Stereo combos: Marantz vs. NAD vs. Yamaha Help me making a decision

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I intend to replace my very old Arcam Alpha 7 stereo system.(I like the sound, but technical problems with amp)

Mainly for listening classical music

My favourites (within my budget) are:

-Marantz PM 6005/CD 6005

-Yamaha A S 501/CD S 301

-NAD C 326BEE/ C546 BEE

What is important: -musical, analog-like, fluid, easy to ears sound.

-silent working cd player mechanism

Sorry, I have no possibility to listen the combos, I will buy online

rainsoothe

well, to me, the Marantz fits your description - too bad you can't audition though. Don't know how it will match your speakers though - the only speakers i ever heard Marantz with are B&W, XTZ and Dali - and for my ears, the Dali and the XTZ are the better fit.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd go for the NAD, which is what I have as a second system. The 326 is a really powerful, detailed amp into Dalis, and the 546 is significantly better than the 545, which was a highly regarded player - richer and far more informative. Personally l find the Marantz sound a bit lacking in body.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the C326BEE and I think it's an excellent amp. It delivers a powerful and full bodied presentation, to me it is musical and detailed without sounding clinical. The NAD also allows for upgrades later on with pre outs for biamping and sub outputs, as well as 7 line inputs which makes it very flexable.

I have no experience with Yamaha, though a friend of mine has a Marantz PM 6004 and to me it sounds ok, just a little dull perhaps. His speakers and room layout are inferior compared to mine so not a fair comparison.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I would go for the Marantz setup over the Yamaha for classical music. I cannot speak for the NAD combination - never heard it. If you were to broaden the range of genres then I might lean more towards Yamaha - speaking of which the new range has picked a few AeX awards here in Japan, but for classical, Marantz.

Have fun on your journey.

LDTM

matthewpiano

The problem here is that there are certain things, like finesse, soundstaging and tonal reproduction, which none of those amps will do as well as the Alpha 7. The Arcam isn't perfect, and certainly the newer amps will have more get-up-and-go, but I'm concerned you will lose performance in areas that are important to classical music.

Would you be prepared to buy 2nd hand? If so, I would suggest a younger Arcam than the one you have. You could probably find an A65+ or A85 in nice condition that would give you a proper step up from your Alpha 7.

What speakers are you using currently Tibor?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for response, I have Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1(will be replaced soon by Wharfedale Diamond 220)

I do not like Nad 3xx series amplifiers (I had NAD C 320 BEE) because you cannot adjust the volume by remote with little leaps, is very annoying.

Second hand Arcam amp is a good idea

hamid_hifi

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have 6004cdp/amp combo...All I can say is the marantz is not for symphonies and violin solos...There are some lacks in critical mid/highs you'll find in above mentioned...But for evrything else marantz is perfect(e.g. piano solo, jazz, etc...). Also for Rock and Heavy Metal enthusiasts marantz is not built for them.

Unless 6005s has a giant leap redesign over 6004s

And my little advice here: Stay clear of any budget if you can...There are some crackling noise found in marantz pm6004 and pm6005: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/243048-marantz-pm6004-odd-crackle-noise-how-solve.html

Also my amp's speaker relays are getting faulty after about two years(left speaker goes deaf sometimes at very low vloumes via speaker A terminal)...!

matthewpiano

I don't think you'll be happy with the Marantz kit after your current Arcam amp Tibor.

Do you really need to change the CD player at present? Could you divert the budget for that towards a better amp?

Alternatively, what are the problems with your Alpha 7? Have you investigated having it serviced?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam 7R (made at aprox. 2001) amp has some problem with volume knob, and it has some buzzz noise.I have no idea where can I repair it in my country.

My Arcam cd player is OK, but it has not usb input

I suppose that amplifiers from 2014 has better sound and better quality, but it is possible that you are right.I loved my Arcam amp, but I think it lacks some bass power

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts