Stream or not to stream

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Recenlty my laziness has gotten the better of me and I have been exploring the options of not getting out of the couch to change CDs. What I have right now are around close to 500 CDs and a Synology NAS. I am looking for a cost effective streaming solution without breaking the bank. The primary objective is to rip the CDs to apple lossless and store them on the NAS and stream the music to HiFi. Also, I have been using Apple music a lot these days so need that that option as well.

So for options, I have actually seen some really good deals on the classic squeeze box on Ebay (brand new ones). They come down to around $200. But there is always a more pricey solution in the form of Sonos Connect or Marantz NA 6005. Anybody has expereince with the squeezebox classic? What do you guys recommend?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Heart says, another new gadget, go for it, credit card will take care of itself.

Brain Says, you already have a CD player. Walking over to the HiFi rack, you burn a few more calories, so get off your lazy a$$.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you Apple or Android? If you're Apple, buy an Airport Express, connect its analog output to your amp and stream from your NAS using your phone. If you're Android, I understand a Chromecast Audio or a Bluetooth receiver will do the same thing, though I don't know how good either of those sounds. Apple AirPlay protocol is lossless, so there is no deterioration in sound quality.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I am on apple. I do have an airport express lying around somewhere in the house which I had previously used as a range extender. Let me hook it up tomorrow, and see how that works.

I have been using a bluetooth receiver (Arcam rBlink) but can't say I am very impressed. Maybe its just in my head but there is something missing over bluetooth connectivity.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The squeezebox has excellent sound (better than my Chromecast IMHO) and a good operating system. The fact it has a screen makes it very useable but it is also very easy to control from phone or PC.

Synology have a squeezebox server app so they integrate really well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts