Storing Hi-Fi in the Loft

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Does it cause damage. My loft experiences high temperatures in the summer ~ 30C and low temperatures during the winter.

Does this damage items eg CD players or cassette decks that contain belts?

Does it cause damage. My loft experiences high temperatures in the summer ~ 30C and low temperatures during the winter.

Does this damage items eg CD players or cassette decks that contain belts?
Depends on how long you store them for. Don't put anything on top as it could make it even hotter.

I've got an old Garrard belt drive table which has been up there since 2003. I've only brought it down once and it spun okay. Didn't play any records because the stylus is vintage 1983.

Reactions: Al ears

shadders

why do people feel the need to store things in the loft?
Hi,
Because people have more stuff than fits in the house for normal use, and they don't like to throw things away. They also keep empty boxes as they are used for when moving. It is more secure and less prone to weathering effects.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

It's more to do with unregulated humidity in my opinion, damp kills!
Hi,
As long as you climatise the equipment before use, then no issue. Your car works no issue when it is damp - the internal electronics are exposed to temperatures and varying humidity, and they still work when you use the car.

Regards,
Shadders.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi-end hifi when not in use should only ever be stored on a fresh bed of virgin mermaid pubes - certainly not in the loft 😉.

Being serious, I can imagine this causing damage to expensive and sensitive kit. Not worth the risk imo.

As a side note - I'm moving out of my own house atm for major works to occur. Most of my life is in boxes! I haven't even stored my hifi kit at the storage locker I've rented as I don't know how humid it gets, what temp variation etc. there is etc. It has instead been stored with a family member for safekeeping.

Just my two pence.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Gray

it is loft or nothing.
Al ears previously made the point that it should be nothing - he can't understand why people store rather than sell unused stuff.

I spent a year installing new TVs for a local chain. When customers learned the firm didn't take away the box and packing....it was like the end of the world to some of them.
"Where am I gonna put all that?!"
Though large TV boxes don't fit through loft hatches - above the car in the garage 👍
No loft, spare room, shed or garage? then you're forced to chuck.

Last edited:
Empty boxes I happily store in loft or garage roof space. But I always try to keep actual Hifi gear at room temperature, though I think I’ve currently got a wireless speakers double-boxed in the garage.

Retailers and delivery people never want the boxes because they have to pay commercial rates to take them to a tip, whereas domestic users can usually dispose of boxes and polystyrene for free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts