Streamer ideas

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok if you lot can come with some ideas for a really good streamer for me to demo and I do not mind secondhand as long as it’s a good sorce and obviously I want it to be fully balanced as well so I can use the other inputs on my Yamaha 3000 .

its got to have a great onboard Dac as well and great build quality .

i most probably sell my Yamaha A-S2100 amplifier and the money I have saved to buy a good streamer so maybe the budget will be £1500-£2000

And I will try and demo them *smile*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yamaha NP-S2000 to match your CD player and amplifier. A bit overpriced IMO but probably very good quality and well built.

15-33_04_2013_YamahaNP-S2000_01.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you already know my suggestion (including a Klimax Renew DS/1 second hand).....which should be compared with the Naim equivalent.

You might find a second hand Electro ECM 1

not balanced though and I doubt you'll get a balanced xlr streamer in this price range Sabbath....but it's got good connectivity sounds good and should give that system some of the naim prat that I think might be lacking.....go dem one and I'm sure they come up on eBay quite often....linn streamers are also great quality but I think their more laid back nature might give you an overall smoother than silk sound that might get a bit boring for you further down the line.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Yamaha NP-S2000 to match your CD player and amplifier. A bit overpriced IMO but probably very good quality and well built.
that’s been discontinued the only way I could buy one of them is secondhand and I would have to buy blind but yes the quality of the build is definitely there .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I always heard good things about it. Here is a Streamer League table I posted a few years back (which put it level with a Sneaky).:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streamer-league-table

What HiFi review: https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/np-s2000/review

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
not balanced though and I doubt you'll get a balanced xlr streamer in this price range Sabbath....but it's got good connectivity sounds good and should give that system some of the naim prat that I think might be lacking.....go dem one and I'm sure they come up on eBay quite often....linn streamers are also great quality but I think their more laid back nature might give you an overall smoother than silk sound that might get a bit boring for you further down the line.
they are about £2000 new I think but not sure how the Naim streamer will connect with my Yamaha 3000 but yes I would have to go to Sevenoaks audio for a demo on that one

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
steve_1979 said:
that’s been discontinued the only way I could buy one of them is secondhand and I would have to buy blind but yes the quality of the build is definitely there .

If you buy one second hand and don't like it for some reason you can sell it on and recoup your money with minimal or no loss.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
they are about £2000 new I think but not sure how the Naim streamer will connect with my Yamaha 3000 but yes I would have to go to Sevenoaks audio for a demo on that one
it'll connect by the usual rca to rca...or if you want to be awkward....5 pin din to rca.lol.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
steve_1979 said:

If you buy one second hand and don't like it for some reason you can sell it on and recoup your money with minimal or no loss.
it’s finding one that’s the issue and in black but yes I would of liked that definitely

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
it'll connect by the usual rca to rca...or if you want to be awkward....5 pin din to rca.lol.
I can’t remember if my 3000 has 5pin din but if it expects RCA I will check it out

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Auralic aries mini because you can fit a hhd or sad into it for local storage
Then if your heart is set on the chord qutest 2 you can connect to the chord dac with the digital out

All your CDs stored on SSD without having to switch on a pc apart from the remote app

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Then if your heart is set on the chord qutest 2 you can connect to the chord dac with the digital out

All your CDs stored on SSD without having to switch on a pc apart from the remote app
Yamaha WXC-50 that Sabbath already has offers bigger functionality. So should he go with Qutest he's set already. No point buying Aries Mini.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yamaha WXC-50 that Sabbath already has offers bigger functionality. So should he go with Qutest he's set already. No point buying Aries Mini.

Sorry never knew the Yamaha also has a 2.5 SATA drive connection

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Auralic aries mini because you can fit a hhd or sad into it for local storage Then if your heart is set on the chord qutest 2 you can connect to the chord dac with the digital out

now I am confused by that comment

insider9

For me a streamer has 3 elements. Overall hardware, dac section and software. These can be split or can be all in one box.

With a £1,500 all in one I'm not sure you'll have the most for your money. £1,200 on Qutest doesn't seem so bad.

My issue with majority of streamers is their software. For most part they're just average. Roon offers best software solution in my opinion. You wanted a NAS anyway. Buy a powerful NAS, run Roon on it.

Then all you need to decide on is your endpoint and DAC. These will determine the sound quality. Here you have many options.

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Auralic aries mini because you can fit a hhd or sad into it for local storage Then if your heart is set on the chord qutest 2 you can connect to the chord dac with the digital out

now I am confused by that comment 
Aries Mini is very similar to WXC-50 which you already have.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Sorry never knew the Yamaha also has a 2.5 SATA drive connection
SATA? No, didn't realise Mini had that.

Yamaha does have a USB 2.0 for connecting an external powered HDD or a large thumb drive.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The innuos mini mk2 might be suitable for you black sabbath.

1. Acts as a roon core : If looking at the digital front end. Roon is a must have these day's. Will add immensely to your musical enjoyment. Apparently the zen mini has only 2gb of ram. So not a powerhouse like the zenith. But if your local library is not huge, you can use roon's up sampling to DSD, sound filters, and roon correction dsp. This is the icing on the cake for roon, apart from a great user experience. And all the above improve sound quality.

2. Has a inbuilt cd ripper. Will save you the hassle of ripping all your cd's separately. And will add your cd's to roon database along with album art work.

3. Compact size : only a half width unit. Comes in black too.

4. Inbuilt storage : comes with inbuilt storage of 2TB. You can always choose a 4TB version at a slightly higher cost.

5. OS : comes with innuos's own operating system, apart from roon.

The combination of the zen mini mk2 + chord qutest should give you a real good digital front end. And should be around the 2k mark.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
For me a streamer has 3 elements. Overall hardware, dac section and software. These can be split or can be all in one box.

With a £1,500 all in one I'm not sure you'll have the most for your money. £1,200 on Qutest doesn't seem so bad.

My issue with majority of streamers is their software. For most part they're just average. Roon offers best software solution in my opinion. You wanted a NAS anyway. Buy a powerful NAS, run Roon on it.

Then all you need to decide on is your endpoint and DAC. These will determine the sound quality. Here you have many options.
yes I no I put just streamer on the thread but I should of also put NAS on the thread as well but thought we had talked about this before but got side tracked into buy a new amplifier so I ended in a different direction .

I basically new to this game I need to understand the pros and cons of both setups a proper streamer or NAS and I am old school so I haven’t got my head around this stuff yet as I’ve had a Cd player for to meany years and getting the Yamaha wxc50 was my first attempt at modern technology but I need to understand about NAS drives and what software do I use what’s the best way of connecting all of this with my Yamaha 3000 and of course is this direction right for me will it cost more to do the NAS way or the proper streamer way. .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The innuos mini mk2 might be suitable for you black sabbath.

1. Acts as a roon core : If looking at the digital front end. Roon is a must have these day's. Will add immensely to your musical enjoyment. Apparently the zen mini has only 2gb of ram. So not a powerhouse like the zenith. But if your local library is not huge, you can use roon's up sampling to DSD, sound filters, and roon correction dsp. This is the icing on the cake for roon, apart from a great user experience. And all the above improve sound quality.

2. Has a inbuilt cd ripper. Will save you the hassle of ripping all your cd's separately. And will add your cd's to roon database along with album art work.

3. Compact size : only a half width unit. Comes in black too.

4. Inbuilt storage : comes with inbuilt storage of 2TB. You can always choose a 4TB version at a slightly higher cost.

5. OS : comes with innuos's own operating system, apart from roon.

The combination of the zen mini mk2 + chord qutest should give you a real good digital front end. And should be around the 2k mark.

I might be taking delivery of a mini for home demo this week or next... is it true that Roon comes with a £200 subscription per year?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts