Would a Nad cd 545 BEE better than a Marantz cd 6003 with my system?

Magzy

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I used this forum earlier this year re my new sound system, which ended up being a Yamaha AS 7000 amp, B&W 685 speakers and a Marantz cd 6003 cd player. Although my main conceren was lack of sharpness or trilliness with classical music I have only recently been trying out the system with proper orchestral classical music and finding too much of a dynamic swing, too much sudden surge of drama a fair amount of the time, in the sound. This, however, wasn't a problem with all the folk, pop and the complete Bach cantatas I was getting to know. I was up against this same problem with the Marantz pm 6003 amp (before I exchanged it for the yamaha), only probably more so. My quesion is would changing my Marantz cd 6003, and just that, for a Nad cd 545 BEE make an appreciable difference. I need to rush on this one because a special offer is in dire danger of running out of stock. All responses would be very welcome.

Thanking you.

Magzy

Magzy

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Postscript to my message: Also with my existing system soprano voices in particular sometimes sound a bit too bright and sharply trebly. Might this also be corrected by replacing my Marantz cd 6003 with a Nad cd 545 BEE?

Magzy

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I used to own the 545 and loved it. I think it's outstanding for the money. However, based on what you are trying to correct I think the NAD would not be the best choice. The 545 is very detailed and attacking in it's sound. You seem to be after some added smoothness without losing detail. For that I highly recommend the Rega Apollo CDP. That would be the perfect upgrade for you and would likely tame that shillness problem and even add some richness and texture to the sound. Give it a demo....

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Magzy: Although my main conceren was lack of sharpness or trilliness with classical music I have only recently been trying out the system with proper orchestral classical music and finding too much of a dynamic swing, too much sudden surge of drama a fair amount of the time, in the sound.

I believe this is the third amp you've paired with the 685's which leads me to think that perhaps you should be looking at your speakers as well.

I've never heard the 685's myself but they sure do seem to divide opinion (Marmite?) The WHF review comments on their...."terrific dynamics", and on the "surge of drama" you mention, WHF says ...."Bizet' s Carmen Suite No.2 starts off daintily and the B&Ws bring you the delicate orchestral notes before exploding into life". This to me seems an accurate reflection of what you don't like in your set-up.

A different CDP may or may not bring about the changes you desire, but for myself I would be considering the speakers after three amps as these will bring about the greatest change.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The NAD C545 might be a slightly warmer choice for your set-up. Can you get a demo of both - as suggested try listening to a few alternative speakers at the same time. It can be a can of worms if you end up changing many things during a demo, but if conducted properly it might be an eye opener. I would suggest listening to the 6003/C545 with your current speakers (if possible), choose on the CD player you prefer to keep in the system on the demo and then compare the speakers to two or at most three other possibilities if the dealer has any options that are run-in.

Magzy

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied to my original posts last night, all of which have been most helpful. Sizzers, your quote from the WHF review of the B&W 685 speakers was a real eye opener - Indeed, a key (though not only part) of what I have been complaining about with my system. I think the other suggestion to go for a demo with other speakers and the CDP 545 BEE is also an excellent idea. Now, I have found out about a special speakers offer which could be tried during such a demo, which on the phone with the shop is supposed to produce a natural sound I have yet to fix up such an ordeal. Don't I know what these demo's can be like when yout try out all sorts odf different combinationsd! The speakers are EPOS M5i and reduced from £490 to £240. (I paid something like £320 for my B&W's, and not much price reduction there). EPOS Mi2 were also suggested but at £550, and only reduced from £600 too, this is definitely more than I would ideally like to pay. Before putting myself through this 'ordeal' I would very much appreciate any feedback on these speakers as regards playing classical music without dramatic swings, etc and too much shrillness or sharpness of sopranos in particular.

Once again, thanks,

Magzy

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I would grab MatthewPiano's attention on this one (put his name up in a post). He has experience of your amp (and more), and probably every speaker that's been built as well! (and he knows his classical).

Magzy

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Dear MatthewPiano,

I am following Sizzers suggestion of asking for your response on this thread of mine, of which there has already been my original exposition and query and several responses and a further query of mine. In a nutshell, for classical orchestral music my system has too many dramatic swings and surges (as well as too much sharp treble especially in soprano voices). My system consists of a Yamaha AS 700 amp, a Marantz cd 6003 player and B&W 685 speakers. I am now pondering replacing the speakers with a pair of Epos M5i's at less than half original price, ie, £240 (or more than I'd want to spend Epos M2;s, at well over twice the price). Also maybe replacing the cd player with a Nad 545 BEE. I remember how valuable your opinions were when I had trouble earlier in the year with my system. But only recently have I returned to listening to lots of full orchestral classical (as against focusing on the complete Bach cantatas and plenty of folk and pop in the meantime). I would value yout opinion now (and indeed anyone else's).

Best wishes,

Magzy

Magzy

A

Anonymous

i have a cd6003 paired with a yamaha as-500 and dynaudio dm 2/7 speakers, and its a very nice combo, no harshness at all, very rich and smooth yet very detailed, the dyns are £600 though so well over your budget.

A

Anonymous

Magzy:
Dear MatthewPiano,

I am following Sizzers suggestion of asking for your response on this thread of mine, of which there has already been my original exposition and query and several responses and a further query of mine. In a nutshell, for classical orchestral music my system has too many dramatic swings and surges (as well as too much sharp treble especially in soprano voices). My system consists of a Yamaha AS 700 amp, a Marantz cd 6003 player and B&W 685 speakers. I am now pondering replacing the speakers with a pair of Epos M5i's at less than half original price, ie, £240 (or more than I'd want to spend Epos M2;s, at well over twice the price). Also maybe replacing the cd player with a Nad 545 BEE. I remember how valuable your opinions were when I had trouble earlier in the year with my system. But only recently have I returned to listening to lots of full orchestral classical (as against focusing on the complete Bach cantatas and plenty of folk and pop in the meantime). I would value yout opinion now (and indeed anyone else's).

Best wishes,

Magzy

Magzy
dont know if you've spotted this mp? thought id bump it just incase...

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I actually suggested putting up a seperate post specifically asking for Mr P to gauge his advice/opinions. It's just that I feel he may
be one of the people to help guide you in this.

A

Anonymous

i didnt mean to type that "bump" in bold either in case anyone is wondering..

Magzy

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was Sizzers who suggested MatthewPiano, though I'm sure you meant well. And thanks for suggesting the dynaudio dm 2/7 speakers, though unfortunately they are outside my budget at £600.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
How about the matching CD-S700? The review by Alan Sircom describes the 700 duo as very natural sounding. Some of the sentences in the review seem to address the very issues you talk about (exaggerated treble, rhythm, etc.).

Just Google "Yamaha CD-S700" to have a read. Of course, it's only one persons perspective and nothing beats a home demo (maybe from the same dealer you bought the A-S700 from).

Happy hunting

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts