Storage Advice for Squeezebox Touch / Macs

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Advice please guys!

I've just purchased a Squeezebox Touch which will be plugged into our Linn Majik system.

We have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router that we use to access wifi throughout the house.

Our household is 100% Mac based (both my wife and I have MacBook Pros).

I predominantly want to use the Squeezebox to play high quality FLAC files (either CD rips or downloads) BUT it would be nice to access my iTunes files as well.

In order to have PLENTY of storage space should I be looking at an external USB drive (a much cheaper option) to plug directly into the Squeezebox OR a NAS drive to plug into our router?

If a NAS, which ones work well for Macs and allow the full Squeezebox Server software to be installed?

Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom!

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That sounds easy and relatively inexpensive

Thanks!

The Squeezebox Touch Features Guide that I downloaded states ...

"Note: To ensure proper operation of a USB drive with Squeezebox Touch:

If your USB drive has an AC power connection, plug it in.

If your USB drive does not connect to an AC power supply, plug it into an AC powered USB hub."

Is there any AC powered USB drives that you would recommend?

nads

you dont even need to have squeezebox server on the Mac as the touch has a lite version on it already.

Or you can get something like a Netgear Ready NAS which has a version of Squeezebox server installed on it.

John Duncan

Hm, bummer that you need an extra plug. However, I'd be looking at Western Digital Mybooks, since I know they take AC power. 500gig for about 50 quid on Amazon, terabyte for 75 or so. You'll need to reformat to Fat32 to get it to work with your Mac though.

Wish I had a squeezebox to hand to see if it might *just* power the 35 quid USB-powered one I got from Tescos though...

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I got my Touch on Monday and installed the Squeezebox Server component on my NAS and have been busy ripping my CD's to flac all week.

I must admit I didn't originally buy my NAS because of the Squeezebox bit but now I'm glad I did. One of the reasons I bought it was that it's sold without any disks pre-installed, Synology have a list of compatible hard disks which then gives you the flexibility to choose how much to spend.

I've so far only connected my Touch via wifi and have had no issues, the Squeezebox Server interface is telling me the signal strength to my Touch is 95%

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts