Straight arm and headshell

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi. How is it exactly going with mounting a headshell on straight arms ? I mean is it ok to mount a straight headshell on straight arm or one must mount an angled headshell in every case ? Will a straight headshell mistrack when placed on straight arms ? Have noticed that many TT with straight arms have straight headshells. Mine comes with an angled headshell. But how does it work on these TTs like below ?

reloop_rp-8000_234072_straight_advanced_hybrid_torque_turntable_with_midi_straight_tone_arm_application-3.jpg

stereoman said:
Hi. How is it exactly going with mounting a headshell on straight arms ? I mean is it ok to mount a straight headshell on straight arm or one must mount an angled headshell in every case ? Will a straight headshell mistrack when placed on straight arms ? Have noticed that many TT with straight arms have straight headshells. Mine comes with an angled headshell. But how does it work on these TTs like below ?

On most straight arms the cartridge offset angle is built into the headshell on others the cartridge itself has to be aligned correctly within the headshell.

It all depends on the manufacturer. If your deck comes with an angled headshell then it's best to replace it with one that is amgled if need be.

In your picture the cartridge is aligned by using the screw positions within the slotted headshell. NOTE: in that picture I would suggest the cartridge is not correctly aligned.

D

Deleted member 108165

All headshells are straight it is the arm that is shaped on certain applications.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
t is a simple matter of geometry.

In an ideal world the stylus would follow a straight line from disc edge to spindel (radial). This would require a parallel tracking arm (difficult to engineer and expensive) or a pivoted arm of infinite length (impractical).

With a pivoted arm of any useable length the stylus will track in an arc that is close to, but not quite on the straight line ideal. By varying the position of the arm mount and applying an offset to the headshell the designer can minimise the variarion from the straight line ideal. Many arms have a sloted mounting arrangement in the headshell to offer fine adjustment to minimise this variation.

This is usually adjusted using an alignment protractor, which can be anything from a simple piece of printed card to an elaborate mechanical device like this...

feickartprotractor2.jpg

daytona600

stereoman said:
Have noticed that many TT with straight arms have straight headshells.

deck in your picture is a DJ model with straight skip proof tone arm. Perfect and skip proof tracking is guaranteed allowing every scratching technique

most detachable headsheels are designed for SME/Jelco bayonet headsheels.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for great comments. I also noticed that it probably depends on the arm length. By my Teac the arm is straight and long so a straight headshell won't be acceptable I think whereas by short length arms you can easily install straight shells ? I mean look at the picture of Teac 300n on the internet. On the upper pic of a some turntable ( not mine ) posted earlier the arm is short that is why one can install a straight shell I presume.

stereoman said:
Thank you all for great comments. I also noticed that it probably depends on the arm length. By my Teac the arm is straight and long so a straight headshell won't be acceptable I think whereas by short length arms you can easily install straight shells ? I mean look at the picture of Teac 300n on the internet. On the upper pic of a some turntable ( not mine ) posted earlier the arm is short that is why one can install a straight shell I presume.

The arm + headshell commonly measures to the 'standard' 9 inches. Some of course are longer but need special mounting arrangements.

stereoman said:

Double post, apologies my tablets gone crazy.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
I had the solid version on my old Leak (GL75) turntable.

Yeah they are by far the more plentiful. I do love the GL75. For all the stick that idler-drive decks take, the bass always had an amazing solidity and weight to it that I haven't heard from belt drives (limits of my own experiences not withstanding). But the arm is shocking. I've see a few with SME3009's, but never heard one.

D

Deleted member 108165

davedotco said:
t is a simple matter of geometry.

In an ideal world the stylus would follow a straight line from disc edge to spindel (radial). This would require a parallel tracking arm (difficult to engineer and expensive) or a pivoted arm of infinite length (impractical).

With a pivoted arm of any useable length the stylus will track in an arc that is close to, but not quite on the straight line ideal. By varying the position of the arm mount and applying an offset to the headshell the designer can minimise the variarion from the straight line ideal. Many arms have a sloted mounting arrangement in the headshell to offer fine adjustment to minimise this variation.

This is usually adjusted using an alignment protractor, which can be anything from a simple piece of printed card to an elaborate mechanical device like this...

I am the proud owner of that exact elaborate mechanical device *biggrin* Works brilliantly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts