Strange Onkyo 606 video problems - help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi there

can anyone suggest a solution to the problems I'm having with my Onkyo 606 amp

I've had it at least a couple of years now but it seems to be gradually refusing to recognise video signals from any sources.

Please bear in mind I've set this up as it should be, assigned inputs etc etc and at first it was all working fine, then -

it stopped displaying a component image from my Wii console

then stopped displaying a component image from my Xbox 360

it has in the past been okay with displaying an image from my PS3 via HDMI, but recently I've had to have my HDMI Sky HD box turned on and displaying on the tv via the onkyo, then after 10-30 minutes (like it needs to warm up or is having trouble recognising the PS3) I can then get an image on the TV. It will frequently display a screen of 'noise' or the speakers will make a 'whooshing' sound as it tries to 'see' the PS3 signal. Occasionally the PS3 will appear with a low-res display and I have to change the amp source and then switch it back again. The onkyo will frequent switch channels from its av source to the tv source as it tries to find a signal.

This last week it has started to do the same with the HDMI Sky connection - i've a feeling the video circuitry is buggered.

Additionally it used to show its 'on screen set-up' on the TV fine - now if I need to make and settings adjustments I have to use the onkyos display panel - what the hell is wrong with it??

As for audio - it sounds as good as ever, no issues there but it's a strange problem and I'm hoping one of you can shed some light on it

BTW its connected to a panasonic 42" 1080p pz80b. I've also tried resetting the onkyo as per the instruction book but had no success, turning on/off at the wall etc. Also all the consoles will connect directly to the TV fine so it is not a cable/TV issue I think

A

Anonymous

hi

sorry I dont know what the problem is , but mine does the same thing. I have one in the family room and sometimes if fails to pick up the PS3. It has never been a problem with the Sky image. I changed it over to a different input and now it works fine. I only have Sky and the PS3 plugged inso I thought it may have just been a faulty input.

martynsh1984

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
im having similar problems with mine. The Freeview HD box is slower to connect that usual and the PS3 seems to take forever. I usually have to switch either the receiver or the console off/on a few times before they connect.

Might be firmware issue but how do you upgrade the reciever????

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Gentlemen,

I have had an Onkyo 605, 606 and 607 and oddly enough, it was the 606 that gave me a problem with the on-screen display and the fact that one of it's HDMI ports did not always work.

I checked with Genserve and was informed that the likely problem was it's HDMI board that may require replacing - I do not know if this would resolve your issues but I have seen this to be the likely cause in many such instances.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

martynsh1984:
im having similar problems with mine. The Freeview HD box is slower to connect that usual and the PS3 seems to take forever. I usually have to switch either the receiver or the console off/on a few times before they connect.

Might be firmware issue but how do you upgrade the reciever????

Think i read somewhere to get a firmware update for the 606 it has to go back to genserve.

TRENDING THREADS