CD clicking sound annoyance

aglassofwater

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently bought a Marantz CD5005. I'm pretty happy with it, getting a nice sound in tandem with the PM6005 and some Focal Aria 906s.

But. On a handful of CDs, all of them new, I'm getting a clicking sound from the transport when they play. It's generally not a bother, as I play at a volume that drowns it out; but at lower volumes, I'm hearing it very slightly and it's annoying me. It only seems to happen with CDs I've bought in the last week or so.

The shop I bought it from took it away, tested it, got no clicking sound from it and suggested that if they were to return it to the distributor, it would come back as nothing wrong. They point out that there is always some noise from the transport, but that's not what I'm complaining about. It's a steady clicking sound, and only with new CDs. I've been pretty impressed with the service of my dealer and they're 'open to my suggestions'.

So my rather baffled questions are: is this a known issue with (some) CD players and *new CDs? Will I get any joy from Marantz if I send it back, given that it doesn't happen with all CDs? Should I just suck it up?

Many thanks.

Dom

There shouldn't be clicking IMHO.

As it only happens with new CD's try copying onto blank ones, see if it cures it or you could try phoning Richer Sounds, see what they think.

aglassofwater

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeh, in an ideal world there shouldn't be clicking; but like I say, I'm interested in knowing whether this is a known issue with new CDs (or indeed with budget Marantz CD players) and whether Marantz would indeed refuse to replace it. I don't think I'm being played by the dealer, but you never know.

Not sure what copying it onto a blank CD will tell me. A new CD is a new CD.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
aglassofwater said:
Yeh, in an ideal world there shouldn't be clicking; but like I say, I'm interested in knowing whether this is a known issue with new CDs (or indeed with budget Marantz CD players) and whether Marantz would indeed refuse to replace it. I don't think I'm being played by the dealer, but you never know.

Not heard of that before, clicking noise yes but not only on new cds. Now new cds have a coating on them, so you could try getting some cd cleaner from Maplins and cleaning one, see if that makes a difference. If not I would go back to the dealer, try your new cd in another 5005 cd player, if it does not click I would change yours for another one.

Dom

aglassofwater said:

I would say that Marantz would replace it if your not happy.

aglassofwater

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
aglassofwater said:

Whats the difference between a new and old CD?

A CD that's been manufactured recently and then purchased by me in the last couple of weeks :D

I'm not getting this issue with CDs I've been caning for the last 15 years.

Dom

aglassofwater said:
DomCheetham said:
aglassofwater said:

Whats the difference between a new and old CD?

A CD that's been manufactured recently and then purchased by me in the last couple of weeks :D

I'm not getting this issue with CDs I've been caning for the last 15 years.

I'm sorry I can't help you.

K

keeper of the quays

Might well be the cds themselves...test it? Is it the usual suspects? I have had this myself, it was the cd not the player.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
aglassofwater said:
The shop I bought it from took it away, tested it, got no clicking sound from it and suggested that if they were to return it to the distributor, it would come back as nothing wrong.

You should give the shop your new discs to test it with and ask that they test it with the volume low so they can hear what you are hearing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts