Is my AMP Clipping? Or is it the speakers?

hugooknapp

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I posted a similar post yesterday asking what this strange clicking sound was when I played high volume low frequency sound through the lepai lp-2020a+ amp and also through a similarly powered amp. I went and asked if it was the speakers or the amp that was creating the strange sound and I got responses saying that it could be the speakers or the PSU . I then went to discover later that day on Youtube that amps can 'clip' when they reach their max output and thought that this could be the real reason. Here is a video of them making the strange sound. (video)

So once again is this sound caused by the amp clipping or is it the speakers? *scratch_one-s_head*

gasolin

hugooknapp said:
Hi Guys,

I posted a similar post yesterday asking what this strange clicking sound was when I played high volume low frequency sound through the lepai lp-2020a+ amp and also through a similarly powered amp. I went and asked if it was the speakers or the amp that was creating the strange sound and I got responses saying that it could be the speakers or the PSU . I then went to discover later that day on Youtube that amps can 'clip' when they reach their max output and thought that this could be the real reason. Here is a video of them making the strange sound. (video)

So once again is this sound caused by the amp clipping or is it the speakers? *scratch_one-s_head*

Yiou shouldn't expåect such small amp and bass to be able to handle that low frequency's a s 10 and 30hz is , it's a combination of both

TrevC

hugooknapp said:
Hi Guys,

Borrow another amp, a proper one rather than a toy one, and try it.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
hugooknapp said:
Hi Guys,

Don't know anything about the amp and can't be bothered to google. I assume it's a class D amplifier, it sounds like a clipping class D amplifier to me. It might be the driver hitting the end stops when reaching maximum excursion but, from the video I would say clipping.

TRENDING THREADS