Streamer Advice

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I currently listen to all my music streaming Tidal Hi-Fi from an ipad. I have a Google Chromecast Audio dongle in the chain, i was considering the Moon Neo Mind, however i cannot find any dealer where i can demo at home.

Does anyone know of a dealer who might oblige me or have any expeirence of using this streamer in their set up.

I am also open to any other suggestions for streamers or indeed any suggestion for changes to my system with similar expenditure.

System is Chord Hugo —— Lavardin IT ———-Spendor D7

Thank You

There are a few dealers who post here, so you might get an offer on the Moon.

Just to clarify, is your Chromecast going via the Hugo DAC, because if so, I’m not sure what a different streamer would achieve? If you were organising music from a NAS drive too, for example, then I’m sure it’d be great. But just for Tidal...

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Yes for clarity the chromecast is going via the Hugo Dac.

I am obviously unsure as to the role of a streamer, I thought there may be differences in sound, if not

then why doesn’t everyone use a chromecast.

thanks for reply

insider9

There may be differences in sound. However this isn't why people use different solutions as in general these should not be massive and sometimes may not be any.

Streamer ultimately is as good as it's software and how it matches what you want if to do. If you want DSP, gapless playback, bit perfect, or direct playback from streamer to DAC of local files then you won't use Chromecast.

Is there anything about Chromecast you're not happy about? Any features that you would like or any that just could be better?

Thanks for clarifying. I’m sure the Moon is a super product, though I struggle to fault the CCA with streaming via an iPad - Qobuz in my case.

I just remembered that David Falkner who owns thelittleaudiocompany in Birmingham carries Moon, and he’s a regular here.

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
None of the features you mentioned are that important to me, the chromecast has been trouble free, I have only had to reset it on a couple of occasions in 3 or 4 years. And it sounds great to me.

I suppose you can always wonder if you are squeezing every last element of sound quality from your system and with a dongle that I paid 20 quid for holding it all together I was curious.(in a decent system)

I’m not desperate to splash out unnecessary money, my location(Lancaster) means that demoing is difficult.

99% of my listening is Tidal HiFi and sounds great, obviously this is CD quality and you could spend a lot

of money on a dedicated CD player, so it seems odd that a chromecast for streaming is all that is required and I wonder why anyone would design and manufacture a streamer without a Dac when again it would offer no improvement over a chromecast and a Dac for CD quality,

I understand that HI res and nas drives are other considerations for some people just not for me.

On the plus side i appear to have saved myself unnecessary expenditure which will please the other half,

Thanks again for the reply

insider9

I'd continue using what you have. The expenditure would not be proportional to gains. And particularly as changing something you're happy with could only be justified if jump in quality was huge. I'm not convinced it would be.

If you are curious chat with David at Little Audio company about Moon, maybe he will have a different view.

As an alternative look at "My Streamer for Roon" thread from last week. That would be a low cost alternative to ready made streamers. As long as you have basic PC knowledge you should manage. That was built with mostly Tidal playback in mind but do use DSP and have occasional hi res and DSD material in my library too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts