drops in streamer / network prices recently ... for example the Yamaha NPS2000 MRP used to be £1450 and could be had until recently for about £600. And now I have seen the Cyrus Streamline for £999 and that used to be £1600 a short while back.

These are quite new in the market and fairly high quality items .. so what's driving the change ... are mid-range steamers finding it difficult in the market place against more mass market opposition and PC/DAC combos? Were they overpriced originally for what they offer and do they represent good value in terms of quality / £ at these reduced prices?

Most of these price slashes are mainly from the big chains. Looking at this from a pure business situation, it's about supply and demand. If these chains - stock a huge variety of products - find that a certain format or brand isn't moving as quickly as hoped, they will sacrifice some of their profit margins to increase turnover. If you ain't got a turnover, you won't make any money.

A similar situation happened back in 2007 when I purchased my first pair of RS6s: SS&V had a 25% discount off all brand new speakers. Around the same time, if memory serves me well, Audio-T had a similar promotion with Arcam and B&W and other selected items.

Some of the price reductions that I am seeing are across different retailers big and small ... not sure if they represent a systematic erosion in the RRP of such devices or if they just are flash in the pan Jubilee or Bank holiday special sales.

From some anecdotal evidence I think that a lot of people don't see the value in these mid range streamers when they see other devices essentially fulfilling a similar function at much lower prices. Would be purchasers probably sees the word "digital" and "music player" and expect a streamer to be as cheap as chips irrespective of the clever firmware/software, high quality analogue electronics, materials + build quality of devices like the NPS2000 and Streamline I mentioned above. Yet the same people will happily spend £1000's on some wooden boxes with some holes and a couple of paper cones and magnets :O

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
So many of these 'hi end' products still can't do gapless or multi-zone. A price premium looks a bit sick when Squeezebox functionality is miles ahead and there's plenty of debate about any difference in SQ.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I only mentioned Naim as the Uniti was the only thing I had seriously considered before picking Sonos.

However, if I walked into a shop and saw the Uniti and the Marantz 603 at the same price I fear I'd go for the Marantz. One of the few of this type that seems to offer value.

I don't need one, but I still want one.

T

the record spot

Which was why I went for the Onkyo. Already had a very good CDP, the now replaced Marantz SA7001-KI and didn't need another one. I never really got on with the 603's styling, or its limited power while the Onkyo delivered ample power, heaps of connectivity, an onboard DAC with four digital inout connections and Spotify. What's not to like. Streaming functionality is perfect for my needs and the gapless, thing, well, it's no biggie for me. Anything that I listen to I mostly have on CD, so classical, etc., is taken care of.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Compared to some hi fi, there seems to be the occasional real bargain to be had. The Onkyo is definitely one of them,,tbh I'd forgotten about it when I posted. The SBT is the other.

TRENDING THREADS