stereo vs avr amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

actually I wasn't taking note of the amp models. only know they were using Yamaha for Heco, and NAD for the KEF.

the permutations of amp + speakers + cd players were too vast - so I figured just working on the speakers and pinpointing the ones I wanted might make a little more sense. though on hindsight, I should at least have taken note of the amps and the CD players...let me get back to you later after I go test out the Dalis...:)

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: if for whatever reason you are not going to use a sub, keep it 2 channel, for now at least.

probably not the sub if I intend to get floor standers. but a 2-channel will not accommodate a center speaker for movie conversations?

will it be very different if I listen to video in stereo?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
upsidesunny:
Gerrardasnails: if for whatever reason you are not going to use a sub, keep it 2 channel, for now at least.

probably not the sub if I intend to get floor standers. but a 2-channel will not accommodate a center speaker for movie conversations?

will it be very different if I listen to video in stereo?

It will sound fine. There are lots of films with just a DD 2.0 soundtrack.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
upsidesunny:
actually I wasn't taking note of the amp models. only know they were using Yamaha for Heco, and NAD for the KEF.

the permutations of amp + speakers + cd players were too vast - so I figured just working on the speakers and pinpointing the ones I wanted might make a little more sense. though on hindsight, I should at least have taken note of the amps and the CD players...let me get back to you later after I go test out the Dalis...:)

A system is the sum of it's parts, not each individual component taken in isolation.

Think of Real Madrid: a football team full of individual "superstars" who can't play together as a team which is why they've never got past the last 16 in Europe for the last 6 years.

A system comprises 3 components - source + amp + speakers. Stop focusing on just the speakers, you're trying to build a team! If you don't know what CD/amp you're demoing as well, how can you find the right combination?

A

Anonymous

so would the best remedy for buying one's first system be just to go to dealers, test out their recommended system bundles and pick a bundle from there?

based on that, then the system is only as good as the dealer would think it is since the "pairings" would be defined by what he thinks is a good system?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: It will sound fine. There are lots of films with just a DD 2.0 soundtrack.

Would Transformers survive the stereo? :D

I'm not being sarcastic even if it sounds so. I recognize movies like Transformers would need the full works - but I watched it plain off tv speakers yesterday and the sound was hopeless. On a scale of 1-80, I had to crank up the volume to 60 to get anything out of it on my Samsung 32".

what would a stereo experience be like? it's easy to imagine a 5.1 - not so a stereo

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
upsidesunny:
so would the best remedy for buying one's first system be just to go to dealers, test out their recommended system bundles and pick a bundle from there?

based on that, then the system is only as good as the dealer would think it is since the "pairings" would be defined by what he thinks is a good system?

Suggestion would be to find out what kit dealers have to demo, then do your research.

"Review" section on here would be a good place to start. You'll only find out by listening so do it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
upsidesunny:
Gerrardasnails: It will sound fine. There are lots of films with just a DD 2.0 soundtrack.

Would Transformers survive the stereo? :D

I'm not being sarcastic even if it sounds so. I recognize movies like Transformers would need the full works - but I watched it plain off tv speakers yesterday and the sound was hopeless. On a scale of 1-80, I had to crank up the volume to 60 to get anything out of it on my Samsung 32".

what would a stereo experience be like? it's easy to imagine a 5.1 - not so a stereo

Ok, this is my opinion and others will disagree. It's either a 2.0 or a 5.1 (surround set up or variant of 7.1, 5.2, 6.1 etc...). I don't see the point of a 5.0 or a 2.1 even. If you want proper surround sound, you HAVE to use a sub. You might have floorstanders that do great low end. They won't make the house rumble. If you cannot have a subwoofer, I don't see the point of spending out on an AV receiver and a centre and rear speakers. You would be better off spending more money on the stereo amp and floorstanders.

As for the experience with films using 2 channel - many people on here do just that and some rave over it. I don't think it will be that much worse than a 5.0 set up.

By the way, you can get some very small subs and hide them behind sofas, under coffee tables, behind doors...

leadears

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
IMHO movies sound great in stereo, a massive improvement over TV speakers. Surround is great for action movies, if that's what you enjoy watching and want the full surround experience go for it, it will also sound good in stereo. There are a few movies, e.g LOTR, the latest Bond (opening car chase) where I really appreciate surround as it can add so much, and agree that the sub is a large (grin inducing) part of this. 70% of the time I use my system for stereo music, and most movies/TV that I watch don't have much in the way of 3D soundtrack. If I spent my budget again I would most likely go for dedicated stereo as that's where my interest lies.

On the subject in general, I auditioned Kef iQ7s against 2 different AVR systems, on one they sounded very ordinary, on the other really quite special. You pays your money....

A

Anonymous

which AVR made the KEF special?

tested it out on the NAD and the sound was bright, airy, superficial and lacked soul.

it sounded better hooked up to the NAD amp, had a fuller sound and more punch - or I could have been persuaded to think it sounded better because the sales guy kept telling me so! - but was still too pristine and bright for my taste.

leadears

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
It was a Denon avr-4306 that gave the Kef's back the sound I'd previously heard when auditioning them (and many other speakers) with unknown stereo amplification, there were many speakers that sounded better but for a substantial price hike. Had decided on the speakers but needed a reciever that satisfied all my requirements, chose one on specification and was very dissapointed on audition, the Denon/Kef combination returned the sound I really liked.

I think Kef's can sound a little bright [1], but I find them amazingly clear and detailed, the combination of that with 3D sound staging is what I appreciate, brings the best out of female vocals and acoustic instruments. If I'd had the budget I'd have gone for iQ9s which definitely gave a warmer sound when more bass was present. I also run some B&W685s in my bedroom which give a warmer if less detailed/separated sound.

The next step maybe some xq40s or another brand's offering in that price bracket, I have yet to audition and hear suffiient difference to be convinced...

[1] some very basic room treatment toned that down, I wouldn't put them in a reflective environment.

A

Anonymous

i did ask about a denon - but no, they only had NAD

and the salesguy wasn't too friendly. i'm tempted to give it another shot...but I'm not sure I'm up to trying to deal with cocky uppity salespeople who make it very clear their shop sells only speakers and not the amps....

so, unless I find somewhere else that carries KEFs....maybe I just need to look at other speakers....:(

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with a few people here but I think for movies etc you need a centre speaker as that is where nearly all of the talking comes from.
I think you need to start with a AVR and 3 or 5 speakers and then at a later date if you think you need a stereo amp you could incorporate it into the system, just make sure any AVR you buy has front pre-outs (I think most do these days). You can also buy a sub later if you're worried about upsetting the neighbours.

To answer some of the earlier questions or point raised.

could i get away with just the stereo-amp being turned on when I only want to listen to music- Yes.

Not all stereo amps (integrated amps) have dedicated input for power section. And if it doesn't have - you can't use it to expand your a/v setup later. That's all. Yes, there is not use for stereo preamp in a/v setup.- Rubbish. If the AVR has front pre-outs then connect them into any line in on the stereo amp you don't need a dedicated input for power section.

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:

I'm going to disagree with a few people here but I think for movies etc you need a centre speaker as that is where nearly all of the talking comes from.

Not all stereo amps (integrated amps) have dedicated input for power section. And if it doesn't have - you can't use it to expand your a/v setup later
Rubbish. If the AVR has front pre-outs then connect them into any line in on the stereo amp you don't need a dedicated input for power section.

When do you listen music in stereo, where is singer usually located?
If you will connect avr preout to stereo amp line in you will need to operate with both volume controls, isn't it? Yes, maybe you can fix it in one position and forget about it, which can be a way how to adapt it.
There somebody told about choosing system, not components. I think that will be more easy when you already have one piece in mind and then just need to find other complementary than try to find both pieces at the same time.

Little bit off topic:
All that 5.1 or 9.2 thing come to our houses from big cinema where distances are many times bigger and we have tens of people who each want the same experience from sound, and that is what is putting limits on what we can do with only two speakers. In living room, usually we have completely different situation, there is only 2-4 metres between speakers and about 1-3 watchers, from whom maybe only one is crazy passion about sound. Any music lover will tell that spatial soundstage and musician locations are not a problem for stereo, and isn't every audio equipment reviewer writing something in report about does system can create 3d soundstage or not. I think that in all this 5-speaker thing business is much more than sound. Yes, maybe there is some special sound effects, never cared about them, and, yes, big tv directly between speakers killing soundstage, that's for sure. Maybe some people do not have space to put their speakers in proper places and then 5-speakers are solution for them. Or maybe I have that space because I don't have 5 speakers :) Anyway, everybody has his or her own priorities; I do not want to be too much offensive or defensive. Peace.

A

Anonymous

ediots: big tv directly between speakers killing soundstage, that's for sure.

could you please explain? why would the tv kill the sound stage? do you mean because the tv locks in where the soundstage should be?

but isn't the soundstage in a general area where both the speakers are facing anyway, with or without the tv?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
I think you need to start with a AVR and 3 or 5 speakers and then at a later date if you think you need a stereo amp you could incorporate it into the system, just make sure any AVR you buy has front pre-outs (I think most do these days). You can also buy a sub later if you're worried about upsetting the neighbours.

could i get away with just the stereo-amp being turned on when I only want to listen to music- Yes.

Not all stereo amps (integrated amps) have dedicated input for power section. And if it doesn't have - you can't use it to expand your a/v setup later. That's all. Yes, there is not use for stereo preamp in a/v setup.- Rubbish. If the AVR has front pre-outs then connect them into any line in on the stereo amp you don't need a dedicated input for power section.

Not sure I fully understand you here but not all integrated stereo amps will work this way. I had the version one Creek Evo and it wouldn't sing with my AVR with front pre outs.

A

Anonymous

I've just decided to take the stereo route for my system (instead of the AVR). not sure if I'm going to regret it later, but if I watch movies with big bangs and booms probably all of once a month, or even once a quarter, an AVR setup may not really make sense.

however, with stereo amps, are there any that will accommodate even a center speaker? while the booms and bangs may not be important to me, I'd like to be able to hear conversations: is the center speaker absolutely necessary or can the 2 front speakers also magnify conversations in a stereo setup?

also, are there things with stereo amps I should look out for if I wanted it to accommodate AV later?

A

Anonymous

i just need to switch it on really loudly?

but I think I know what you mean. I watch movies off my computer using a JBL sound dock and it certainly sounds worlds better than computer speakers. I would assume something similar should apply to tv speakers vs large floorstanding stereo speakers?

A

Anonymous

as in, i have one speaker in the kitchen to keep me company while I'm cooking up a storm

I'd like the amp to be able to drive the kitchen speaker without having to turn on my main front speakers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Some stereo amps have speaker A/B switching, and can be used to drive speakers in two different rooms if required.

But if you want to run both sets of speakers at once you'll need to be a bit careful about speaker impedances: you should be fine as long as both your main room speakers and the kitchen pair are 8ohm designs.

A

Anonymous

what if the main ones are 4 ohms (dynaudios) but the kitchen ones are 8 ohms?

they'll be run separately most of the time - unless I'm entertaining and still pottering in the kitchen as the guests are arriving

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts