Question Streamer or DAC to upgrade my system (Rotel A11 + BR03)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hi, I am thinking of adding a streamer or DAC + streamer to my system as my main source is digital.
I have a Rotel A11 tribute which has no digital connections and I am currently using the Bluetooth APT-X with TIDAL from my phone, which I know is a shame. Changing the Rotel is not an option right now so I have started reading and watching some videos about DACs and streamers.

Buying a Bluesound NODE was my first option looking to the future when I bought my system, not so long ago (Borea BR03 + Rotel A11 tribute). I have tried this with my setup and works fine. However, after some research, I understand that the DAC is the brain of my system, and as I am currently using a digital source to reproduce music and this has a big impact on the audio quality of my system. I am now interested in purchasing a dedicated DAC but I have some doubts:

1- Is there another great streamer in the same price range as the NODE that can match my sound system? (I don't mind increasing the budget a bit if there's an improvement on SQ)
2-If I get a dedicated DAC, such as the DAC Magic 200M, do I still have to buy a streamer? Does the streamer also affect the audio quality?
3- CHORD Qutest would be my best choice based on the reviews and sound profile but is out of my budget and it wouldn't make sense on my starter sound system. I would rather expend that money on better speakers, but I'm happy with the BR03s for now. What are your thoughts about the Denafrips Ares II, Cambridge CNX V2, Cambridge AXN10, RME ADI-2, Eversolo DMP-A6, Topping D90?

Things that really matter to me in order of importance:
-Budget under 1000 euros.
-Soundstage,
-instrumental separation,
-Balanced sound,
-Rhythm and dynamics,
-Musicality,
-NO flat analytical sound signatures.
Where in Europe are you located?

Always have been I feel. Nicely made but pricing has always been a bit in la-la land
Indeed. Very over optimistic, especially if the analogue inputs don't stack up, according to the WHFI review.

I knew this would happen 3 years ago, the likes of Creek's new amp is over 4k, these various heritage speakers are ludicrous, Linn, Harbeth stupid price hikes etc etc etc.

When people are using food banks just to survive....

Bleat over....

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I am considering this option. As I don't have any experience with DACs and I can't distinguish between good or bad at this point, anything will be better than Bluetooth I guess.
For the financial outlay it's a good way to dip your toes into streaming. If you love the convenience then you can't take it further, if you feel you need to.

Reactions: richdaws7

Gray

What make and model of DAC?
How easy/nice is the user interface?

It would be interesting to know.
You won't get a better sounding DAC for the money (or for 4-6 times the price, I've found).
USB powered or separate PSU when using coax input.
Hide it away as is - or put it in a case like I did (and I still hide it away).

Volumio version 2 (they're on version 3 now) is the user interface controlling my Pi.
It's free and great.
IMG_20230508_181726_MP.jpg
IMG_20230508_181849_MP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Noddy and Symples

richdaws7

May 17, 2022
Visit site
For the financial outlay it's a good way to dip your toes into streaming. If you love the convenience then you can't take it further, if you feel you need to.
I've seen that the Topping E30 and E70 have an integrated pre-amp. Does this adds noise to the streaming or affect in some way the sound? Can you turn off the preamp? Does it even matter?

Gray

I've seen that the Topping E30 and E70 have an integrated pre-amp. Does this adds noise to the streaming or affect in some way the sound? Can you turn off the preamp? Does it even matter?
Add noise?
No

(Adversely) affect sound?
No

Turn off preamp?
You're not turning it off as such, but by using it in fixed (full output) mode, it effectively becomes what you're thinking of as a non-preamp DAC.

Does it even matter?
Having a preamp facility matters only if having the ability to reduce its output matters to you.

Last edited:

richdaws7

May 17, 2022
Visit site
For about the same price of the topping E30 + the wiim pro (because I prefer to have Ethernet connection) I can get the NAD CS1. (400 EUR.).
Is the NAD CS1 good? I think it's new and I can't find any reviews

I think most of the mainstream known brands.
These are the websites of the biggest stores in the city.
https://www.supersonido.es/
https://stylesound.com/
Lovely looking stores.

I would certainly make time to demo a few different options - it's the only way to know if you can live with a given set-up.

I say "live with" as that's hugely important. I would suggest a bright component can sound great on a short listen, what I call "instant impact" but over longer sessions it can grate on your senses.

It's all about striking the right balance between entertaining and realism. You won't know this unless you hear them for yourself.

Witterings

For about the same price of the topping E30 + the wiim pro (because I prefer to have Ethernet connection) I can get the NAD CS1. (400 EUR.).
Is the NAD CS1 good? I think it's new and I can't find any reviews

I can't see there'd be much difference (if any) between the two, I started with a WiiM Mini and recently changed to a Pro, I was also using the E30 to start with through a surround amp but have since upgraded to an amp with a good onboard DAC so don't need the E30 now.
You may also want to think about what streaming service you're using, personally I use Amazon Music and can cast it from the Amazon App to the WiiM which I prefer to having to use the WiiM App.
Most of the streamers you can only cast Spotify from the App so would take your streaming service and compatability into account as well, there's rumour you'll be able to cast Qobuz from it's App to the WiiM in the not too distant future as well.

Reactions: richdaws7 and Noddy

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I am thinking of adding a streamer or DAC + streamer to my system as my main source is digital.
I have a Rotel A11 tribute which has no digital connections and I am currently using the Bluetooth APT-X with TIDAL from my phone, which I know is a shame. Changing the Rotel is not an option right now so I have started reading and watching some videos about DACs and streamers.

Buying a Bluesound NODE was my first option looking to the future when I bought my system, not so long ago (Borea BR03 + Rotel A11 tribute). I have tried this with my setup and works fine. However, after some research, I understand that the DAC is the brain of my system, and as I am currently using a digital source to reproduce music and this has a big impact on the audio quality of my system. I am now interested in purchasing a dedicated DAC but I have some doubts:

1- Is there another great streamer in the same price range as the NODE that can match my sound system? (I don't mind increasing the budget a bit if there's an improvement on SQ)
2-If I get a dedicated DAC, such as the DAC Magic 200M, do I still have to buy a streamer? Does the streamer also affect the audio quality?
3- CHORD Qutest would be my best choice based on the reviews and sound profile but is out of my budget and it wouldn't make sense on my starter sound system. I would rather expend that money on better speakers, but I'm happy with the BR03s for now. What are your thoughts about the Denafrips Ares II, Cambridge CNX V2, Cambridge AXN10, RME ADI-2, Eversolo DMP-A6, Topping D90?

Things that really matter to me in order of importance:
-Budget under 1000 euros.
-Soundstage,
-instrumental separation,
-Balanced sound,
-Rhythm and dynamics,
-Musicality,
-NO flat analytical sound signatures.
I've been a Bluesound Node user since the company's inception, and finally retired the latest generation of the Node from my system. I could never get great sound out of it, be it wired or wireless, analogue out or digital out. I think the Bluesound is terrific as a platform or a module, but the machine just doesn't sound good. Cambridge CXN V2 showed me what was possible with my system, and now I have Wiim Mini going through the DAC in my integrated. This is absolutely the best sound I've heard in years, and even got me thinking how overrated external DAC's are. Since your Rotel doesn't have a DAC, I would try and find a streamer with the best analogue out. For me, in that price range, it would be the Cambridge. I haven't heard the NAD CS1. By the way, the Triangle BR03's take a long time to break in and rather appreciate power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts