Strange clicking sound with high volume low frequency audio

hugooknapp

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm having this strange annoying clicking sound appear when a low frequency sound is played at high volume though my subwoofers. I have also had this appear on another subwoofer I have used in the past but only now has this strange quirk started to get annoying as with my last speakers I never turned up the volume to this level. At first I thought it was a problem with the lepai lp-2020a+ amp so I bought a slightly different amplifier (eBay link bellow). This exact sound still seemed to occur with the same speaker at the high volumes so I'm baffled as to what it is?! So I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it is?! *scratch_one-s_head*

I've linked bellow a video of this sound occuring with the speakers!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121728878284?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

TrevC

hugooknapp said:
Hi Guys,

I'm having this strange annoying clicking sound appear when a low frequency sound is played at high volume though my subwoofers. I have also had this appear on another subwoofer I have used in the past but only now has this strange quirk started to get annoying as with my last speakers I never turned up the volume to this level. At first I thought it was a problem with the lepai lp-2020a+ amp so I bought a slightly different amplifier (eBay link bellow). This exact sound still seemed to occur with the same speaker at the high volumes so I'm baffled as to what it is?! So I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it is?! *scratch_one-s_head*

I've linked bellow a video of this sound occuring with the speakers!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121728878284?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What PSU are you using? Are you running it from a car battery?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the cone reaching its physical travel limit, or as I have discovered, a cr@ppy test tone from YTube. I eventually found better ones with no clicking.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
or you need to spray water on cone,if it is made of paper,and leave it dry.I did it on one cerwin vega's bass driver.And clicking sound disappeared

TrevC

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
the cone reaching its physical travel limit

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

The speaker driver looks to have a very small diameter to be a subwoofer. The sound level that any driver outputs will be related to the frontal cross sectional area, and the physical travel of the cone. To generate a loud volume at 30 Hz, the driver needs a large frontal cross sectional area, plus the ability for the cone to physically travel a large enough distance. I think that driver fails on both counts, for use as a subwoofer, consequently when the volume is turned up high, the driver reaches it's physical limits.

hugooknapp

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
expat_mike said:
paulkebab said:
the cone reaching its physical travel limit

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

The speaker driver looks to have a very small diameter to be a subwoofer. The sound level that any driver outputs will be related to the frontal cross sectional area, and the physical travel of the cone. To generate a loud volume at 30 Hz, the driver needs a large frontal cross sectional area, plus the ability for the cone to physically travel a large enough distance. I think that driver fails on both counts, for use as a subwoofer, consequently when the volume is turned up high, the driver reaches it's physical limits.

Yes this was one of the theories I was contemplating that could be the source of the quirk. I'm thinking of ordering a new subwoofer driver to solve this but i'm worried that it might be the amp not the speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts