Streamer ideas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The innuos mini mk2 might be suitable for you black sabbath.

1. Acts as a roon core : If looking at the digital front end. Roon is a must have these day's. Will add immensely to your musical enjoyment. Apparently the zen mini has only 2gb of ram. So not a powerhouse like the zenith. But if your local library is not huge, you can use roon's up sampling to DSD, sound filters, and roon correction dsp. This is the icing on the cake for roon, apart from a great user experience. And all the above improve sound quality.

2. Has a inbuilt cd ripper. Will save you the hassle of ripping all your cd's separately. And will add your cd's to roon database along with album art work.

3. Compact size : only a half width unit. Comes in black too.

4. Inbuilt storage : comes with inbuilt storage of 2TB. You can always choose a 4TB version at a slightly higher cost.

5. OS : comes with innuos's own operating system, apart from roon.

The combination of the zen mini mk2 + chord qutest should give you a real good digital front end. And should be around the 2k mark.
thanks Newlash I will look into it but I will have to sell my old Yamaha A-S2100 on eBay before I can go out and buy anything as I’ve saved some money as well and the money from the amplifier should help to get something good I would of thought

The most convenient and easiest way is ripping cd's to pc...and onto the nas which resides on your local network (plugged into your router)the router is connected (preferably a wired connection)to said streamer....streamer is connected to the amplifier with normal stereo rca cables....streamer is controlled via a smart device or a clunky remote control which I actually like.lol.the nas drive will also need a server installed....minim /plex /twonky...there's a good few to choose from.

And roon isn't free.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
newlash09 said:

1. Acts as a roon core : If looking at the digital front end. Roon is a must have these day's. Will add immensely to your musical enjoyment. Apparently the zen mini has only 2gb of ram. So not a powerhouse like the zenith. But if your local library is not huge, you can use roon's up sampling to DSD, sound filters, and roon correction dsp. This is the icing on the cake for roon, apart from a great user experience. And all the above improve sound quality.

2. Has a inbuilt cd ripper. Will save you the hassle of ripping all your cd's separately. And will add your cd's to roon database along with album art work.

4. Inbuilt storage : comes with inbuilt storage of 2TB. You can always choose a 4TB version at a slightly higher cost.

The combination of the zen mini mk2 + chord qutest should give you a real good digital front end. And should be around the 2k mark.

I might be taking delivery of a mini for home demo this week or next... is it true that Roon comes with a £200 subscription per year?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Yes the roon is an additional cost. Either 200 pounds annual subscription or if you really like it, you can upgrade it to a life time license for about 549 pounds. The roon server software comes pre installed on the innuos zen mini. You just need a activation code from roon to start using it on the zen mini mk2.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The most convenient and easiest way is ripping cd's to pc...and onto the nas which resides on your local network (plugged into your router)the router is connected (preferably a wired connection)to said streamer....streamer is connected to the amplifier with normal stereo rca cables....streamer is controlled via a smart device or a clunky remote control which I actually like.lol.the nas drive will also need a server installed....minim /plex /twonky...there's a good few to choose from.
Ok I think I understand about the NAS which is basically a hard drive caddy which plugs into my router is this correct ...which holds my music library that I’ve ripped from my laptop but then gets passed onto the NAS ? Is that correct

right the software bit bothers me is there software I can buy just the ones without paying a yearly fee that does the job right that gives me my artwork and track info ? Because I didn’t want to keep paying out for software every year .

insider9

Roon annual membership is $119 and lifetime $500. Of which if decide to upgrade they'll give you a discount on the unused portion of your annual.

In pounds that's around £85 for a year and £355 for lifetime.

https://roonlabs.com/pricing.html

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Macspur said:
newlash09 said:

I might be taking delivery of a mini for home demo this week or next... is it true that Roon comes with a £200 subscription per year?

Mac

Yes the roon is an additional cost. Either 200 pounds annual subscription or if you really like it, you can upgrade it to a life time license for about 549 pounds. The roon server software comes pre installed on the innuos zen mini. You just need a activation code from roon to start using it on the zen mini mk2.
so what does that give me the product and the license for £549 For life ? Or more

Most servers are free....I use plex which is around 3-4 quid a month....I just prefer the way it puts my album art and artists thumbnails together....minim is free and synology have it's own diskserve also free.

What if you pay for the life membership of the roon experience and it goes under?..

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ok I think I understand about the NAS which is basically a hard drive caddy which plugs into my router is this correct ...which holds my music library that I’ve ripped from my laptop but then gets passed onto the NAS ? Is that correct 

right the software bit bothers me is there software I can buy just the ones without paying a yearly fee that does the job right that gives me my artwork and track info ? Because I didn’t want to keep paying out for software every year .

But lifetime Roon membership and you'll never have to worry about cataloguing, track, album and artist info, artwork, lyrics, etc.

Not just that you also get multiroom, DSP, internet and local content radio.

Edit
It won't even care if you have the tracks for one album in different folders in different formats, bit rates etc.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Most servers are free....I use plex which is around 3-4 quid a month....I just prefer the way it puts my album art and artists thumbnails together....minim is free and synology have it's own diskserve also free.
ok so your saying that the synology Nas which I looked at before has a free server or do you mean the software I need in order to sort my library out ?

As I am kind of looking for a one ticket software where I pay for life and have done with it

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ok I think I understand about the NAS which is basically a hard drive caddy which plugs into my router is this correct ...which holds my music library that I’ve ripped from my laptop but then gets passed onto the NAS ? Is that correct 

But lifetime Roon membership and you'll never have to worry about cataloguing, track, album and artist info, artwork, lyrics, etc.

Roon is worth every penny. Does what a lot of other different programs do single handedly.

Iam sure one can put together a better sounding system for 2000 pounds than the innuos + chord pairing I suggested. But would need some faffing with software etc. This will be easier and straight forward solution.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ok I think I understand about the NAS which is basically a hard drive caddy which plugs into my router is this correct ...which holds my music library that I’ve ripped from my laptop but then gets passed onto the NAS ? Is that correct

Edit It won't even care if you have the tracks for one album in different folders in different formats, bit rates etc.
so what’s the total cost then for a life time membership as Newlash was on about this and some other product that goes with it

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
Macspur said:
newlash09 said:

Mac

so what does that give me the product and the license for £549 For life ? Or more 

The price is 350 pounds for a life time. And you can use it just like any other software that you purchased.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Roon is worth every penny. Does what a lot of other different programs do single handedly.

Iam sure one can put together a better sounding system for 2000 pounds than the innuos + chord pairing I suggested. But would need some faffing with software etc. This will be easier and straight forward solution.
yes that’s what I am looking for mate really and do not mind paying the lifetime membership if the software does the job

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Edit It won't even care if you have the tracks for one album in different folders in different formats, bit rates etc.
so what’s the total cost then for a life time membership as Newlash was on about this and some other product that goes with it 

Innuos zen mini mk2 (700 P) + chord qutest (1200 P ) + Roon life time license (349 P) = 2249 pounds

daveh75

The WXC50 the op already has is a fine piece kit, spending more is complete and utter lunacy IMO.

And Roon is possibly one of the most overrated bits of software I've ever encountered. I don't get the audiphool infatuation with it...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Innuos zen mini mk2 (700 P) + chord qutest (1200 P ) + Roon life time license (349 P) = 2249 pounds
ok thanks for that Newlash that’s roughly in my budget

insider9

daveh75 said:
The WXC50 the op already has is a fine piece kit, spending more is complete and utter lunacy IMO.

And Roon is possibly one of the most overrated bits of software I've ever encountered. I don't get the audiphool infatuation with it...
Have you ever used it?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:

yes I agree the Yamaha wxc50 is very good for its price but everybody that’s commented thinks the Yamaha wxc50 is holding back my setup I can’t argue my case because I’ve not heard any other streamers or NAS only a bluesound 2 .

i thought a streamer was a streamer to be honest

daveh75

insider9 said:
daveh75 said:

Have you ever used it?

Yes.

Had the 14 day trial some time ago to see what all the fuss was about, didn't need the 14 days to see it is was unwarranted

I wouldn't pay that cash for a glorified Spotify discover tab.....that's all it really is ateotd....if you ain't too bothered about dsp software which also isn't free either.

The pc and free nas servers do just fine organising artists /albums etc.

But each to their own I suppose.

insider9

Sabbath to make sure you really want Roon get a free trial first. They usually do one with an affiliate for 2 months. There was one with HB Channel. I'm sure there's one with someone else now. I can have a look for you. You can run Roon even on an older PC in another room or under the stairs. Or a streamer like Innuos or Elac or a NAS or even a laptop.

You use your mobile or tablet to operate it but also another PC if you want. Files can be on a PC or anywhere else on a network e.g. NAS.

And then you can connect however many endpoints (zones) you want. It's a very flexible solution.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:

The wxc-50 via optical out sounds exactly like the CCA via optical out into my chord dac to my ears. So you can infer it as 'bits are just bits' and be happy with it.

But I would like to think that the wxc-50's inbuilt streaming tech is only as good as a 30 pound CCA. And hence my recommendation to upgrade the source . So each to his own here I guess :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts